Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 02:56 PM
JPSFAB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine right now...........it was so simple. Great write ups everyone............it definitely helped me out. oh yeah, I got mine from AutoZone for $10.38 each it comes complete with the new ball, washer, and the new rod. Man!!! what a deal. It only took me 10 min. to do both.
Old 02-22-09, 11:11 AM
gephross10
Rookie

nice baseball bat. I'm using a yard stick before I have the time to fix this. Thanks for posting this, its very helpful. =]
Old 02-22-09, 05:36 PM
projekt
Driver

for everyone who wants to go to advanced auto place you can get there support lifts for only 10.98+tax each. Just say autozone has it for only 10.98 and they will price match it. I had to wait only less then 24 hours. Ordered at 7pm and got it next thing in the morning. While at Autozone had to wait 4 days.
Old 02-22-09, 05:58 PM
buffalosoj
Pole Position

I got mine at advance autoparts also. It's nice to let the trunk up and not worry about getting hit in the head anymore.
Old 03-17-09, 04:54 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just did this today and it took maybe 15 minutes tops.

I used the Advance Auto parts version of the lifts and they are a perfect fit for my 98.

Having an open flame so near the gas tank and the wire that run near the area was out so I used a heat gun kind of like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66001

Heated for about 60 seconds they come off like there is nothing locking them at all. The other end just prys off with a screw driver. A 7/16 open end wrench installs the new ball and the strut just snaps on after that.

Great thread!
Old 06-03-09, 11:16 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just finished mine and it was fairly easy. thanks for all the info people. now i can "pop trunk on dem hattaz"
Old 07-01-09, 06:35 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread (I've posted a few times in here actually), but my luck hasn't changed. The two bolts still won't budge, even after I let the car sit out in the sun the entire afternoon in 95+ degree weather! I'm starting to get very frustrated. -_________-
Old 07-01-09, 07:08 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread (I've posted a few times in here actually), but my luck hasn't changed. The two bolts still won't budge, even after I let the car sit out in the sun the entire afternoon in 95+ degree weather! I'm starting to get very frustrated. -_________-
did you spray a good amount of wd40 on it then trying to move the bolts?

do that and put ALL your might onto unbolting it justa little bit and it should give.
Old 07-02-09, 10:33 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigManne
i just finished mine and it was fairly easy. thanks for all the info people. now i can "pop trunk on dem hattaz"
Wish I could "pop da trunk" as well...been messing with the bolts for over 1 week and these fu@^ers are beyond stuck...I just gave up..the new trunk supports are laying in the trunk on the floor
Old 07-05-09, 02:45 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by One_jZ_SC3
Wish I could "pop da trunk" as well...been messing with the bolts for over 1 week and these fu@^ers are beyond stuck...I just gave up..the new trunk supports are laying in the trunk on the floor
Have you tried a cheater bar yet? I have a 1½ foot long pipe about 1 inch in diameter that fits over a wrench, that has saved me on many such occasions.
Old 07-09-09, 09:41 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Did mine today. Used a flame lighter on the bolt for about thirty seconds and off they came. Used an ice pick to pry off the clip on the other end. Used a rope from trunk lid "U" to the steering wheel to hold it up. Now it raises sometimes and sometimes not, even tho its the unit for the spoiler. Plan on unscrewing the bolt joint a turn to give the piston more oomph. Can't see where i could take any weight off the trunk lid to lighten. Looking for ideas. Thanks for all the write ups - they really helped.
Old 07-10-09, 12:52 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Today I removed the ball joint ends, gave each two turns out and replaced. As for the bumpers, one was turned off to the side and the other was in the trunk in a bag of parts. Replaced both. The trunk now opens like a dream. Thanks everybody.
Old 07-11-09, 11:47 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okbobbo
Did mine today. Used a flame lighter on the bolt for about thirty seconds and off they came. Used an ice pick to pry off the clip on the other end. Used a rope from trunk lid "U" to the steering wheel to hold it up. Now it raises sometimes and sometimes not, even tho its the unit for the spoiler. Plan on unscrewing the bolt joint a turn to give the piston more oomph. Can't see where i could take any weight off the trunk lid to lighten. Looking for ideas. Thanks for all the write ups - they really helped.
I might try this now since the bolts are now stripped lol!
Old 07-11-09, 09:07 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Thought the lift problem was solved after unscrewing the ball end two turns, but the lid doesn't pop the first time. If nudged it goes up. If closed and tried again it goes right up and will continue to do so until left to sit awhile. Tried rubber conditioner all around the seal hoping it was sticking but made no difference. Might try another turn???
Old 07-11-09, 09:20 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Give it up

You can turn it all day and night and it won't matter.
Who told you that "turning the ball ends" (whatever that means) would accomplish anything?

The lifts are not meant to always pop up the lid- sometimes you get lucky and it happens for a while on a new set, but eventually that stops working.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 07-11-09 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...