Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Old 04-12-08, 09:45 PM
Smartazz91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to howiedoit, I no longer have to use my shoulder to hold open the trunk. No more rushing to load the it before the lid comes crashing down.
I used the $19 StrongArm supports from Advanced Auto. As instructed, I used the 12mm to get the stock struts off. No heat, just elbow grease. I used an 11mm to cinch down the new ball joints.

GREAT THREAD!
Old 07-28-08, 05:28 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by srighter
You probably don't have to, but I bought the more expensive trunk struts. They are $50+
Original Part No: 60D03 W321
New: W0133-1628624

* Remove Back Trunk Panel
A. Pull Panel away from metal friction clips on top, then sides.
B. Remove 2 plastic friction screws, 1 on bottom left side, other is on bottom right side.
C. Complete, now remove panel from trunk.

* Remove Old Trunk Struts
A. First Remove ball-joint bolt that is near you. Do not worry about nut on other side, it is welded and will not turn.
Tip: Use adjustable wrench, is wider and has better grip.
(Important) Heat wrench on stove, you will strip the ball-joint bolt if it's not heated. Is more safe then having open flame next to your gas-tank.
Tip. Loosen: For driver side; turn wrench down. For passenger side; turn wrench up.
Tip: Keep turning the wrench until the ball-joint bolt is removed, is a tight fit & will take a few minutes.
C. Use flat head screw driver and bend retainer clip. Strut will slide off.
Tip: You only need to bend one retainer clip, not both.
(Important) Install your new strut after you remove the first, trunk door becomes heavy!

*Installing New Trunk Strut
A. Place washer/spacer onto ball-joint bolt.
B. Screw ball-joint bolt with washer into trunk door. Use wrench, no heat this time.
Tip. Tighten: For driver side; turn wrench up. For passenger side; turn wrench down.
Tip: If you're having trouble with the threading; use a socket wrench.
C. Install fare end of strut first. Slide onto bolt past the retainer clips.
D. Install near end of stut into ball-joint bolt.
Tip: Add grease to new ball joint if you want.
Tip: You may need to open trunk all the way, or push down on the strut. You need to be strong, or find someone who is. Be careful, dont let hand slip.

Install trunk panel, clean up.

Love this thread... Awesome advice! I just did mine just this past weekend on my 97... I replaced mine with the Strong Arm 4508. Though I don't have a gas stove to heat my wrench and it's short any ways to heat it. I heated the the 12mm bolts for 10 secs w/ my zippo and it just comes right off... Made me think that probably I really didn't have to use heat in the first place, but the way people here mentioned of stripping the bolts, I didn't want to push my luck. Putting on the 11mm bolts were a bit tricky though... I end up putting the bolts on first, then slide in the ball joints and push in the clips. I don't have to use my head to hold up my trunk any more... hahaha... Maybe it's the Texas heat, but it opens up slow a few times...

Last edited by dAng_bAy; 07-28-08 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 06:15 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I hate that 100 year old thread lock you find in the ball joint threads.
Old 07-28-08, 07:21 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, I'm glad this thread has helped a lot of people. Thanks again to Perry for the written instructions...as well as for all the follow-up advice in this thread!
Old 07-29-08, 03:22 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix88
Hey Howie I did the same thing ... the right trunk lift support bolt is stripped and I can't get it off How did you go about getting your bolt off after your stripped it? Any sort of tricks? Dam thing is so tight, I wish I didn't strip it . If anyone has any sudgestion please post... need help bad.
ease it slowly working it left to right slowly taking it out.... if it snaps your gonna have to drill it out and take your time on it after wards check the threads and use a rethreading tool and rethread the hole you could use a helicoil but i'd say rethread is your best chance and if you ca
n't do that um your gonna have to fabricate something
Old 08-26-08, 12:55 AM
tc32
Rookie

o nice... i was getting annoyed of my trunk always falling on me when i get something from it... mayb ill try this
Old 08-28-08, 12:32 PM
GKlexus
Driver School Candidate

Where in the Washington, DC suburbs (specifically MD) can I find the StrongArm 4508. I have checked Advanced Auto and a couple of other parts stores. I have a 97 SC 400 with spoiler.
Old 12-11-08, 10:39 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newb question, but I want to make sure I'm attacking the correct bolt (in the red box, it's very stubborn):

(Picture credit goes to howiedoit)

Last edited by felixsc300; 12-11-08 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 07:13 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

I still can't get it off. I tried attaching a wrench and hammering it, heated the bolt for 1-2 minutes using a lighter, and sprayed WD-40. > Any other suggestions before I go mad? Does the cold have anything to do with the tightness of the bolt?
Old 12-12-08, 08:16 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try holding a lighter to it for a longer duration. Are you turning it the right direction?
Old 12-12-08, 08:35 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, for the driver's side I turn it down (counterclockwise direction).

So I should light it for about 5 minutes?
Old 12-12-08, 08:43 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Felix.
Yeah, for the driver's side I turn it down (counterclockwise direction).

So I should light it for about 5 minutes?
Downwards is clockwise for the driver side dude.

[edit] looked at pic and yes, downwards is counter-clock if you look at it at the bracket's perspective instead of the shock. I remember when I did this I just followed everything to a T and all went well.

Last edited by mr2tosc4; 12-13-08 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-12-08, 08:49 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by srighter
Tip. Loosen: For driver side; turn wrench down. For passenger side; turn up.

Tip. Tighten: For driver side; turn wrench up. For passenger side; turn wrench down.
If srighter is wrong, then I've been turning in the opposite direction the entire time... I'm glad I didn't strip it.

I'll go out and give it (turning upwards for driver's side) a try.
Old 12-13-08, 01:05 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea if they are the factory shocks then there is some loctite on there that should be heated up. Maybe the cold weather makes it longer for it to soften.

As for which direction to turn the wrench, you should be pushing the handle of the wrench downwards (counter clockwise) if referring to the pic on post #188. Try to get some more leverage out of it by attaching a pipe to the end of the wrench. Hope you are using a non-adjustable wrench.

srighter provided the correct information.

Last edited by TheMole; 12-13-08 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-13-08, 01:13 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMole
Yea if they are the factory shocks then there is some loctite on there that should be heated up. Maybe the cold weather makes it longer for it to soften.

As for which direction to turn the wrench, you should be pushing the handle of the wrench downwards (counter clockwise) if referring to the pic on post #188.

srighter provided the correct information.
It's about 40-50 degrees, and I noticed a lot of members who said it was a breeze swapped out the struts during the summer. So I'll probably stick the lighter under there for 5 minutes or so during.

Thanks for verification of the info and also for your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...