Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 04:06 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooooooooh i see it lol. the first time i looked at your pics i was doing the the wife look at it.(u know the quick scan and saying it looks nice thing lol). nice setup you got there.
Old 12-06-10, 12:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thanks for the comments.
I wanted to bump this up and ask anyone else who has done this do they use G1 or G2, i am reading some conflicting information on the internet now about which G is for TDC #1 and which one the aem wants (Tdc #1 i think) but wanted to confirm.

This source seems reliable and says G2 is TDC #1 for a 7m-gte.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h23.pdf

so now i need to confirm the AEM wants TDC #1 and that installing the 7m cps with the engine at TDC #1 and zero on the crank will result in the cps trigger pointing at G2.

I may swap it back to G1 instead of G2 and see if I can notice any difference.

A worthy note is that the 2jzgte vvti head has a trigger on cylinder #6 only and seems to also run fine with the aem, I just dont understand how the AEM can run sequential injection without caring the cam signal is 180 degrees out. clearly there is something in the software to correct for this or it doesn't matter if the injection is 180 off, or somehow the rear cam sensor signals tdc #1 (why would it do that?)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-06-10 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 02:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

updated post 6 with coil on plug info, been recieveing alot of PM's
Old 12-09-10, 12:19 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic info! A mod needs to make this tread a sticky!
Old 12-13-10, 11:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I swapped G2 back to G1 and I feel like it runs the same, but it seemed to start better now.
after a few more mornings of messing with it I went back to G2, and it started the same. I am gonna stick with G2 I guess. It doesn't seem to matter on the AEM.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-14-10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 07:20 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I've been running completely distributorless with VVT-i coils and no CDI for about 5 years - just stock coils and plug wires. Best dyno to date is 866whp @ 33psi (with wheel spin) at Titan Motorsports' grand opening.

My point is that the VVT-i setup is very stout AND reliable and does not require a capacitive discharge ignition or DLI to make big power.

-scott
Old 12-14-10, 07:26 AM
Is300Tree2
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have info for using a TT ECU? I dont plan to make big numbers to use AEM. im mainly looking to stay in budget without being cheap. SO hence using a TT ecu. From reading it looks like alot of the pinout info was for using AEM.
Old 12-14-10, 09:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
FWIW, I've been running completely distributorless with VVT-i coils and no CDI for about 5 years - just stock coils and plug wires. Best dyno to date is 866whp @ 33psi (with wheel spin) at Titan Motorsports' grand opening.

My point is that the VVT-i setup is very stout AND reliable and does not require a capacitive discharge ignition or DLI to make big power.

-scott
Thanks for the good info Motorheaddown, reading some of your threads and posts is what convinced me to use the vvti coils over the TT ones. definitely glad I listened

Originally Posted by Is300Tree2
Anyone have info for using a TT ECU? I dont plan to make big numbers to use AEM. im mainly looking to stay in budget without being cheap. SO hence using a TT ecu. From reading it looks like alot of the pinout info was for using AEM.
the only difference between wiring these up to an AEM and a TT ecu is that you have to manually connect pins 52 and 57, 53 and 56, and 54 and 55. they are internally connected in the aem, for the TT ecu we have to manually connect them to run 3 sets of coilpacks in wasted spark. pretty simple and straight forward.
read the following thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-odb1-sc3.html
Old 12-14-10, 09:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice work Ali.
Old 12-14-10, 10:28 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Thanks for the good info Motorheaddown, reading some of your threads and posts is what convinced me to use the vvti coils over the TT ones. definitely glad I listened

the only difference between wiring these up to an AEM and a TT ecu is that you have to manually connect pins 52 and 57, 53 and 56, and 54 and 55. they are internally connected in the aem, for the TT ecu we have to manually connect them to run 3 sets of coilpacks in wasted spark. pretty simple and straight forward.
read the following thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-odb1-sc3.html
I need to try the TT setup on the MK4 and see what happen, I don't have that much patience anymore maybe because i am not boosted lol.
I have a couple of aristo harnesses i will let you know.
Old 04-11-11, 09:36 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is seriously!!!!

i didn't want to do it at first but this is to easy to pass up!!!

*BUMP FOR A STICKY*
Old 04-12-11, 04:58 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I can't believe CL guys are not taking advantage of this mod, simple, easy and cheap and reliable power.
This mod will be great for the 1jzgte because the ECu will be freaking out from time to time lol and na-t on safc and the car keep stalling.

Yes this should and will be sticky...
Old 04-12-11, 05:50 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ali do you know if I'd be able to use GTE coils and igniter??

Thanks!
Old 04-13-11, 06:12 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc

Thanks!
Yes you can run gte coils and ignitor but it will be a little bit more wiring but yes i can be done.

This is cheapest mod you can do for 500rwhp, no standalone is needed.
Old 04-13-11, 06:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I can't believe CL guys are not taking advantage of this mod, simple, easy and cheap and reliable power.
This mod will be great for the 1jzgte because the ECu will be freaking out from time to time lol and na-t on safc and the car keep stalling.

Yes this should and will be sticky...
You are talking about doing this mod with the TT Ecu Mod. The combination is great cheap engine management, hands down destroys the ge ecu + safc combination.

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc

Thanks!
Yes, you will need the same TT ecu or a standalone, an I would never run them on a standalone like the aem cause GTE coils are terrible in wasted spark, only run them if you are running a TT ecu which can fire them individually in which case you will be ok If you are na-t with a FFIM, still takes about double the wiring of the vvti setup cause there are 6 triggers from ecu to ignitor instead of 3, and 6 coil wires from ignitor to coilpacks instead of 3.

Personally unless you already have them I would go with vvti coils as the GTE coils are a huge pain when one fails and additionally and most important they do not fit under the GE overhead intake manifold without trimming 1 or 2 of the boots, and even then im not sure how well it fits. I would just sell them and get vvti coils, but thats just me. I have listed all the negatives I know of.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Yes you can run gte coils and ignitor but it will be a little bit more wiring but yes i can be done.

This is cheapest mod you can do for 500rwhp, no standalone is needed.
Definately, if you do the TT ecu mod w/JDM ecu(I linked the writeup on page 1 somewhere), you will get a map based tune, you can do this mod and delete the distributor + run coilpacks, and you will still be under the cost of a standalone or decent piggyback ecu. I am tired of seeing people running GE ecu's and trying to boost, its never consistent. Toyota gave us a Turbo ecu which literally plugs in and has the same ecu connector with 90% of all the wiring done for us, all you have to do is wire up the coilpacks, wire up a map and iat sensor, install the right injectors (or use safc) and you will be happy boosting.

Quick Reply: Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks