Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 12:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

on some cars the main ecu puts out the tac signal. you can put a spare pin into the ignitor and also use that as a tach signal, both of them should read the same.
Old 10-15-14, 07:30 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone that has helped in this thread, it is a huge help to me as I setup my NA-T with MS3x/LQ9s!
Old 02-23-15, 05:19 AM
Erikkoglin
Driver School Candidate

Anyone chime in on mounting the vvti coils on a non vvti head? Custom bracket or is there something that works?
Old 02-23-15, 09:06 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erikkoglin
Anyone chime in on mounting the vvti coils on a non vvti head? Custom bracket or is there something that works?
Not needed, the suction from the boot is enought to keep it from moving
Old 02-23-15, 01:12 PM
Erikkoglin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
Not needed, the suction from the boot is enought to keep it from moving
hmm, i put the coil packs on and i can pull them off very easily, ill just put fipg around the blue boots to the head. that should work.
Old 02-23-15, 06:34 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't use no fipg on them , just get new boots..they are cheap from the dealer.
Old 08-17-17, 05:19 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ali

i am finally going to have to do this conversion , my hks dli is finally about to crap out after 10 yrs of service and you cant find these anymore so might as well do this vvti cop upgrade .. i have done many things on these/my cars from swaps to builds but never done this particular upgrade.. I understand the entire process but have 1 question , the resister mod on the cluster , is this the same for a 97 cluster .. and 2nd question , on 98 -2000 modelas having same cluster as 97 , how do they get tach signal
Old 08-17-17, 07:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

^^^ If I am getting your question right ....

as far as I know , 98-2000 SC clusters do not need any resistor mods for the tach to work on a 2jzgte swap . I didn't do anything on my 2000 SC400 cluster .

97 clusters ... jump R2

lower years, you jump R109 or R73
Old 08-17-17, 03:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Wow been forever since I have seen this thread. Gerrb is right as usual. 97 jump the mentioned resistor. 98+ were vvti so they are already setup for the vvti ignitor. All the clusters get the signal from a wire coming from the ignitor.
Old 08-17-17, 03:34 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gerrb
^^^ If I am getting your question right ....

as far as I know , 98-2000 SC clusters do not need any resistor mods for the tach to work on a 2jzgte swap . I didn't do anything on my 2000 SC400 cluster .

97 clusters ... jump R2

lower years, you jump R109 or R73
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Wow been forever since I have seen this thread. Gerrb is right as usual. 97 jump the mentioned resistor. 98+ were vvti so they are already setup for the vvti ignitor. All the clusters get the signal from a wire coming from the ignitor.
Thx guys as always. Where is r2 resistor and for 98 cluster what is different with those being able to get the tachometer signal vs the 97
Old 08-18-17, 04:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

as Ali mentioned ... signal comes from the ignitor ... same for all SCs

disassemble the 97 cluster ... organize those screws.. they are not all of the same length . You should know where you got them out and should go back to the same place.

R2 resistor jumped ....then close & re assemble cluster

Old 09-04-17, 06:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Ok need help from the guru's , mainly Ali and Gerrb

Yesterday finally attempted to do conversion. I have bought a premade cop harness from cx racing with clips and all as it was well made for 70.00. before wiring in I checked continuity for each coilpack connector and all verified . I had a spare ge harness and butchered it to get matching wires to splice in from new wires coming from dh61 igniter harness so I had original pins at the ends (I de pinned wires from spare harness ECU plug) and after making this harness checked continuity as well and all checked fine from pin to wire end. De pinned original igniter pins one by one and pinned correctly to new dh61 igniter and verified like 5 times.

Heres my main problem. It's pin location on my ECU plug. My car is a 97 and ECU pin out doesn't quite match up. I already have pins in position 52 and 57 and 53 and 54 55and 56 which I don't understand. I plugged t3 and t2 into slots which I thought were 55 and 56 and adjusted all settings. (one setting I found odd in my aem cal was in the options for setting cam /crank to falling edge , mine was set to cam falling edge and crank to rising edge)..

Car tries to start but will not idle so I can't sync timing unless she at least stays running ... it sounds like it was running on one cyl.. I have a feeling its due to t2 and t3 not in correct positions

What's your take
Old 09-04-17, 08:45 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe was tired and frustrated and hot and sweaty yesterday but this morning while sitting on throne lol I had my spare ecu plug with it pinned in front of me and was looking at the pin out. .. when looking at aem pin out diagram should I be looking at the plug from side where pins go in or from side showing pins themselves. For at least on this harness ecu plug if I turn it looking at side where you insert pins then pin 57 and 58 are there and 56 thru 51 empty ...i haven't looked at my own ecu plug yet to verify but will do later but if my memory serves me correctly I think I saw 57 and 58 occupied but 56 55and 54 not but 52 was ( may on 97 harness they tie 52 and 57 together somehow.

Man I hope I was being a dumbass as electrical stuff not really my thing

So which way should I be looking at ecu connector when referencing aem 1101 /6101 pin out diagram
Old 09-04-17, 10:06 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Maybe was tired and frustrated and hot and sweaty yesterday but this morning while sitting on throne lol I had my spare ecu plug with it pinned in front of me and was looking at the pin out. .. when looking at aem pin out diagram should I be looking at the plug from side where pins go in or from side showing pins themselves. For at least on this harness ecu plug if I turn it looking at side where you insert pins then pin 57 and 58 are there and 56 thru 51 empty ...i haven't looked at my own ecu plug yet to verify but will do later but if my memory serves me correctly I think I saw 57 and 58 occupied but 56 55and 54 not but 52 was ( may on 97 harness they tie 52 and 57 together somehow.

Man I hope I was being a dumbass as electrical stuff not really my thing

So which way should I be looking at ecu connector when referencing aem 1101 /6101 pin out diagram
Wiring diagrams are pictured as if you're looking at the ecu (pins coming out). If you're looking at the back of the wiring harness (side with wires coming out), then its the same as the diagrams and pin 1 is top right.

If you're looking at the female side of the plug (the one with all the holes), then pin 1 will be top left.
The following users liked this post:
lexforlife (09-04-17)
Old 09-04-17, 10:22 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Ed - whenever you are dealing with our Lexus SC wiring , regardless of which one in our cars ... hold on any connector facing you meaning pins in front of you with the lock tab on top and wires behind . Number one (#1) pin will be the top left most ... then go to the right most counting ... then go to the next row continue counting left to right till you get to the pin number you are after . That will be the easiest way to find which pin you are looking for ... then just grab the wire behind for that particular pin .

You get the hang of counting those pins with the way I just mentioned , then it will eventually be easy as time pass.

ECU or component pinning will be the opposite .. Top Right is #1... then count going to left .. then next row .. right to left, till you get to the pin of the ECU or component that you are after .
The following users liked this post:
lexforlife (09-04-17)

Quick Reply: Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks