Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 04:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

are you talking about the tt ecu mod because this is the distributor delete thread.
no you cannot use a maf sensor instead of a map sensor unless you change ecu's.
the ecu's are specific to either map sensor or maf sensor you cannot just swap them out.
Old 03-12-14, 12:32 PM
psimatthew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes sorry for not being more specific... I'm swapping the 2jz-ge ecu for the 2zj-gt ecu all i have left to do is wire in map and iat but doesnt the maf get both those readings? Or does it just get iat and i still need to wire in a map sensor

thanks again
Old 03-12-14, 02:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the stock MAF gives an airflow signal to the ecu, and also has a built in IAT.

The Map sensor gives a Pressure reading to the ecu, which using the volumetric efficiency of the engine (constant variable) the ecu can look up the airflow very accurately via a look up table.

Motors with Map sensors usually have a seperate IAT, and Motors with Maf sensors usually have a build in IAT simply because that is the most convenient place to put one since the air passes through the maf anyways its been like that since the 80's when they used the first flapper type maf's.

you could reuse your maf as an intake temp sensor, and install just the map sensor, but the point is generally to get rid of the bulky restrictive maf and have a free flowing setup, so its worth it to get even a generic GM IAT and stick it in the piping somewhere or even in front of the turbo pipe and get rid of the maf completely.

remember on a USDM 2JZ-GTE the IAT is part of the maf anyways which is pre-intercooler so as long as you have an IAT somewhere in the air stream with the gte ecu it will be happy, it does not have to be in the intercooler piping, I know mine isn't and I am on a JDM ecu with the map sensor and my IAT is in the 4" turbo filter pipe the ecu does not care that much.
Old 03-19-14, 11:28 PM
subeone
Driver School Candidate

she'll be going under the knife guys !
Old 03-20-14, 07:18 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

So those of us who are keeping the stock distributor base (with the cam/crank sensors), what are people doing to cover it? Mark's Engineering makes a nice piece, but costs about as much as my cam's did. Wondering if anyone has a simpler solution, like using a PVC cap or something.
Old 03-20-14, 08:05 AM
hsokhi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Halon
So those of us who are keeping the stock distributor base (with the cam/crank sensors), what are people doing to cover it?
Funny you should ask that I just made some nice covers yesterday and I have one extra. Pm me and I'll show you
Old 03-20-14, 11:00 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

PM'd

I was starting to think what if I just chopped my old distributor cap in half making it more or less a flange at that point. Then brining it to Lowe's, finding a PVC cap or something that's of similar diameter and adhere it all together with liquid nails for something, plasti-dip it, then let 'r buck. Probably cost less than $10 all said and done. It may not be billet awesomeness that the Supra world loves, but I'm still a DSMer at heart so perfect for me
Old 03-20-14, 07:05 PM
subeone
Driver School Candidate

Ali i want to reaffirm this again,

flipping the TPS wires in my GE tps plug from 1-4 to 4-1 is guaranteed to work on a GTE tps/tb?

i'm just curious to see if anyone has done it. I've heard stories that the ECU could only read 30-100% tps with such modification but i haven't verified online.

my TT ecu mod/ distributor-less mod continues

edit:
per say this

Last edited by subeone; 03-20-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 12:35 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
PM'd

I was starting to think what if I just chopped my old distributor cap in half making it more or less a flange at that point. Then brining it to Lowe's, finding a PVC cap or something that's of similar diameter and adhere it all together with liquid nails for something, plasti-dip it, then let 'r buck. Probably cost less than $10 all said and done. It may not be billet awesomeness that the Supra world loves, but I'm still a DSMer at heart so perfect for me

function over form.
and why spend 100 dollars + on just a shiny cover? just because its a supra doesnt mean what they are doing is right!
Old 03-26-14, 01:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yes if you have a GE harness and want to use a gte throttle body and gte tps, then you just flip the 4 wires so its a mirror image.
GTE main tps is E2, IDL, VTA and VC from left to right with the tab up looking at TPS (not connector).
GE main tps is VC, VTA, IDL and E2 from left to right with the tab up looking at TPS (not connector).
Basically 100000%%% confirmed they are just flipped.

your idle speed is out of control, you need to possibly adjust the throttle body to let in less air or maybe an issue with the idle valve if you have one on there.

what are you doing grounding wires like that, you are likely to mess something up on the ecu if you touch the wrong wires, and the tps does not get grounded to a regular ground like touching it to the intake manifold, it gets grounded to a special sensor ground which is a special pin on the ecu for 5V engine sensors.

see the pins below

For my cover I was going to do the cut it in half and form something with a spare one, but for the time being I just took a stock cap and cut off all the 7 tops with a dremel/hacksaw and then I just hit it with some sandpaper to smooth out the plastic edges and hit it with some black plastidip and it looks like it came that way. Its still very large but the tips and the leads are what touched my intake before, so no touching at all now but still the giant cover.
would like to make a smaller one but haven't gotten to it. maybe someone will make an aluminum one and not try and charge an arm and a leg for it.

I could probably design one if I knew which software to use and where to get them machined.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-26-14 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 06:43 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought a nice piece off hsokhi . I may still make one from the old diz cap though just for fun.
Old 03-27-14, 08:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

do you have any links for these distributor caps, the nice ones?
just looked on marks engineering didn't see it.
Old 03-27-14, 08:14 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my dizzy delete cover/cap from a forum member here, dawhorl21.

He machined it himself, he can put a logo on it of leave it blank. I chose a blank one, $75 picked up. It really cleaned things up, looks nice.

Name:  IMG_4253_zps9e0678e2.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4252_zps5ebee498.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4254_zpsd18e4e2c.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  49.7 KB
Old 03-27-14, 08:36 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Mark's Engineering has a couple pics on his Facebook page I think.

Hsokhi - hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but here is the pic he send me of his.

and he said he can do logos for extra $$ as well

They look real nice. But really a plasti-dipped Home Depot one would probably look fine and cost hardly anything.
Old 03-27-14, 08:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

those look great, I would probably pick one up looks like good work. Def like the lexus logo not sure about the writing on it though. I figured someone would make some sooner or later. I haven't been motivated to make a 1 off plastic piece I rather wait for one of these aluminum pieces, I have plenty of projects that need fab and that is very low on the list.

yeah I just did the quick home depot version to not hit the intake pipe and keep the sensors in the distributor covered. I don't like to leave the cap off for very long who knows what kind of affect it may have over time. I will hold out most likely now till someone starts selling those that is exactly what I wanted/wanted to have made.

Quick Reply: Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks