Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sad morning.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 01:19 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sad morning.

My first issue with the GTE. Well It started off good I was cruising to work, decided just to boost it quick in 2nd, tires spun I let off gas and gave it gas again and NOTHING, car just shut off, coasted to the side of road to check the obvious.. IC pipes look all good, its getting fuel pressure, vac lines are all good no loose wires, all fluid levels are good, it just turns over now and thats it, had it towed and got a ride to work My only guesses mabey a sensor or even the ecu. But its too cold to diagnose.

Just thought id share
Old 11-26-10, 10:43 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get fuel pressure and sparks you need a CEL or an ECU code for this one... I got no idea on the cause of the problem.
Old 11-27-10, 05:30 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^ Ya I don't think it threw a CEL. Just really weird how it happened I just posted to see if someone else had a similar issue and mabey a hint to check first, before I start going down the list.
Old 11-27-10, 07:02 AM
Pipe
Pole Position

Unhappy

Dude your not the only one having an effed up morning my motor just gave out on me "rod knock" I caosted it to a spot in the parking lot called my job my boss is sending me a tow truck and I'm sitting now waiting for it to show up.I need my car to get to work so I have to have it up and running again ,I might buy a JDM motor today .will I have any problems or is it direct plug n play?
Old 11-27-10, 12:43 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Pipe Dude your not the only one having an effed up morning my motor just gave out on me "rod knock" I caosted it to a spot in the parking lot called my job my boss is sending me a tow truck and I'm sitting now waiting for it to show up.I need my car to get to work so I have to have it up and running again ,I might buy a JDM motor today .will I have any problems or is it direct plug n play?
Sorry to hear that bud, as for JDM swap the famous Search buttons' your best friend, and I have some info just search my user name. Good Luck

I Guess tomorrow I'll start looking into it. Whats the easiest way to rule out the ecu being bad would I have to check voltage coming into the ignitor? Anyone know the pin?
Old 11-27-10, 01:16 PM
tampa mike
Driver

check you cam angle and crank angle sensor(s) they have a tendency to just stop working
Old 11-27-10, 03:52 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will save you a hell-of a headache if what I tell you fixes your problem....this is a common problem but NO-ONE thinks of it...only reason I know is because its happened to me. The same thing happend...actually I was drifting and all of the suddent I got off the gas and lost all power. The keeper on my crank decided to shear and wasnt keeping the motor in time. Check that...if it helps then awesome...if not...im sorry.

This is the video of when it happened....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcyYTMuX0o
Old 11-27-10, 10:39 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

tampa mike check you cam angle and crank angle sensor(s) they have a tendency to just stop working
Thaks I'll check it out in the a m heres a link in how to test if anyone needs it http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/JZA8...0(2JZ-GTE).pdf

Carfreak70 This will save you a hell-of a headache if what I tell you fixes your problem....this is a common problem but NO-ONE thinks of it...only reason I know is because its happened to me. The same thing happend...actually I was drifting and all of the suddent I got off the gas and lost all power. The keeper on my crank decided to shear and wasnt keeping the motor in time. Check that...if it helps then awesome...if not...im sorry.
Thanks man, the keeper? never herd of that one are you referring to the star on the crank sprocket?
Old 11-28-10, 03:54 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea...maybe I should stop posting when I'm tired lol
Old 11-28-10, 09:57 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

First things first, get a new battery. Mine was doing the same **** (my old 1jz car) I'd be cruising, getting on it a little bit, then bam, car dies, no matter what gear or how hard the gas is applied, the alternator died a little later too.
Old 11-28-10, 11:11 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^ Thanks ya I have a new batt and alt. ** Update pulled spark/valve cover off and noticed one of the(2) hoses that run threw the spark plug valley connecting valve cover to valve cover was split open, kind of replaced it with a hose but its kinked bacause of the crazy angle its on, but that not my problem.

Next check for spark soon as I start fooling with coil the inside of connectors just crumble apart, so I'll need to replace those, but I plugged it in anyway and had someone crank the car, I saw no spark for a while then a tiny arc appeared very very weak! And I can smell gas as well. So Now im thinking its my coils or the ignitor,

Checked plug on ignitor and its got 12v coming in, then unplugged the big plug that goes to the coils and had someone crank it while I had a meter on the prongs tried them every way horizontally and vertical and got no voltage.

My guess is ignitor?

Any input on how I'm diagnosing it id appreciate.
Old 11-30-10, 07:18 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did jump E1 to T1 ? try to get a cel i am thinking you are getting the same code i had
code 14
Old 11-30-10, 08:55 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

quickGS300 Did jump E1 to T1 ? try to get a cel i am thinking you are getting the same code i had
code 14
No I haven't, are those terminals on the diagnostic plug on engine?
Old 11-30-10, 09:14 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc51
no i haven't, are those terminals on the diagnostic plug on engine?
yes .
Old 11-30-10, 09:23 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

For some reason I cant find it searching. Does anyone have a writeup or post one doing a obd1 test, such as which terminals to jump and how to verify the CEL if theres several codes?

Sorry I know there must be a thread I just cant find it

Quick Reply: Sad morning.