Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 02:10 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys.

I don't plan on revving much past the stock limit. Just enough to raise the mph on my shift points a little and to keep me from shifting into 4th gear on a quarter track with the 4.27 rear end.

I haven't had much time to work on it today but I have finished wiring in the Suprastick and verified that it works as much as possible. No TPS signal yet and of course couldn't check the speed signal.

I think the next step is to wire up the Innovative sensor and then plug in the power connector for the Adaptronic and make sure it powers up. Also would check the firmware version while I'm at it.

KC
Old 12-05-10, 07:04 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Good news and bad news.

I appear to have a dead LC-1 wideband, it is a brand new unit and I can't get it to do anything.

My battery is a bit low on voltage so maybe thats the problem. I'm going to try not to worry about it for now, hopefully when I get the car started and have more available voltage (car running = battery charging) it will work. Worst case I'll need to wire in my AEM unit untill I can sort it out.

I did however manage to power up the Adaptronic and update the firmware / load my settings, everything seems ok on that end for now.

KC
Old 12-05-10, 11:12 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

I just installed an lc-1 in my sc300, if you need any help let me know!
Old 12-05-10, 12:30 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 93MSB
I just installed an lc-1 in my sc300, if you need any help let me know!
I'm pretty sure I have it hooked up right. I have double checked it several times. My power and ground are both good, except low battery voltage (about 11.35 volts).

I'm going to continue on with installing everything else and get the car running then hope that it will work when the battery charges up some. Regardless I think I'm going to wire in the AEM unit, wouldn't be a bad idea to have it as a back up anyway.

KC
Old 12-05-10, 12:34 PM
93MSB
Instructor

are you getting any sort of output from the lc1? do you have the led and push button installed? is the led throwing any codes during calibration?
Old 12-05-10, 12:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 93MSB
are you getting any sort of output from the lc1? do you have the led and push button installed? is the led throwing any codes during calibration?
No output at all. Yes the LED and button are installed (did try without since they are optional) but the LED never flashes. I have tried both the quickstart directions and the directions on the CD manual (both of which are different) and nothing happens.

Will not connect to my laptop either. Just says to power on the connected device.

I really do hope it just due to my low battery voltage. I'm a little doubtfull that it is though since there is a code for low voltage and its not flashing at all. Unless it won't throw any codes until after being calibrated.

KC
Old 12-05-10, 12:51 PM
93MSB
Instructor

yeah sounds like a bad controller. do you have the blue and white wires connected to the same ground point? is anything else grounded to that point?

the led should be flashing with key on even without the sensor plugged in, however iirc it only throws code 2 if the sensor is unplugged.

Last edited by 93MSB; 12-05-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-05-10, 12:59 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that sucks. I hope the LC-1 I'm installing this week with my Megasquirt works.
Old 12-05-10, 02:21 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it sucks. I still have a little hope for it but not much.

I do have the blue and white wire along with the calibration wire all grounded at the same place. They are tapped into the ground for the Suprastick but I don't think that its the problem because I tried a different ground point without luck.

I will for now hook up the AEM's analog output to the Adaptronic. If I cant get the LC1 to work this will be my primary AFR reading to the ECU. Then, once I get a working unit (or get my current unit working) I'll plug it to the serial port and it will over ride the AEM's output and only use it as a back up.

I haven't worked on it much at all today. I plan to later tonight. Hopefully I'll have it running by tomorrow somethime.

KC
Old 12-05-10, 03:58 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Also, maybe you can verify this for me. Is the G2 cam signal at 5*BTDC on cylinder #1 compression? This is the info I came up with and just wanted to verify before my install.
Old 12-07-10, 03:12 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys, got the car running today. Tested some of the inputs and outputs. Had to sort out a few issues. Still have a few to sort. But, it idled great even with the 440cc injectiors!

KC
Old 12-11-10, 02:53 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,

Some after some more sorting, the car is running good and very drivable. I'm actually quite impressed how well it’s driving on an untuned map. Well, the map I have is actually quite well tuned but for a roots supercharged 1uz in a Shelby Cobra replica.

Comments (random):

The speed sensor board I made was creating a TON of electrical noise. As soon as a speed reading would show on the Adaptronic the car would start missing like crazy. For now I took it out and I'm using one of the speed sensors on the transmission.

For some reason my knock sensors are very noisy around 1800-2500 rpm. I'm getting crazy knock count between those RPMs. This is with NO LOAD at all. As a matter of fact it will do it in neutral. I have filtered this noise out with the background knock level adjustment. I am now ready to put the car in closed loop ignition.

The car idles quite well but for some reason, when first coming to a stop, it wants to die. There is a stall saver which keeps it from doing so but it hits it a few times before smoothing out. Only happens after moving then stopping, otherwise the idle is great. I have not yet figured this one out.

The AC is not working like I expected it to and I'm still not sure why. I just want the 420 to know that the AC is on so that the engine can idle up some like it would stock.

I discovered that megalog viewer can be used to view the 420's logs. Otherwise they are read in text format using Excel.

I have been driving around the last few days with the 420 in rapid learn mode. I think I'm now ready to try the slow coverage mode. This whole self-learning thing appears to work quite well.

KC
Old 12-15-10, 01:11 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Quick update:

Think I have my idle all figured out, time will tell.

Have had it up to a max of 6.5psi. Been to about 5200rpm. Haven't yet given it more than 50% throttle. It feels pretty damn amazing so far. Earlier today I was getting on the highway and chirpped 2nd and 3rd gear without really trying.

Have a plan to make the 420 know when the AC is on for idle up.

That's it for now. Car is running great. The 420's self tuning is very cool and works quite well. So far I'm loving it!

KC
Old 12-17-10, 07:16 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I am so mad. I had my car started up on monday but my brand new LC-1 also does not work! Now I have a barely drivable car and no way to change that.
Old 12-17-10, 07:26 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I am so mad. I had my car started up on monday but my brand new LC-1 also does not work! Now I have a barely drivable car and no way to change that.
I know, it sucks. I'm not so bad off as you though since I already had an AEM UEGO installed.

Here's a link. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/rma_form.php

Took awhile for them to get back to me but I am packing it up for shipping as I type this.

KC

Quick Reply: Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!