Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How do I tell if I have a Blown HG/Cracked Head or Cracked Block??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 07:05 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I tell if I have a Blown HG/Cracked Head or Cracked Block??

Heres the story. A buddy of mine gave me this and said it had a cracked block, he didnt want to deal with it anymore. It was in his SC and had a leaking coolant line and he drove it some, not sure for how long or how far.

So I started to tear it down and got everything disassembled but cant tell if it has a Blown HG, Bad-CRACKED warped head or a CRACKED BLOCK. The head looks to be OK but has rust inside, must've got water-coolant in it. No visible signs of cracks anywhere on the head.

Im not sure what a Blown HG looks like and the block looks good so far. I need to turn the crank tomorrow to see if Cylinder 1 and 6 are damaged. The inside cylinders looks to be OK. Would the crack be inside the Cylinder wall hence cracked block?

Ive done basic repairs but nothing like this. A little advice and what you think of the pics would help.

Number 1 spark plug came out nasty but the rest were OK.

Rust inside valve cover.

Headgasket

Head shots

Block shot

Old 11-22-10, 09:32 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a 1jz to me... toss the block don't worry about it and get a 1.5jz project going. I would send the head to the machine shop to get it checked out.
Old 11-22-10, 09:33 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The top of that headgasket looks like it had some coolant going past it. Do a compression/leak down test. That will reveal the results. either way-you pulled it apart...get a TT supra headgasket-slap it back together with some ARP's and have a ball!
Old 11-22-10, 11:05 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLDriver
looks like a 1jz to me... toss the block don't worry about it and get a 1.5jz project going. I would send the head to the machine shop to get it checked out.
Yeah, its a 1JZ, its almost complete. Needs a few sensors, and ECU. Wire harness is there and extended. If the head checks out good Im thinking about a 1.5jz.

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
The top of that headgasket looks like it had some coolant going past it. Do a compression/leak down test. That will reveal the results. either way-you pulled it apart...get a TT supra headgasket-slap it back together with some ARP's and have a ball!

ARP studs, do I need just the head studs or the main studs too? Just curious, where does the main studs go?

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp203-4205.php

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp203-5405.php
Old 11-26-10, 02:52 PM
karl300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For aluminun use dye penetrant to check for cracks. Take it to a machine shop for best results!