ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance & Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance-33/)
-   -   catalytic converter delete (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/533049-catalytic-converter-delete.html)

lslade 10-26-10 09:47 PM

catalytic converter delete

does anyone make a catalytic converter delete pipe for these cars?

americk22 10-27-10 12:23 AM

take it to a muffler shop lol...search button....its 50$ but pointless unless they are really clogged...better of deleting resonators or mufflers for louder sound if thats what you want. No HP gains from this..

tjfrom215 10-27-10 01:48 AM

don't delete your cats,
It's pointless and illegal, even though
the chance is pretty slim youll get caught,
why do it when you have no HP gains and
possibily even lose HP.

Kira X 10-27-10 03:26 AM

It does make pretty big difference in loudness. Me and a friend swapped out exhaust but his didn't have one of the cats on. My SC now sounds like a Supra TT coming down the street.

scviolence 10-27-10 04:26 AM

not illegal in florida lol...

Kira X 10-27-10 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by scviolence (Post 5892466)
not illegal in florida lol...

I want to go to Florida. You guys seem to have it good out there. We don't have any laws in Oklahoma either, but it still sucks. There's no palm trees and the roads are terrible:).

ShibbySC4 10-27-10 06:01 AM

South Carolina too. We don't have any state inspections. People drive around with the corners of their cars all smashed up and maybe one headlight working. No mufflers. Might as well not have any turn signals either since none of the people down here know how to use 'em. Cops only use any of it as a bs reason to pull you over. Hell, I got a warning for having bald tires, and I've never heard of that before. But back on topic, I didn't think you could remove/delete the cats. I went to a muffler shop that's recommended by everyone and they absolutely refuse to straight pipe my 400 cause they say it'll mess up the way it runs.

1WILLY1 10-27-10 06:41 AM

What about cutting your cats open and gutting them?

Will this throw a code?

My mechanic and I both think that my cats are slightly clogged.

I ran my car for a month with a cam sensor issue(i didnt know) and mechanics tell me that it could have melted my cats a bit.

Please I would like to hear more about cat delete or cat gutting-----pros and cons.

Thanks---mainly will it throw a code--I have a 93 sc4.

And you would think that by opening the cats right up and gutting them that this would help with the air flow if even just a little bit-----am I wrong to think that?

Kira X 10-27-10 06:48 AM

I've heard that it depends on which cat you cut. From what I've heard, you can cut one off and not throw any codes. If you mess with the others, it'll make the car run funny. I don't know if that's true or not though.

I have a cat cut off and it doesn't give any check engine lights. It does shoot out a little bit of blue smoke when I start it up sometimes. No problems other than that.

1WILLY1 10-27-10 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kira X (Post 5892605)
I've heard that it depends on which cat you cut. From what I've heard, you can cut one off and not throw any codes. If you mess with the others, it'll make the car run funny.

I have a cat cut off and it doesn't give any check engine lights. It does shoot out a little bit of blue smoke when I start it up sometimes. No problems other than that.

mmmmmm-----im wondering if it is due to the cat that your car is blowing blue smoke----I dont think so though-----cutting one cat wont do anything for air flow and if cutting the rest causes the car to run differently(negatively) than it isnt worth it.

Thanks kira

hyjaxx 10-27-10 08:54 AM

You DO get horsepower gains from freeing up your exhaust flow.
Cat's are good on supercharged cars and I'd leave it on if it's NA.
Plus, there's a whole lot of cat to cut off these cars.
And, yes you will get a CEL

2turbo1sup 10-27-10 10:08 AM

Bought obx headers + the mid pipe that replaces all the cats. Didn't feel any difference at all and I believe it was a waste of $. I might be selling it soon actually.

I felt MORE power gains with an intake/headers/exhaust on an integra than on the SC, and laughably ridiculous amounts when I put a downpipe on my MKIV.

with the SC or NA supra, it seems like a great big waste of time, money and effort. It dosn't even sound great.

1WILLY1 10-27-10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2turbo1sup (Post 5893106)
Bought obx headers + the mid pipe that replaces all the cats. Didn't feel any difference at all and I believe it was a waste of $. I might be selling it soon actually.

I felt MORE power gains with an intake/headers/exhaust on an integra than on the SC, and laughably ridiculous amounts when I put a downpipe on my MKIV.

with the SC or NA supra, it seems like a great big waste of time, money and effort. It dosn't even sound great.

Interesting I would not of guessed that---sorry it didnt work out for you.

Originally Posted by hyjaxx (Post 5892885)
You DO get horsepower gains from freeing up your exhaust flow.
Cat's are good on supercharged cars and I'd leave it on if it's NA.
Plus, there's a whole lot of cat to cut off these cars.
And, yes you will get a CEL

damn the cel---i wont do it if it throws a code.

lslade 10-27-10 06:37 PM

I kind of figured the power gains would be minimal if any, I was mainly looking for a cheap way to test the clogged cat theory.

Is it just me or does this dohc v8 seem way underpowered considering the other rockers toyota was building at that time? You'd think it would make 300 hp very easily (oh right, turbos).

I definitely can't complain about how smooth it is and the exhaust note is nice.

SC300_704 10-27-10 07:08 PM

it's illegal here in NC i believe but i'm not running any :)...hopefully i get by on inspection which is due next month :(