Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 01:24 PM
dabiggslam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SC300 No Spark

Hello CL Brothers & Sisters,
I am new to CL and really looking forward to getting my 93 in shape and post some pics.
I really need some help. My 93 SC300 isn't getting no spark. I was told it was the computer replaced that. Then I was told it was the distributor. I replaced that and still no spark. I need to get this running? Can any one give me some idea where to check next? I am done with repair shops. I need to do this on my own.
Old 10-02-10, 02:32 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Few things that are spark related. Are you getting B+ voltage to one of the two terminals on the coil with key in the "on" positoion?

Sorry for asking this question, but how do you know you are not getting spark?

Lawrence
Old 10-02-10, 02:41 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

i would use a scanner to check for code first..........crank sensor hopefully
Old 10-02-10, 04:01 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes im sorry but I dont know the answer------but I know this can be any number of things.Sorry to see your having these issues.

Start with checking the codes---you can do ti without a scanner-----u can use even a paper clip to do this ir a wire with two bare ends.

You can google the exact how to or ask someone here.

That is definitely your first step to diagnosing this issue.

Otherwise you can be guessing your way into the poor house with all kinds fo unecessary repairs.

Good luck
Old 10-02-10, 06:53 PM
dabiggslam
Driver School Candidate

Default No Spark

Thanks for the reply fellas. I did the spark test on the plugs. No spark. I did the test on the coil no spark. I have voltage to the coil. I replaced the coil and still no spark. After that I took it in to the repair shop, and they said it was the distributor. Now I am thinking it is the crankshaft sensor. If that is the case where is that located and would that cause a no spark situaution?
Old 10-02-10, 06:55 PM
dabiggslam
Driver School Candidate

Also I tried the code scan but all I got was a constant flash, no pauses whatsoever.
Old 10-02-10, 10:30 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

it could either be the crank sensor or one of the cam sensors. The crank sensor is located on the front of the engine down by the harmonic balancer. Did the shop pull any codes? Also how many miles are on the car?
Old 10-02-10, 11:06 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Well if its a 1993 Sc300 then your crank and cam sensors are in the distributor unless you have a GTE engine. Not likely you have two bad distributors. You most likely need to get a scope on the cam and crank signals and make sure they are working correctly.
Old 10-04-10, 05:33 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93twintrbo
Well if its a 1993 Sc300 then your crank and cam sensors are in the distributor unless you have a GTE engine. Not likely you have two bad distributors. You most likely need to get a scope on the cam and crank signals and make sure they are working correctly.

Need to give more accurate info if you're going to help him. Crank and cam sensors are not in the distributor.

Easiest thing to check will be grounds then crank and cam sensors. Ground on the lower intake runner can sometimes work loose.

Crank and cam sensor resistance values are in the service manual. Search will most likely give you some good info.
Old 10-04-10, 10:54 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Originally Posted by slappy96
Need to give more accurate info if you're going to help him. Crank and cam sensors are not in the distributor.

Easiest thing to check will be grounds then crank and cam sensors. Ground on the lower intake runner can sometimes work loose.

Crank and cam sensor resistance values are in the service manual. Search will most likely give you some good info.
If you would be so kind as to enlighten us and let us know where the crank and cam sensors are located in a pre-96 Ge motor.

Thanks
Old 10-05-10, 08:30 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As difficult as it is I'll admit I'm wrong here. Lots of reasons why I said that but none of them are valid. Not sure why I mis-remembered the GE engine getting crank and cam info anywhere but the exhaust cam distributor gear.

Egg on face....

Any GTE questions?
Old 10-05-10, 05:53 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Originally Posted by slappy96
As difficult as it is I'll admit I'm wrong here. Lots of reasons why I said that but none of them are valid. Not sure why I mis-remembered the GE engine getting crank and cam info anywhere but the exhaust cam distributor gear.

Egg on face....

Any GTE questions?
Its cool, we all make mistakes. OP, When the ignition switch is turned to the "on" position, does the check engine light illuminate?

Have you checked the EFI fuses? Also check to see if you are getting voltage to the PCM?

Checking the Grounds is very important. There are two bolts under the lower intake manifold and each have two eyelets. Make sure they are secure.

Lawrence
Old 11-20-10, 02:04 PM
dabiggslam
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Crank Sensor

Hey guys,
Thanks for the help. I just now started getting back in to messing with my Sc300. I did all the checks for the Igniter, distributor, coil, and ECU. The results indicated a bad ECM. I sent that back to the repair shop. Now I have no codes and the check engine light does not come on. Is this indicating the ECM is still bad? Do I need to just get a brand new ECM and forget about getting it rebuilt? One more thing. Why doues the auto parts store sell a crankshaft sensor if it is located within the distributor? I can't seem to locate it on the motor. Help!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-10, 03:15 PM
dawitchdoc
Driver School Candidate

If i may ask who did your rebuild?
Old 09-06-11, 09:05 AM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same problem

Did you ever resolve you issue, I have the same one and would appreciate any information on the resolution..thanks.