Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 powersteering hose question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 05:17 PM
adamsbomb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 powersteering hose question

Just curious if any of you have changed your powersteering hose on you sc400. I am having a hell of a time getting the bolt off the banjo fitting on the powersteering pump. It appears it is a 22 mm bolt, but you are not able to get a socket on it due to the proximity of the frame rail. I tried to get a wrench on it from the top and the bottom, I had more luck with it off the bottom (just tried to see what I could do with a 7/8, will pick up a 22 mm tomorrow) but there is no way I can find to position it and be able to get any leverage. Mind you I am a big guy, 6-1 280# and it would not budge one iota. Any points or tips? I searched but mostly find info on the sc300 which appears to be wide open.
Old 09-13-10, 12:26 AM
ttsukamoto
Rookie

I just finished changing out mine. The tools that saved me were a 22mm crows foot wrench, a universal joint, and an assortment of 3/8" extensions. You must be very patient though, as the crows foot wrench can only turn a few mm at a time before you must reposition it. It is extremely frustrating but very rewarding at the end. Once you unfasten it, you can screw it back in from the bottom of the car, and start the process all over again to tighten it. Good luck.
Old 09-14-10, 02:16 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Hose available?

My steering was jerky at low rpms. The mechanic replaced the dirty contaminated fluid and it is back to normal. But, he says hoses should be replaced.

My garage questions whether the hoses are still available. Where did you get replacement hoses? Were your hoses leaking or just showing cracks? Thanks.
Old 09-14-10, 02:29 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased the top (SC400) or larger diameter hose that's shaped and only a dealer sales item about a month ago when mine burst on me. Here is anything you could want to know about it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5634738-post14.html

In short though if you have an SC400 - it's part #443248A and it ultimately ended up costing me at the Lexus dealership $26 plus tax.

If it is the thinner or NOT shaped 8" hose - then you can actually go get regular power steering hose from the autoparts store for that. I was not so lucky - but then again - once you know what it is your getting and how much it is - it's no big deal.
Old 09-14-10, 03:22 PM
adamsbomb
Rookie

I cleaned all the hoses and ran the car at idle for about 5 minutes to see where it leaked, it is from the crimped on coupler on the high pressure hose off the pump. Mine has a threaded fitting in the middle, so I am just going to remove that section and have one made. On a side note, I have a driftmotion stainless steel hose you can have for 55 shipped. Cost me right at $78.00 I believe.