Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant reservoir tube help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 09:45 AM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant reservoir tube help

Hey guys new to this forum, great place to read from!

Bought a 1992 lexus SC400 3 months ago and has not been working for 2 months now just finished the timing belt job.

However I got a small issue concerning my radiator reinstallation. I can't remember where one of the tube goes and can't find any place to plug it either.

There are 2 power steering or tranny fluid tube that goes to the radiator on the bottom right side of the engine but I think one of these plugs on the coolant reservoir bottom tube... just can't get where it should go so here are some pictures to explain better.

Here you see the coolant reservoir

Coolant reservoir bottom tube

These 2 are the tubing just next to the alternator, can't tell if it's tranny fluid or power steering but I would think the bootom coolant reservoir tube goes on one of these... it can't go anywhere else because there is no where to plug it.

Showing clearly what is the issue on that one

The bottom coolant reservoir would be where the coolant goes in the radiator and engine but I searched everywhere on the net and here but can't find where it should go.

However I remember it goes on one of these 2 pipes I thought would be tranny or ps fluid but I'm probably wrong about that part.

Any help or pictures of the bottom radiator tubing would be MUCH appreciated, that's the only thing I need to do to finish this job and repair the SC.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-10, 01:20 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Need some help on this one I know I'm new but this type of information is really hard to get otherwise!

No need to have any mecanical experience just need some picture of how it is plugged on an SC400. Sorry for double post but after spending 2 months repairing this car I want to hear that v8 roar again.
Old 09-07-10, 03:13 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Bump

Pic of it here, the car now got 25mm ishiba spacers on rear and front light have been restored, tires are 235/50/16 Proxes T1R

Last edited by ShortyPH; 09-08-10 at 01:40 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-08-10, 01:43 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Bump, still can't sort it out but I remember that the prestone hose goes on one of the two plugs. Either way they all need to be plugged and can't find the right place to connect.

Would still like a picture of how the hoses are plugged on 92 to 95 model if anyone got free time or is willing to help me.
Old 09-09-10, 07:39 PM
CRuby
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son has a '92 SC400 also. Here's a pic showing where the coolant reservoir bottom tube goes. I think that's what you're looking for.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant reservoir tube help-picture2.jpg  
Old 09-10-10, 01:25 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Wow thanks a lot CRuby... I can't believe I haven't found this by myself, if it wasn't for this forum it would have taken me like 1 month to find out that thing...

Couple of final steps and the SC will be running again I'm happy I didn't threw 3,400$ at the sewer.

Next step: Bleed radiator and Hydraulic fan, by-pass of the fuel pump relay / changing fuel pump relay to see if it starts, if not changing the fuel pump will do it. Other step: change transmission fluid to see if the tranny will stop slipping / overheating. The new CSF radiator will probably help the transmission to run cooler.

Thanks a lot for the help!

EDIT: just installed the tube and it was very loose even with the little metal clamp, I switched for a smaller clamp but it is still a bit loose (can't pull the tube out too easily but it's removable by hand without much strenght, it is easy to move back and forth though... don't think this is normal)

That's the prestone feed line right? It needs to be thighter then it is right now I'm sure... I'll try to fix that but it's strange since it's the same tube I didn't changed it of took another one..

Last edited by ShortyPH; 09-10-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 10:38 AM
CRuby
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tube shouldn't be as loose as it sounds. It's probably old & you should replace it. Tubings cheap & better now rather than later when it decides to blow off. Mine has another tubing junction below the reservior, so possibly it was partially replaced by prior owner. But mine doesn't budge when I tug on it.