Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bosch F5DPOR Side Fire Plugs on a 2J?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 10:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Bosch F5DPOR Side Fire Plugs on a 2J?

Has anyone used these on a 2jz yet?

According to all the info I've read on these plugs (mostly from audi forums), they say Stage 1 and Stage 2 turbo Audis can get away using the bkr7eix plugs that we all know and use on our 2jz's (I run this plug on my na-t).

They also say some stage 2 and most Stage 3 Audi's experience breakup under boost using the bkr7eix. Their solution is the F5DPOR side fire plugs, which In every case I have read online fixes the breakup issue, because they are in fact better designed plugs, which is reflected in their price (over $10 a plug).

Its not just internet rumor either, these plugs alone did in fact fix the breakup issue my bro was having on his A6 2.7T after we put a reprogrammed ecu in which raised the boost, the stock iridiums would break up under the increased boost.

this is a sweet guide, and the plugs should fit on the 2jz.
http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=56.0

here is an excerpt from the above link
"Bosch F5DPOR (Platinum/Side Fire)** - Many members have found real good luck with the Bosch F5DPOR's, this is why: Despite all the "con's" about platinums (poor conductivity, poor heat dissapation qualities), the engineers at Bosch has managed to engineer the F5DPOR's so that they are still able to fire the A/F as well as pull away enough heat. The F5DPOR's unlike conventional plugs, use a "Side-Fire" technology, where instead of a standard "projected" electrode into the combustion chamber, the ground electrode was placed on the edge of the plug so that it fires closer to the flame kernel. By doing so, the F5DPOR's are able to still keep a thick center electrode (to pull heat away faster) without having to go with a smaller electrode in order to fire. The F5DPOR's heat range is also equavalent to that of a NGK #8 (TWO steps colder than stock), in order to give the same effect as a #7. But because it is a platinum plug and not copper, they will not foul "as" easily where a copper would have. Because of these two important attributes, Bosch was able to use these plugs to both last like other platinums (up to 60k), while still function under more extreme environments. Platinums however, still do not compare to iridiums in longevity, as well as heat/electro conductivity"

My next set of plugs I am going to try these out but I was wondering if anyone out there has beaten me to it on the 2jz and can share their experience.