Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92' SC300 - Car shaking a lot and white smoke out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 05:22 PM
2jzsoarerH
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not smoking on idle and no i only drove the car for couple of days when it was smoking.....and could it be the pcv valve?....b.c the hose that goes to my pcv valve is kinda flat instead of round....i cut the hose but i cut it too short...when i was changing the plugs...i felt it was too long...'stupid move....ill order a pcv valve and hose from toyota soon ...does any know the order number for the hose?
Old 10-15-10, 04:02 AM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You Pcv disconected will not make the car smoke. Pcv is only for emissions perpose and they say it helps releave pressure from the crank while it's running.

Their are many car enthusiest that just install a filter on the valve covers or some Racers install one way check valves on the exhaust run a hose from valve covers to it. So it's contriversial eather way.

Their is a realy nice writeup on www.SupraForums.com if your confused that explains in full detail.
Old 12-17-10, 04:43 PM
DrLex
Driver

I just picked up a 93 SC300 with this problem. Engine was flooded with gas soo much that the motor would no longer turn.

Owner sold the motor as a seized engine, but I tried to turn it the other way and it broke free.

It took me about 30 turns to get it to turn smoothly, finally it would turn over.

After a few minutes of trying to crank it started roughly and filled the neighborhood with smoke.

It would still run rough though and tons of gas smell. I tried to burn it all off by driving around but still obvious fuel dump from the injectors.

Installed my 93 GS300 ecu in the car and it instantly cleaned up and now runs fine. If I put the original sc300 ecu back in the car, it will miss a cylinder again.

Looks like we have reached the point where computers are starting to die.

So to confirm, rough idle, white smoke and a heavy gas smell, most likely the ECU is bad.
Old 06-20-11, 06:31 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Exclamation

I had the exact same problem described in the first post. I took the car to the shop to have it checked out to confirm it wasn't a blown head gasket. They said the #2 fuel injector was constantly spraying gas and they wanted to change out the ecu. I told them I would change it out myself. So, I put in a different ecu and the car doesn't shake or run rough anymore, but I'm still getting some white smoke. Is there anything else I need to do to get rid of the white smoke or will it go away with time?
Old 06-21-11, 07:00 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Khaos
I had the exact same problem described in the first post. I took the car to the shop to have it checked out to confirm it wasn't a blown head gasket. They said the #2 fuel injector was constantly spraying gas and they wanted to change out the ecu. I told them I would change it out myself. So, I put in a different ecu and the car doesn't shake or run rough anymore, but I'm still getting some white smoke. Is there anything else I need to do to get rid of the white smoke or will it go away with time?
I'm going to answer my own question. haha. So right after I swapped out the ECU, I only drove a couple blocks and I still had white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Today, I drove around several miles. At first, I still had white smoke, but it cleared up after about a mile.
Old 06-21-11, 10:53 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very glad to hear that the ecu apparently fixed ur problem.
Old 06-22-11, 02:21 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIGS
I'm very glad to hear that the ecu apparently fixed ur problem.
Yep. Its running like a charm right now. Thanks for the ECU!
Old 06-22-11, 05:17 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be a bad ECU if it is white smoke. or bad spark plugs..
Old 06-26-11, 10:32 PM
mbsmith
Driver School Candidate

Can you not bypass the fuel pump ecu? Theres a great writeup on the diy i believe. I did it to mine and its workin lime a charm
Old 06-27-11, 10:57 PM
mbsmith
Driver School Candidate

Ok well it did work like a charm lol. I was driving today and it started doing it all over again. Rough idle, smoke, check engine light and it died. Its very random itll come on then go off on and off. Does anyone have any ideas? Instead of jumping the wires to bypass the fuel pump ecu should i replace the entire ecu?
Old 09-14-11, 07:48 AM
myfonti
Driver School Candidate

does it matter if its an auto or manual ecu? i think i need one as im going through the same problem. the thing is i have a 92 manual. do i absolutely need a manual ecu? or can i use an auto ecu?

thanks, marlon
Old 09-16-11, 12:18 AM
redforeva
Rookie

this is ridiculous, i have the same exact problem

thanks for your inputs
Old 10-20-12, 11:34 AM
sc8176
Driver School Candidate

Hello CL i have the same problem, car sounds like a lawnmower, replaced the ecu from a working sc300 and changed the oil but im still having the same problems. Any suggestions? TIA
Old 07-09-14, 10:27 AM
digitalpez
Driver School Candidate

Default Are you referring to the fuel pump ECU?

Originally Posted by S142jz
Dude. Please pleAse listen when I tell you it's the ECU. I'm 100% it's the ECU.

Look up my thread I had the same issue's ur haveing.

I'm not trying to bs with members but I've been threw this that is why I know it's the ECU.

I'll make suggestions if I'm not sure but like I said I'm 100% sure.

That's my advise take it for good or nonsense. Hope you fix your ride. By changing the BAD ECU.
Are you referring to the fuel pump ECU? A few months ago I started getting heavy white smoke, a heavy gas smell on the first startup and an occasional stall on the first drive ONLY and it very much seemed in conjunction with when it rained... My car was always parked on a steep decline driveway and since I've been parking it on level ground the smoke and rumble has all but gone away, but I've been getting more frequent stalls... After the issue first started occurring I had a tune up and the injectors replaced... HELP!
Old 11-20-14, 08:46 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had these exact symptoms in my car the past two weeks. Engine was missing all over the place and white smoke out of the exhaust. I always smelled fuel when this was occurring so I swapped out the ECU and car runs better than ever now.

Quick Reply: 92' SC300 - Car shaking a lot and white smoke out of exhaust