Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 09:43 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!

So Ive had a 67mm turbo for a while and it decided to poop itself so I began to ask around about possible upgrade candidates and boom someone told me about a new 64mm billet compressor wheel from turbonetics who and I quote "flows almost as much as a billet 67 from precision and almost as much as the bw 366" so we will see. The 67 I've had is the one that Driftmotion offers which is a basic wheel, P-trim, journal bearing turbo. The new one is a 6465 journal bearing from turbonetics I was told the reduced wheel mass should help for a quicker spool which is good news considering the 67 went to work a little after 4500rpm. Also in this mix I decided to change my turbo manifold which appeared to not have much life left because of cracks that were beginning to form all around the collector and yes cracks as in plural and to many for me to give a crap about fixing and I'm cheap. The setup is almost done but I need new intercooler pipes and apparently you have to jump through flaming hoops or have a fat bank account to get ***** done here in Dallas.
Attached Thumbnails My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01080.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01079.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01084.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01089.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01093.jpg  

Old 07-24-10, 09:52 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

the picture of the cut up manifold is because the last nut got stripped and a cheap ebay manifold was in the way lol. Now pay attention to the new ebay manifold that is going in because its a piece of junk, It does not come ceramic coated that was me sending it off, it is to bulky and requires removal of all upper exhaust manifold studs and some banging to the frame to clear in, and it places my wastegate way to close to the upper and lower oil pans and by close I mean you couldn't fit a penny thickness in between so I had to file a little bit just to make sure it will be fine. Wait theres more the holes on the manifold aren't spaced properly and require a little man juice or elongating, the 4th nut counting from the front of the engine back on the lower side had to be trimmed a little and I also trimmed a bit on the manifold so It could be put on. That manifold was $500usd shipped on ebay and the material quality is better than the last one but the craftsmanship sucks but if you try looking for manifolds for a 1jz now days good luck..
Old 07-24-10, 10:04 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Default more pics

here are a couple more pics for viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc00971.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01076.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01094.jpg   My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-dsc01095.jpg  
Old 07-24-10, 10:08 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

another thing about that manifold is that you cant install it with the wastegate on even if the dump tube is off which sucks. If any of you are locals to the dfw area let me know if you need something ceramic coated I can get you a good deal.

if you have a hook up that can do my intercooler pipes let me know I have most the pipes just need a welder and yes they're aluminum
Old 07-24-10, 10:46 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice upgrade! Looks a lot better!
Old 07-25-10, 08:18 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneJay
Nice upgrade! Looks a lot better!
thanks man, I going out today to see if I can find someone to weld aluminum pipes.
Old 07-25-10, 09:01 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

here is the finished product although this pic is a mobile one sorry.. lol but Im gonna do a couple of street pulls tomorrow and datalog. Then Ill make some changes to my map and hopefully I can throw it on a dyno with in two weeks or so and post some results and tune out any bad areas.

I went with my cousin today to a radiator/muffler shop and we cut some used pipes I bought and got the dude to weld them (4 different welds) for $20 and yes thats aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!-finished.jpg  
Old 07-26-10, 09:32 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Awesome work, Shonuff53! I had no idea you had all this stuff in the works.
Where/How/Who did you get your welding done?
Where are you planning to get your dyno done?
Old 07-26-10, 11:02 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Awesome work, Shonuff53! I had no idea you had all this stuff in the works.
Where/How/Who did you get your welding done?
Where are you planning to get your dyno done?
as far as welding went as a whole for the project I got my cuz to weld the wastegate flange for the manifold since it had a different style. I used a cheap muffler shop off harry hines to extend my midpipe to existing downpipe and then another radiator/muffler shop called Santos off irving blvd to do the aluminum. I'm not going to talk up his welding on aluminum it was pretty crappy but holds the pieces together and it works. Total on all the welding including the exhaust and intercooler I paid $75. I bought the aluminum pipes for $50 from empower or however you spell it/say it, and used some of the old pipes I had. There is a mustang dyno right up the street from where I live in addison called Lonestar perfromance and they do 3 pulls for $75 and last I heard $80 an hour to tune it yourself with them operating dyno. The tunning I'll do myself, and have a good friend look over once done to see if we can clean anything up. This stuff really wasn't in the works just fyi Im unemployed student, but when turbo goes out and you love your car.. bank account goes down and new shiny parts come in mail haha

Last edited by shonuff53; 07-26-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 11:26 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Any plans to do something with the fan? It is not effective without the shroud in there.
Old 07-26-10, 07:19 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

I haven't experienced any problems with heat at all and I live in Texas were we have a lot of triple digit heat days. I have had similar setup for about 2 years, and I've had a few friends with same deal no problems... I bet its not as effective, but its still effective. A good pump radiator, and a good coolant mix make for great heat management I'm guessing you've never experienced this at all. thanks for looking out though but If I do anything it will be an aluminum 3 row radiator with some is300 fans and a trd thermostat.
Old 07-27-10, 11:12 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

Sweet, im glad you finally got it up and running again. I bet its going to be a beast with the new turbo. I guess its time for some injectors and crank up the boost!
Old 07-28-10, 08:29 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
Sweet, im glad you finally got it up and running again. I bet its going to be a beast with the new turbo. I guess its time for some injectors and crank up the boost!
true dat lol I got some injectors already but the cash tree is not in season for the fuel rail, pressure regulator and other goodies.
Old 07-28-10, 08:06 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

it looks like my turbo manifold but mine has like reinforce on the tubes, the two nuts on the back are hard to install, my wastegate is all the way down almost next to oil pan.
Old 07-28-10, 09:54 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

probably is the same with the tubes added on

Quick Reply: My 67mm to 64mm upgrade!