Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tips on installing door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 09:40 AM
WadeNelson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step by Step - SC400 door lock actuator motor replace 4/6

Cut the zip tie securing the wires but also holding the two clamshells together.
Old 12-16-16, 09:43 AM
WadeNelson
Driver School Candidate

Default Step by Step - SC400 door lock actuator motor replace 5/6

There will be no 6/6. Bench testing the unit after re-assembly using 12V battery out of my cordless drill.
Only apply 12V for a second! Then reverse polarity to go the other way (lock/unlock) Bench testing. Follow red wire to connector, black is directly below it
XRX
XBX
Old 01-27-18, 11:12 PM
Thcamerang
Driver School Candidate

im doing this tomorrow morning before church should be fun to do ill try to get sme picture of my car in unfortunately i broke my top door panel but i did get a "new" one off a 94 sc300 frm a local junk yard since mines was torns thanks to my crazy ex, she scratched it with our apartment keys after she found a message from a taco bell girl "thanks fr the fries" smfh
Old 04-11-21, 09:56 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by WadeNelson
I usually "practice" on spare parts before I commit to cutting something off a running car apart and attempting to fix it, so

I bought a used SC400 door lock actuator and took it apart, with a mind to replacing the little 12V motor that gets "tired." (I probably should have just installed it...and prayed...)

Ordered the replacement 20mm "Maribuchi" motors (4 for $20) on eBay, along with a little gear puller used on RC helicopters. ($14)

Two problems immediately arise. The original motor is splined, to keep the worm gear from spinning on the shaft. Repair is going to have to
be epoxy, superglue, and/or prayer. I checked, a splined shaft motor is NOT listed on Ebay.

Second is the motor doesn't come with solderable terminals like OEM. Going to have to find a tight fitting pin to slide into the connector.

Third is, you have to be sure you get the motor spinning the same direction as the old one --- reversing + and - if necessary. Best that you confirm
direction of spin BEFORE you pull the worm gear. Also, measure or observe the HEIGHT of the worm gear above the motor case, so you don't glue it
on too high or too low.

The 20mm shaft is probably 3-4mm longer than OEM, but it doesn't appear to hit the end of the case or anything, so no worries.

One good piece of news about the rebuild is unlike the GS300 and other Lexus rmodels the actuator comes completely apart with screws, no sawing or
cracking necessary, although a back flip with a half-twist is necessary to undo the linkage from one half of the actuator from the other. You'll see.

I'm once again, reporting BEFORE the job is done, I'll post after succeeding or failing.
New motor at bottom, old motor, splined shaft, at top.
Originally Posted by Thcamerang
im doing this tomorrow morning before church should be fun to do ill try to get sme picture of my car in unfortunately i broke my top door panel but i did get a "new" one off a 94 sc300 frm a local junk yard since mines was torns thanks to my crazy ex, she scratched it with our apartment keys after she found a message from a taco bell girl "thanks fr the fries" smfh
Hi Wade and Thcamerang, not sure if either of you are still active on the forum. If you are or if anyone else has tried this, did this work?

I'm currently facing this issue on a 1991 LS and have the same exact problem. I'm looking for a potential solution with the Mabuchi motor, but I'm worried about the gear slipping.