Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Wiring issue? Gauges, turn sig, steering tilt.. not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 03:53 PM
phoenix300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring issue? Gauges, turn sig, steering tilt.. not working

So a buddy of mine had the car down in FL for a week, he drove through a big puddle, fried the alternator. He got it replaced at a friends shop who works on Supras/SC300s mainly. Car wouldnt start... they replace ALL the fuses (Kick panel and under the hood) Car runs. Later while down there the a/c control panel smoked and stopped working. His friend wired SOMETHING inside of it, it works again, but it wont kick on the blower motor.... so they wired a separate switch to turn that on.... Ill worry about that later.

On his way home, the gauge cluster stops working... I get to the car today, the gauge cluster isn't working, turn signals do not work, cruise does not work, steering wheel tilt does not work. I check the kick panel fuses.... none were blown, but half of them were 5a OVER what they should have been...

IE. "Gauge" should be 10a, it had a 20a. "HTR" should be 10a, had a 15a in it....few others were incorrect too... "Turn" was correct and not blown, but turn signals still don't work.

So I replaced them with the correct fuses... no changes.

The temp gauge moves, the Tach and Speedo do not, and the fuel is pegged all the way up past F as far as it can go. CEL, O/D Light, ECT PWR and shift panel lights on the cluster all still work... so I'm extremely confused. I've looked over everything as best as I could for the past two hours and I'm frustrated beyond all belief and I don't know what else to look for. If anyone has insight to what I need/could check next it would be greatly appreciated. This has become a nightmare for me.