Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ AC PROBLEMS! Newb needs advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 07:45 AM
stillfly45
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 1JZ AC PROBLEMS! Newb needs advice!!

Recently bought a 92 1JZ swapped SC300. The car has its fair share of problems (none with the engine so far, THANK GOD!) that didnt appear until after I bought it.

Anyway I want to get the most expensive and most needed repair out of the way first, which is the AC. I live in Georgia where summer days are 90+ degrees with 80%+ humidity and random afternoon thunderstorms. I have been trying to deal with the heat, but when the heat index is at 110 degrees and its raining and I have to roll up the windows, my car turns into a sauna and I become drenched in sweat .

The car needs its AC compressor replaced and my AC button gives me the blinking light. I have been searching and reading through many threads about AC, but no of them really give definitive answers and usually end with people arguing about R12 and R134 systems. I know my car is a 92 and that I have a R12 system currently in it. Also know that R12 is obsolete. I have read that converting can be a pain and the AC would not has efficient.

So this is what I want to know.

Does the 1JZ share the same AC compressor as 2JZGE?
Should I buy a used Lexus AC compressor or a new remanufactured/OEM new compressor by denoso or some other company (http://www.discountacparts.com/partv...1380_NA.html)?
What all is needed to convert to R134? I know R134 is less efficient but ,do I really have to buy bigger condenser and expander? I mean I don’t have to have the air coming out at below zero, just cool air is all I want.
Is this a amateur DIY project, or a pay a professional type project?

Also any additional information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-30-10, 04:33 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 1JZ and 2JZ compressors are interchangable when it comes to bolting in the engine, however the hose fittings are different. This is the main reason why i kept my A/C system intact during my swap. Im always confused when people keep their old compressors that come with their 1JZs as they usually come in seized up and useless. Also it makes things easier when the time comes to change it when it goes bad. If you want you compressor to drop in, you may need the hose fittings to go with it.

First thing's first, make sure that the compressor still works. With the A/C light flashing, that usually indicates a fault in the a/c system. I find that a LOT of a/c magnetic clutch relays (located in the main fuse box) tend to go bad. I would check that first before anything. Also with the relay out, get a jumper wire and jump the ports and kick on the a/c compressor to make sure it works. If it doesn't come on when you jump it, it's either an electrical issue or the compressor is shot. If the relay is ok and the compressor is ok, then there is a problem with the signal circuit in the a/c system.

for an R134a conversion, you'll probably need a professional for an install as it's required by some laws that only certified techs can do this conversion. R134a is not as efficient as the old R12, but a can of R12 these days costs 10x more than a can of R134a refrigerant.
Old 06-30-10, 05:56 PM
stillfly45
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well im pretty sure the compressor is done. It makes a weird grinding noise when you cut the AC on and two mechanics have looked at it and told me that it was shot.

So, your saying that the AC compressor for a 2JZ fits but the hose fittings are different. What does that mean? Does that mean just buy new hoses or is there custom work involved?

Right now, I have a shop that will install the AC compressor for $160 if I supply the compressor. So, basically I want to buy everything they need to get it working properly. They arent familiar with import tuning and performance but they are great repair/maintenance shop and have plenty years of experience.

So where can I find the hose fittings, and if i want to convert to R134a do I have to buy new condenser, evaporator, etc., or can i still use the stock R12 parts that are already in the car.

Thanks