Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5-speed ECU/check engine light issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 03:12 PM
Eul_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
the whole objective is to just leave the stuff plugged in WITHOUT the transmission

the ECU only checks to make sure the valves are there and not broken.

SO, EUL_SC300: just remove the solenoids/valves/sensor, remove the big plug they're attached to, so then attach it all to the big 10 pin plug on the body harness that you unplugged it from. this will require removing that transmission filter that's covering up half of the valve body, then a few more 8mm bolts to get the solenoids/valves/sensor out.

i did not have this luxury because the previous owner did the 5spd swap to my car. i had to go find the shift valves out of other transmissions.
Yeah thanks for the info! I'm a dumbass who sold the auto tranny thinking i wouldn't need it anymore...that's why i'm trying to source all the solenoids. and valves.
Old 02-03-11, 06:15 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
so what ever plugs are on the auto-transmission, come off and plug into the body... got it, i'll do that this weekend hopefully.

on my is300, i had to jump the nuetral switch to start the car, can i disconnect that and leave it like it was when it was an automatic? or do i still need to have that jumped?

cruise control didn't work after the auto-manual swap, wonder if this will change it?
good question.
my cruise control also does not work.

i think you have to have the neutral switch jumped to crank the engine, but i think it has to be disconnected for the cruise to work (for the ecu to think it's in 'D') and i think this is the point of having the clutch disengage switch at the top of the clutch pedal.

anyone else who has more input on this, i'd appreciate it. i have a 3 hr drive coming up this week and i'd LOVE to have cruise control to match my "no CEL."
Old 02-03-11, 06:39 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On mine I just disconnected one pin on my cruise ecu. It may work in your case as well. Just search, you will find my thread.

EDIT: Here it is: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...uise-back.html
Old 02-03-11, 06:42 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Just FYI, I bought the clutch switch and plan to wire it in eventually, but for now the cruise still cancels via the brake and the stalk, just not the clutch.
Old 02-03-11, 07:00 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

just found something on Alldata that may be of interest.

this is from a 97.
Attached Thumbnails 5-speed ECU/check engine light issue-clutch-switch.gif  
Old 02-03-11, 07:04 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

the "cruise control clutch switch" is normally closed, so when you're not touching the clutch pedal, the ECU senses "D," which will allow the cruise control to function. (i think this is the switch at the top of the clutch pedal) as soon as you touch the clutch pedal, the ecu says "oh crap it's not in Drive anymore. cancel the cruise."

stockhatch does this make sense? i haven't looked through your thread yet.

edit: apparently you removed pin 2, which is supposed to be a green/yellow wire.

Last edited by cartmill; 02-03-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-04-11, 03:32 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

The wiring is opposite on the early cars. Normally open on the clutch switches. It looks like you may have to feed pin 2 12v or a ground signal instead of just opening it like I did.
Old 02-05-11, 08:35 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

here is the 99 cruise control. no clutch switch obviously.

i am just going to connect pin 4 to pin 9 on the "transmission position switch." this will send power to the ecu pin 17 to make it think it's in "D" which would be the same as having the auto trans shifter in the D position. this will hopefully allow the cruise to work!
Attached Thumbnails 5-speed ECU/check engine light issue-99-cruise.gif  
Old 02-05-11, 08:38 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

here is the electrical plug for the gear selector. see pins 4 and 9.
Attached Thumbnails 5-speed ECU/check engine light issue-99-cruise-2.gif  
Old 02-05-11, 07:28 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

ok that didn't work. just threw the CEL 1780 for "gear selector switch malfunction"
Old 02-06-11, 06:16 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Just find a 12v source and feed the pin 12v. Heck, to test it, just jumper between pin 17 and pin 7 on the cruise ecu.
Old 02-06-11, 06:19 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

When you jumpered the gear selector switch, I assume you jumped "D" for the cruise in addition to already having jumped "N" so the car would start? If so, it obviously sees that the car is in both neutral and drive which is why it tossed the code. If you can source 12v from somewhere else for the cruise ecu, then it should work fine.
Old 02-06-11, 09:07 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

i currently having nothing jumpered.
yesterday i had only 4 and 9 jumpered, which powers pin 9. (9 leads to 17 at the ECU)

there are no other jumpers on the plug, so i dont know where the previous owner could have jumpered the NSS (dont the autos just use the gear selector?) i am now confused.

Last edited by cartmill; 02-06-11 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 05:49 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

When you push the stalk in to turn the cruise on, does the cruise indicator illuminate on the dash?

Do you have full diagrams for the ecu and the cruise computer? I am willing to bet the ecu has a pin input for neutral. I know my Aristo ECU does. I had to disconnect that pin so I wouldn't hit the neutral rev limiter of 5k rpm. If the SC ecu has a neutral input pin on the ecu, try pulling that pin and try your trick again.

I know there is a simple fix for this. If I had full diagrams for a 99 I would be more help, but all mine are OBDI stuff.
Old 02-06-11, 09:13 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

i have access to alldata, but the only cruise control diagram on there for the 98-2000 is what i posted above.

here's the "cruise control description" from alldata:

Current is applied at all times through the STOP fuse to TERMINAL 2 of the stop light SW and to TERMINAL 1 . With the ignition SW turned to ON , the current flows through GAUGE fuse to TERMINAL 1 of the cruise control indicator light and TERMINAL 4 of the A/T indicator SW. At the same time, the current through EFI fuse flows to TERMINAL 2 of the EFI MAIN relay to TERMINAL 4 to TERMINAL (E) 8 and (E) 16 of the engine control module.

When the ignition SW is ON and the cruise control SW is turned ON , a signal is input from TERMINAL 3 of the cruise control SW to TERMINAL (E) 9 of the engine control module.

As a result, the engine control module functions and current flows to TERMINAL (E) 8 and(E) 16 of the engine control module to TERMINALS (A) 21, (A) 31, (B) 1 and (B) 17 to GROUND , and the cruise control system is ready for operation.

At the same time, the cruise control indicator light to light up, indicating that the cruise control is ready for operation.

1. SET OPERATION
When the cruise control SW is turned ON and the set SW is pushed with the vehicle speed within the set limit (Approx. 40 km/h, 25 mph to 200 km/h, 124 mph ), a signal is input to TERMINAL (D) 23 of the engine control module and the vehicle speed at the time set SW is released is memorized in the engine control module as the set speed.
2. SET SPEED CONTROL
During cruise control driving, the engine control module compares the set speed memorized in the engine control module with the actual vehicle speed input into TERMINAL (C) 11 of the engine control module from the vehicle speed sensor, and controls the engine control module to maintain the set speed.

When the actual driving speed is lower than the set speed, the current flows from TERMINAL (A) 8 of the engine control module to TERMINAL 2 of the throttle control motor to TERMINAL 1 to TERMINAL (A) 7 of the engine control module to TERMINAL (A) 9 to GROUND . As a result, the throttle control motor causes the throttle valve to open and the throttle cable is pulled to increase the vehicle speed. When the actual driving speed is higher than the set speed, the current flows from TERMINAL (A) 7 of the engine control module to TERMINAL 1 of the throttle control motor to TERMINAL 2 to TERMINAL (A) 8 of the engine control module to TERMINAL (A) 9 to GROUND and the throttle control motor causes the throttle valve to close and return the throttle cable to decrease the vehicle speed.

3. COAST CONTROL
During the cruise control driving, while the coast SW is ON , the throttle control motor returns the throttle cable to close the throttle valve and decrease the driving speed. The vehicle speed when the coast SW is turned OFF is memorized and the vehicle continues at the new set speed.
4. ACCEL CONTROL
During cruise control driving, while the accel SW is turned ON , the throttle control motor pulls the throttle cable to open the throttle valve and increase the driving speed.

The vehicle speed when the accel SW is turned OFF is memorized and the vehicle continues at the new set speed.

5. RESUME CONTROL
Unless the vehicle speed falls below the minimum speed limit (Approx. 40 km/h, 25 mph ) after canceling the speed by the cancel SW. pushing the resume SW will cause the vehicle to resume the speed set before cancellation.
6. MANUAL CANCEL MECHANISM
If any of the following operations occurs during cruise control operation, the magnetic clutch of the actuator turns OFF and the motor rotates to close the throttle valve and the cruise control is released.

Placing the shift lever except "C" position. "Signal is not input to TERMINAL (D) 17 of the engine control module"

Depressing the brake pedal (Stop light SW ON ). "Signal is input to TERMINAL (F) 11 of the engine control module" Pushing the cancel SW (Cancel SW ON ). 'Signal is input to TERMINAL (D) 23 of the engine control module"

7. AUTO CANCEL FUNCTION

If any of the following operating conditions occurs during cruise control operation, the set speed is erased, cruise control is released. (Cruise control SW turns OFF ).
When this occurs, the ignition SW must be turned OFF once before the main SW will turn ON .

* Open circuit for TERMINAL (F) 11 of the engine control module and TERMINAL 3 of the stop light SW.

If any of the following conditions occurs during cruise control operation, the set speed is erased and the cruise control is released.
* When the vehicle speed falls below the minimum speed limit (Approx. 40 km/h 25 mph ).
* When the vehicle speed falls more than 16 km/h (10 mph) below the set speed, E.G. on an upward slope.
8. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONTROL FUNCTION
* During cruise control driving, this signal, the engine control module changes the shift pattern to normal.
normal.

Last edited by cartmill; 02-06-11 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 5-speed ECU/check engine light issue