Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5-speed ECU/check engine light issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 12:20 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
are you sure about that?

and btw, there was no OEM 5speed in 98-2000.
No, not at all.

Try an IS300 ECU.
Old 01-26-11, 12:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

well i got two of the codes GONE by plugging in two of the variable voltage valves from the old transmission. (this trans only has two!)

now i just need another one.

so ali, the answer would be YES; plugging in the following will get rid of the CEL codes when you remove the auto trans on the 98+:

shift solenoid 1 ~15 ohms (p0753) i just used a resistor here to ground
shift solenoid 2 ~15 ohms (p0758) i just used a resistor here to ground
SLU valve ~5.5 ohms AND ~5 volts (p1755)
SLT valve ~5.5 ohms AND ~5 volts (p1760)
SLN valve ~5.5 ohms AND ~5 volts (p1765)
trans temp sensor ~200 ohms (p0710) i just used a resistor here

boom
does your cruise control work?

i do not have the v2 speed sensor plugged in. i am assuming this is why my cruise control does not work! (but there's not CEL for the v2 sensor)
This is really good info, I am glad it worked out now poeple don't have to worry about swapping to manual, just install the selenoids somewhere.

i bet you can get the cruise to work, but it may take some rigging (maybe that v2 sensor). the manual has a sensor on the clutch to deactivate cruise control as soon as you push the clutch down a hair. You may not want cruise control on a manual swap if you can't get it to deactivate properly as it could just rev out of control if you push in the clutch. CC is a small price to pay anyways if it doesn't work just rip it out. mine works on my standalone still (i can cruise control at very low speeds and gear does not matter), so the stock ecu doesnt play a large role in cruise control, the cruise control module does though. good luck keep us posted
Old 01-26-11, 01:05 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

is300 ECU requires a matching key, or an ECU reflash to match the SC key.

next.
Old 01-26-11, 01:29 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^+1 You are 100% correct, you setup will be the best bet.

Thanks for sharing this info bro.
Old 01-26-11, 01:34 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
This is really good info, I am glad it worked out now poeple don't have to worry about swapping to manual, just install the selenoids somewhere.

i bet you can get the cruise to work, but it may take some rigging (maybe that v2 sensor). the manual has a sensor on the clutch to deactivate cruise control as soon as you push the clutch down a hair. You may not want cruise control on a manual swap if you can't get it to deactivate properly as it could just rev out of control if you push in the clutch. CC is a small price to pay anyways if it doesn't work just rip it out. mine works on my standalone still (i can cruise control at very low speeds and gear does not matter), so the stock ecu doesnt play a large role in cruise control, the cruise control module does though. good luck keep us posted
Alldata shows that the v2 sensor has something to do with the cruise control, but i can't find a FSM for a 98-2000 ANYWHERE.

it's just a reluctor sensor. i'm wondering if there are any other ports i can thread it into other than the one the guy pictured on page 1... like if it needs a certain # of teeth or something.
Old 01-27-11, 09:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Alldata shows that the v2 sensor has something to do with the cruise control, but i can't find a FSM for a 98-2000 ANYWHERE.

it's just a reluctor sensor. i'm wondering if there are any other ports i can thread it into other than the one the guy pictured on page 1... like if it needs a certain # of teeth or something.
does yours not have that same spot you can install it on like that other guys?
I wouldn't worry about number of teeth at first if its just for cruise control, give it a try and see if it works. even if the speed is a little off (number of teeth) it could still work, especially if the speed reads higher than you are actually going.
Old 01-27-11, 09:52 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

i agree with you about the # of teeth. I think the cruise control ecu just reads the # of pulses from that v2 sensor, then sends a signal to the engine ECU, then the engine ECU raises the RPM to match the cruise ecu (via the electronic throttle thing on the vvti engine).
well i was asking about a different port because that one pictured is on the very top of the trans, which would probably require removing the trans! and it appears he made a bracket to bolt in that o-ring'd sensor...
really trying to avoid pulling the trans

Last edited by cartmill; 01-27-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-30-11, 10:56 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

does anyone know how to go about looping that ~5 volt signal?
12v comes out of one pin, and 1-11v goes back to the other pin.

i have no idea how to reduce voltage and keep ~5.5 ohms resistance.
Old 02-01-11, 06:15 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

ok i got another shift valve, strapped them together, and plugged them in. all fixed!

so basically, if you do a 5speed swap in a 98+ just take the valves/solenoids/sensor out of your auto trans, and leave them plugged in.

or you could just plug in resistors for the sensor and two solenoids, then plug in the valves like so:

Old 02-01-11, 07:57 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cartmill, so hanging solenoids on the plugs got rid of all the CELs? If so that is a major breakthrough for the guys wanting to do OBDII VVT-I 5/6-speed swaps! Nice work, who would have thought it would be such a simple fix!
Old 02-01-11, 07:27 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Cartmill", thank you so much for posting that up!
Old 02-01-11, 07:49 PM
Eul_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cartmill You are my ****ing hero!!!!
Old 02-02-11, 02:45 AM
Eul_SC300
Driver School Candidate

ok i got another shift valve, strapped them together, and plugged them in. all fixed!

so basically, if you do a 5speed swap in a 98+ just take the valves/solenoids/sensor out of your auto trans, and leave them plugged in.

or you could just plug in resistors for the sensor and two solenoids, then plug in the valves like so:

Sorry I'm a little confused on why you have 3 solenoids of the same kind when in a picture I've found on the A341E transmission shows only two solenoid like the one you have tied together and 2 others shift solenoid?
Old 02-02-11, 10:38 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

the whole objective is to just leave the stuff plugged in WITHOUT the transmission

the ECU only checks to make sure the valves are there and not broken.

SO, EUL_SC300: just remove the solenoids/valves/sensor, remove the big plug they're attached to, so then attach it all to the big 10 pin plug on the body harness that you unplugged it from. this will require removing that transmission filter that's covering up half of the valve body, then a few more 8mm bolts to get the solenoids/valves/sensor out.

i did not have this luxury because the previous owner did the 5spd swap to my car. i had to go find the shift valves out of other transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails 5-speed ECU/check engine light issue-99-sc300-trans.gif  

Last edited by cartmill; 02-03-11 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-02-11, 02:42 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

so what ever plugs are on the auto-transmission, come off and plug into the body... got it, i'll do that this weekend hopefully.

on my is300, i had to jump the nuetral switch to start the car, can i disconnect that and leave it like it was when it was an automatic? or do i still need to have that jumped?

cruise control didn't work after the auto-manual swap, wonder if this will change it?

Quick Reply: 5-speed ECU/check engine light issue