Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Relocated wireing harness, now car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 08:12 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Relocated wireing harness, now car wont start

i did a search couldnt find much. i relocated my harness today before i lowered it. i unplugged the connectors at the foot panel fuse box, the only wires i cut where the 5 that i believe are for the windshield wipers and i soldered them back together and wrapped everything in duct tape. i triple checked every connection and did it again. the only connector i had a problem with is the big yellow one i believe is for the airbags. i got it on there but the clip on top of it broke off. now the starter wont turnover or even click. i was able to jump start it having my friends push me in reverse. the car started and ran just fine. it just wont turn on with the key. my battery has 12.5 volts and i just replaced both terminals, starter was replaced 2 years ago. also with my hand on the starter relay i can feel it switch. id really appreciate any input
Old 06-05-10, 09:42 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

i double checked every connection and every fuse. when i turn my key i dont even hear a click. what could it be?
Old 06-05-10, 12:39 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, it seems you may have shorted something. Are you sure you checked all the fuses in the engine bay, the driver's kick panel, and I think there might have been some on the passenger's kick panel.

Also check the relays, an important relay that's blown could definitely cause your problems.
Old 06-05-10, 06:11 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

i pulled the harness back out and removed the electrical tape and inspected the wires, i couldnt find any nicks or cuts in the wires. i even pushed in every wirer at the connector to make sure its not loose. i put everything back together again and still nothing. i suspected the starter relay sense the starter isnt even clicking. i jumped the relay and bam my car cranksover, but doesnt start just turnover. it seems like its not getting fuel or spark. next i tryed bypassing the fuel pump on the diagnostic port under the hood with a jumper wire connected to B+ and fp. still nothing works, and now i cant hear the fuel pump even turn on. we tryed push starting it sense it worked yesterday but now thats not working. does anyone have the part number for all the important relays?
Old 06-05-10, 07:00 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

I know just about everything about the wiring harness thanks to my last re-re-relocation.

3 Questions,
1. Does your Dash Lights Turn on?
2. Does your steering wheel memory move or power seats?
3. Does the door indicator light on the lower right hand of the dash come on?
Old 06-06-10, 11:53 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1siksc
I know just about everything about the wiring harness thanks to my last re-re-relocation.

3 Questions,
my dash works, telescopic steering works, power seats work. not sure about door light. for now it seems the radio and fuel pump are not working. i can no longer hear the pump turn on, even when bypassed with a jumper wire under the hood diagnostic port. im going to bypass it at the fuel pump ecu next. if that doesnt work i am thinking of rewireing every wire i relocated under the fender from the windshield bottle washer to the connector.tell me about your expierience and solution 1siksc
Old 06-07-10, 06:42 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Yours is quiet different but It seems like you ignition relay isn't getting power. Under your dash check the 10A i believe fuse for ignition. Check with voltmeter aswell.

Last edited by 1siksc; 06-07-10 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 06:47 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

I bet if you were to do the 12volt mod to the fuel pump it'll work.
Old 06-07-10, 10:53 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

SHE LIVES!! yesterday I ended up stripping the wires and soldering new 18 guage from the connector ends to where the harness meets at the windshield resevoir. I also took out my rear seats and bypassed the fuel pump and starter relay. I said my prayers and turned the key and she started right up. I don't know what exaclty fixed it, it could have been the wires to the clutch switch idk. I also don't remeber if my radio works again, I prefer to listen to my new cat back exhaust then radio
Old 08-06-11, 02:42 PM
SCott300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1siksc

3 Questions,
I am having a very similar problem,
My dash lights do not turn on and the steering wheel memory works
My tire ate through some of my wiring, so i fixed the wires, fuses and rerouted the harness, but i am getting nothing not even the clicking sound when trying to turn the car over. Everything else in the car works normally except the lights for the gauges and the needles. When I unplugged the green plug that is under the carpet, i didnt really pay much attention where I pulled it from, when I pugged it back in, I plugged it into the green port, is the correct, or no?
Old 12-07-11, 05:49 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

I'm having the EXACT same issue! I may have to try the same thing you did...I already bypassed the fuel pump though and I can hear it running when I turn the key to the on position.
Old 12-08-11, 08:07 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

it ended up being the clutch pedal connector was loose for my problem. double check that
Old 12-08-11, 09:44 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by topdog849
it ended up being the clutch pedal connector was loose for my problem. double check that
On mine I have that bypassed and both wires are connected to each other...I double checked that and everything looked good...unless maybe the wires pulled out from the back of the wiring panel....I'll have to pull that apart if I don't find whats wrong today when I look over the harness again.
Old 12-08-11, 09:50 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Starter relay maybe?
Old 12-08-11, 09:55 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Starter relay maybe?
That's one of the things I am trying today.....the thing that scares me is the when I rerouted the harness maybe a dry-cracked wired broke and now I'll be trying to hunt down a harness issue which is a huge pain in the butt....so I'm hoping its something simple like a relay...or maybe this one weird wire in the under hood fuse box that was grounded to the box mounting bolts....