Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking to do a r154 or w58 manual swap? look in here, dont make a thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 11:22 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G0TB00ST
too bad no one made this for the 2nd gen gs. All i need to know is if there is a trans mount made. Ill keep searching. still very informative!
You can use the SC mount or the IS300 mount they will work on the 2nd Gen GS. You should do it!
My GS has 257k miles once i reach 300k i am doing an Aristo swap with R154 that's another 2years from now
Old 10-17-12, 10:09 PM
kungpao83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man i was just about to post a help me, parts need for conversion
Old 04-17-13, 05:40 PM
yell0w
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 97 which was originally auto, then swapped to w58. I'm assuming if i go R154 all i really need is the R154 tranny, fork, clutch, mk3 front drive shaft and everything else should bolt right up? Would i need a different diff. as well? or will the auto work?
Old 04-19-13, 09:07 AM
jdmmadness
Driver School Candidate

wow,after reading this tread. the swap looks harer than I thought.
Old 04-19-13, 12:13 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmmadness
wow,after reading this tread. the swap looks harer than I thought.
It's not hard at all it literally a straight through swap
Old 04-19-13, 01:23 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kez
+1 It looks a lot harder then it is. Having done one myself, I could probably knock it out in a full 12 hour day. Definitely plan for a whole weekend though.
The following users liked this post:
ScDan (07-09-17)
Old 04-22-13, 09:31 AM
jdmmadness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kez
i hope so.lol
Old 04-22-13, 09:34 AM
jdmmadness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toyboxx
+1 It looks a lot harder then it is. Having done one myself, I could probably knock it out in a full 12 hour day. Definitely plan for a whole weekend though.
well,i found a crappy sc300 5 speed on craigslist for cheap and I'm still considering if i should go buy it and use that for my parts car. would that save me more money then buying parts piece by piece?
Old 04-22-13, 11:18 AM
toyolover
Driver School Candidate

Guys I'm liking this threat a lot. I'm curious though about something and would like your opinion...

I want to do a manual trans swap using a R154 into a SC430. I have the trans but not the car yet. As soon as I'm done with my lease I'll be looking for one asap. I live in south florida by the way in case anyone in here is looking to sell theirs. I do plan on sticking with the V8 just mating it to the R154. Where should I get the pedals and other necessary parts? I already have the trans swap kit from quantum-auto.com and just need the bellhousing.

I know this forum is for you SC300-400 guys but when I looked on the SC430 forum I didn't find much on this specific topic. Any information and or ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-22-13, 06:56 PM
jdmmadness
Driver School Candidate

btw,this is for you guys who has done this swap. can you feel the difference with this swap as in power wise? I'm just wondering if this swap will be worth the time and money.
Old 04-22-13, 07:16 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmmadness
well,i found a crappy sc300 5 speed on craigslist for cheap and I'm still considering if i should go buy it and use that for my parts car. would that save me more money then buying parts piece by piece?
Just how crappy is it? Unless it's wrecked or a total rust bucket, don't cannibalize an original 5-speed. There were less than 4k of them made. The manual instrument cluster is something you won't often get if you bought the parts yourself but consider this: you buy that 5-speed car and it's already going to be "swapped" and you'll be able to concentrate on other modifications that will bring out the best in it. Mine needed some work when I bought it but I didn't have to worry about fundamentally changing anything until I were ready to do an engine swap. It's easier to start with a car with at least some of the hardware you want already in it, not to mention it's worth a smidgen more for having been manual from the factory once it's restored.

If your current SC is already sorted out and on the way to being modified other than its having an automatic transmission then it still doesn't make sense to buy the 5-speed if what you want is to build an NA-T engine or swap in any flavor GTE engine. Then you'd still be better off swapping an R154 into your chassis from the get-go. This is something 5-speed owners have to do anyway other than the pedals, trans tunnel and other general parts already making the chassis ready for a manual transmission. You still have to change a lot to go from W58 --> R154. More if you are starting with an automatic but not by much.

If all you want is a manual SC and you aren't worried about going turbo now or won't do more than 6-7 psi boost and don't drive you transmission hard then you'd be better off buying that 5-speed and using that chassis. Unless it's wrecked or rusted beyond what is reasonable.

Edit: If you just want less of a swap headache in general while also being able to enjoy a car that's already a 5-speed, then the manual car is still a good bet (again, unless it's a horrible wreck of a chassis. Cosmetic stuff can be repaired).

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-22-13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 07:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by toyolover
Guys I'm liking this threat a lot. I'm curious though about something and would like your opinion...

I want to do a manual trans swap using a R154 into a SC430. I have the trans but not the car yet. As soon as I'm done with my lease I'll be looking for one asap. I live in south florida by the way in case anyone in here is looking to sell theirs. I do plan on sticking with the V8 just mating it to the R154. Where should I get the pedals and other necessary parts? I already have the trans swap kit from quantum-auto.com and just need the bellhousing.

I know this forum is for you SC300-400 guys but when I looked on the SC430 forum I didn't find much on this specific topic. Any information and or ideas are appreciated. Thanks
That's a very custom job since the SC430/Z40 Soarer chassis was never designed for a manual transmission. Have you searched for any threads on the entire CL forum for people who have done this? I have heard of R154's and V160's in SC430's but you are going to be in a very small minority with this.

For starters, it MIGHT make sense to use the pedal set for the SC300 but since this is going to be custom, there may be a better option.

The transmission tunnel will need to have a hold measured and cut, obviously. An idea is to buy an SC 5-speed trans tunnel piece or MKIV Supra 6-speed trans tunnel piece and have that welded in. I doubt it would fit correctly but anything is possible with custom welding and then you'd have a factory mounting location as long as it is fitted with the correct shifter location.

You'll also want to figure out if the SC430 ECU responds to the Marlin Crawler VSS you'll need for the transmission. The 430 ECU and wiring relies on multiplex controllers rather than individual ECUs for separate functions as with the 92-00 SC's.
Old 04-23-13, 09:20 AM
jdmmadness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Just how crappy is it? Unless it's wrecked or a total rust bucket, don't cannibalize an original 5-speed. There were less than 4k of them made. The manual instrument cluster is something you won't often get if you bought the parts yourself but consider this: you buy that 5-speed car and it's already going to be "swapped" and you'll be able to concentrate on other modifications that will bring out the best in it. Mine needed some work when I bought it but I didn't have to worry about fundamentally changing anything until I were ready to do an engine swap. It's easier to start with a car with at least some of the hardware you want already in it, not to mention it's worth a smidgen more for having been manual from the factory once it's restored.

If your current SC is already sorted out and on the way to being modified other than its having an automatic transmission then it still doesn't make sense to buy the 5-speed if what you want is to build an NA-T engine or swap in any flavor GTE engine. Then you'd still be better off swapping an R154 into your chassis from the get-go. This is something 5-speed owners have to do anyway other than the pedals, trans tunnel and other general parts already making the chassis ready for a manual transmission. You still have to change a lot to go from W58 --> R154. More if you are starting with an automatic but not by much.

If all you want is a manual SC and you aren't worried about going turbo now or won't do more than 6-7 psi boost and don't drive you transmission hard then you'd be better off buying that 5-speed and using that chassis. Unless it's wrecked or rusted beyond what is reasonable.

Edit: If you just want less of a swap headache in general while also being able to enjoy a car that's already a 5-speed, then the manual car is still a good bet (again, unless it's a horrible wreck of a chassis. Cosmetic stuff can be repaired).
its pretty much a rust bucket.the guy uses it as a winter beater.lol the reason why I'm considering getting that 5 speed sc300 is because i wanted to do a 5 speed swap into my sc400. so idk yet,I'm still debating. but thanks for the advice.
Old 01-27-14, 01:06 PM
kingblack
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any one have a w58 transmission for sale? Or know anyone with one for sale. From a mk4 or sc? Pm me with a price please. I'm looking to collect part for the swap soon.
Old 01-27-14, 01:31 PM
Tam4511
Driver

Originally Posted by kingblack
Any one have a w58 transmission for sale? Or know anyone with one for sale. From a mk4 or sc? Pm me with a price please. I'm looking to collect part for the swap soon.
I will once I pull mine out lol

Quick Reply: Looking to do a r154 or w58 manual swap? look in here, dont make a thread.