Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Old 08-05-16, 05:49 AM
hungmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I add pictures for 1st step "3 philips screws"
fyr: 2003' gs300

cover screws

"
Old 08-28-16, 06:43 AM
rkp245
Driver School Candidate

That last video posted showing the whole process is amazing. Just used a solid zip tie instead of a washer as I did not have one handy, and the problem is fixed (for now?)

This forum is awesome.
Old 08-28-16, 05:51 PM
GreenBeast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by strongsail
yeah, me neither, hope I never do! Makes me wonder, though - what would cause that little ring gear to get misaligned? The first couple pix don't show any evidence of anybody taking it apart before - no broken spacers were found inside the gearcase, I presume?

Yikes, have we discovered an actual assembly mistake in a Lexus?

BTW, good fix! The washers look like the ones that go in garden hoses, yesno?
From the looks of it, it really isn't a design flaw. I'd say it's more of the fact that two metal pieces rubbing together can cause things wear wear off and shift or maybe the nut backed itself off a bit or something along those lines.
Old 08-28-17, 01:00 PM
JacketJet
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayplumas
Best I can tell the 1999 LS400 has a different mechanism.
I experienced the same issue. No videos on YouTube. Does anyone know where to find "how-to" instructions for a 1999 LS400?
Old 11-30-17, 12:56 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for this post, I was able to resurrect it to see the cure for free and got to it quick!!!
great post!!!
It works awesome now Thank you!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Tilt steering repair-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
wickedtaco (11-09-18)
Old 02-27-18, 09:04 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Here is one source for the gear on ebay made by motorking

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-95-1997...-/350523591464

Tilt steering repair-wskncg0.jpg
The following users liked this post:
wickedtaco (11-09-18)
Old 07-03-18, 03:37 AM
SCDual
Driver School Candidate

Default Great

now I have a project for tomorrow. I will be posting updates
Old 05-30-19, 03:25 PM
ABOUSC400
Driver School Candidate

i seem to have the issue with the telescoping feature. is there any pics or write up on the same process but for the telescope? i see the write up for the tilt (which is not the same motor) so ideally there is another gear or motor for the telescope. does it look the same and is it the same process with the washers to quick fix??
Old 05-30-19, 03:29 PM
ABOUSC400
Driver School Candidate

do you have this same pic diagram for the telescope feature? seems mine is acting up and the tilt works fine. or maybe a pic of the plate or cover to expose the wheel/worm??
Old 05-31-19, 06:44 AM
TheLexor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I have not had any experience with the telescoping function and do n=
ot have any information that would be of assistance. Is it possible your sw=
itch could have dirty contacts or be faulty?

Old 05-31-19, 06:54 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

As far as I know, the telescoping function is not repairable. I tried disassembling it once and couldn't figure anything out. (Good luck putting it back together.) It's very integrated into the steering column. No one has ever documented that function, to the best of my knowledge. It just gets mentioned in passing with the tilt function.
Old 06-01-19, 02:36 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I've also recently had an issue with my SC's telescoping function. Since I've owned my SC I've had perfect telescope operation until about a month ago. I've been meaning to look into it but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've repaired my tilt function once (and that still works just fine) but recently decided to shut off auto-tilt to avoid any additional wear on the system. It is not well documented how to diagnose or repair that function. T2D2 it sounds like you probably got quite in depth with it yourself.

I know that repairing the telescope function is not a simple gear change. More like replacing the OEM motor with a confirmed good one. Another possibility is the tilt-telescope ECU malfunctioning (yes, there is a separate ECU just for this) but I would assume if that were the case then the tilt function would also be inoperable for you, OP.
Old 06-01-19, 09:01 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I think I posted my findings in one of the threads, but it's been too long to remember clearly... I recall it being a weird setup where the motor has to be spun off a shaft, and doing so basically implodes the system, with ball bearings that fall out and are nearly impossible to reseat. I ended up just putting a cover plate over it. Tilt still worked fine with telescoping disabled. That beat accidentally running telescoping to the "in" position and not being able to get it to go "out" again, like when reconnecting the battery. (Kahn, I would recommend unplugging the telescoping motor, in your case. It's not fun to get to.)

IMO, telescoping is a completely useless feature. That's what seat positioning is for... I suppose some people have very disproportionate arms/legs/torso, but building a failure-prone system (at best 50/50 on the SCs I've owned) to cater to the lowest common denominator doesn't make much sense to me. Tilt, on the other hand, is quite useful both for people of varying heights, and getting in and out if you like the steering wheel low. The latter doesn't even appeal to me, though, so a manual tilt wheel would be just fine. /Off-topic rant.
Old 06-02-19, 08:48 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Thinking more, TheLexor might be onto something with dirty contacts on the switch. When telescoping fails, it usually works in one direction, so the motor is presumably fine. Plus, it's usually not the motor that fails on that sort of stuff. Gears, wiring, switches, etc. Cleaning the contacts or removing an obstruction (caked up yellow grease dried out?) might be the answer. But is either possible? Pulling the motor was a failure for me. I think I tried pulling apart a switch assembly years ago and only vaguely remember there being no easy way of getting into it. Has anyone toyed with that? Maybe I'll look for one at the junkyard to perform experimental surgery on!
Old 06-04-19, 01:55 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

If I didn't have other projects going on right now I'd attempt diving into this one myself but for now just not using the telescope function and keeping the whole automatic telescope/tilt system switched off works for me.

Dirty contactors may have some merit. I think there is a issue that happens with the A/C servos which have position sensors of some kind built in. And it does appear to be possible to rebuild or recondition those so *MAYBE* the same might apply to the steering column telescoping motor and its control hardware as well?? Or maybe I'm reaching way too much here :/

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-04-19 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clarified why I bought up the A/C servo repair example but maybe it's a poor attempt at correlation and unrelatable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair