Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Royally Ripped off by Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 03:45 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royally Ripped off by Toyota

Well I just learned a $400 lesson.......Dont let Toyota touch your car.

Just over a year ago my starter went on my SC and I had zero time to fix it so I decided to see what it would cost me to have it replaced at Toyota with GENUINE toyota starter. I called Toyota in Northampton Mass and was told it would be $450 for the starter and installation.........I figured that sounded about right seeing how I'm getting a BRAND NEW TOYOTA starter and not some aftermarket re manufactured one.

So lets fast forward to 3 days ago. I jump in my car turn the key........nothing, the dreaded click of death. So I try it a few more times and still nothing. I run inside grab my DM to test the battery (battery is 8 months old) and alternator (13 years old lol) both of which tested fine. I turn the key again just to see if it would work and it started up but sounded really weak.

At this point I'm figuring maybe the alternator is on its last leg and is not charging the battery, so I pull the alternator and bring it to autozone for testing and it comes back fine.

I crawl back under the car and pull the starter and guess what I find.............a no name starter, not a GENUINE Toyota starter, but a starter with no identification at all, no make, model, serial nothing............right now I'm PISSED to say the least.

I brought the starter to Autozone for testing and he tried it 4 straight times and it will not test the solenoid. This starter has less than 15k miles on it. Nothing like being royally ripped off by Toyota UGH

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 04-14-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 04:14 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you try to jump the car to get it going? It may be the battery is going or a parasitic drain killed it. It sounds like the starter isn't getting energy.

if it is the starter though, go back to the dealer along with a reciept and tell them what happened. It may have had a no name starter because they didn't have one in stock or the toyota part number didn't match. Either way they installed it and you shouldn't have to get f***ed over something like this. Really dig in and fight to get a fresh one installed for free.
Old 04-14-10, 04:20 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
did you try to jump the car to get it going? It may be the battery is going or a parasitic drain killed it. It sounds like the starter isn't getting energy.

if it is the starter though, go back to the dealer along with a reciept and tell them what happened. It may have had a no name starter because they didn't have one in stock or the toyota part number didn't match. Either way they installed it and you shouldn't have to get f***ed over something like this. Really dig in and fight to get a fresh one installed for free.
I'm getting my info now. To answer your question I hooked up the a jump box and it worked, then I shut the car off and tried it again and it just clicked. The battery was charged 100% according to both Autozones tester and my own.

Even Autozones machines couldnt get the solenoid to work, the motor works fine but the solenoid doesnt.

Im willing to bet that they are going to fight with me because the starter has no marks at all............nothing identifying where it came from, who makes it etc......... so they are going to say that they didnt install it.
Old 04-14-10, 05:01 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Ugh...nothing wants to work right for me today, my scanner does not want to work. I found the invoice and the part number is ST529 and it was $263.92 labor was $141.00 and it was done on 8/05/08, the car was dropped off with 171,578 miles and now there is 181,467
Old 04-14-10, 06:39 PM
barry g
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota dealerships suck. I took my Mr2 to one for its 10 year check up. (car was running fine no problems) the tech comes out after about 15 min. And tells me I need a new turbo, $3000.
Brings me into the shop, walks to the FRONT of my car and says pop the hood and ill show you what's wrong. Wish I had a camera for the look on his face when I pop the frunk. needless to say I got my keys and left.
Old 04-14-10, 06:55 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

You know i've been to autozone and kragen. Both their machine says N/A on the solenoid test....... Anyhow, my brother has a similar issue on his 98 GS300. Click, click, click... nothing... tried a few times and it finally fired up... We decided to take it off anyway for a replacement. Of course, prior to that, we took the starter to autozone to have it tested. It was testing fine... We wanted to make sure so we told the guy to test it like 5 times.... Passed..... I'm like damn... all that work under the car and its freaking fine? I was trying to convince my brother if he wants to replace it anyway and he's like "i don't know" hehehee.... He's not really mechanically inclined... Well, I went ahead and put the same starter back on the car but decided to take the battery off and the alternator. This time we went to Kragen because we bought the battery there not to long ago (approximately 1 year). We're hoping to get that replace or at least pro-rated if it was going bad. The guy tested the battery and tested fine and asked as he could charge it so we waited about 30mins.... While waiting, we had him test the alternator as well and again that tested fine.... hhhhhmmmmm what a fluke about the starter and all..... so, we figured maybe the starter relay was going out...... Went back home, put the alternator back together, battery back together and now tested the relay. First we took it off to make sure it doesn't do anything when we try to start the car. Passed.... it does nothing.... Now we put the relay back and had my brother put the ignition on "ON" position (Relay engages or clicks). I had him turn it "ON/OFF" a few times just to make sure and it passed...... damn... again all these work and I guess nothing is wrong afterall.... Put everything back together and the car starts fine... Its been a little over a week now and car still starts fine...... sssshheeewwwwwwwww....

Anyhow.. Sorry about your experience with toyota Sup2jzgte. That does suck.... I know its one of those days when you just have no time. I try to do everything myself. It makes me feel better knowing its been done. Kragen/Autozone parts are not that bad. Most of them offer lifetime warranty. Throughout the years, I have probably replaced things on my car (previous cars) for free by just returning the old part and having it replaced.... You just have to take the time to DIY
Old 04-14-10, 06:57 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by barry g
Toyota dealerships suck. I took my Mr2 to one for its 10 year check up. (car was running fine no problems) the tech comes out after about 15 min. And tells me I need a new turbo, $3000.
Brings me into the shop, walks to the FRONT of my car and says pop the hood and ill show you what's wrong. Wish I had a camera for the look on his face when I pop the frunk. needless to say I got my keys and left.
Thats funny barry... I had an MR2 myself... Sold it and got an SC4 ... I still miss the MR2 tho.
Old 04-14-10, 07:04 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input guys, but Toyota charged me $269 for a Napa starter that retails for $136 and passed it off as Genuine Toyota, needless to say I'm going down there tomorrow and I want them to show me in their systems where they carry a starter with the part number ST569 and it sells for $269. Now Napa on the other hand has an ST529 and it sells for $136..................its like bait and switch. There is no way they can try and back track out of this, on the invoice the part number is ST529.

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 04-14-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 07:17 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it just click once or multiple times?

Jonny
Old 04-14-10, 07:18 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Dx3;5404079]Does it just click once or multiple times?

Jonny[

once
Old 04-14-10, 07:19 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

My brother's case? hhhmmm i think a few times... like 3x.... click click click... nothing.... (i think)... damn.. now you got me wondering.... Whats that about from your experience Dx3? Any difference when it clicks 1x vs multiple times?
Old 04-14-10, 07:20 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

LOL i love when one thread can help 2 people at once
Old 04-14-10, 07:24 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

... right on... Again in our case, its been good going 2 weeks now... Just curious on Dx3's point of view with those click(s)... He got me wondering hahahahaa...
Old 04-14-10, 07:26 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Im wondering as well ha ha . Autozone couldnt get the solenoid to work on my starter, only the motor
Old 04-14-10, 08:01 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a toyota starter rebuild kit for 145 bucks.
My sc4 has some issues after it, but it seems electrical.
I'm trying to sort the problem.

Do you have your reciepts? If so, show up to your local Toyota and let em know what's up.