Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz "2 oil pans" question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 09:40 PM
okula247
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz "2 oil pans" question

Im i the middle of changing all the gaskets,belts etc.. on the 1jz motor before I install it. I'm about to take off the oil pan. Do you guys think I'll be ok just changing that lower oil pan gasket or do I have to take like the whole bottom of the motor off and put a new gasket on that to?

I've never see a motor like that. I'm used to just an oil pan. It looks like the whole part above the pan comes off also. I really rather not mess with that.

let me know what you guys think. Thanks And yes I did a few searches and did not find what i was looking for.
Old 04-08-10, 09:50 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

I would remove the *lower pan, check the pick up tube screen for metal or debris before the install. If all ok, great. Use rigid diff cover silicone to reinstall and you will be golden. Dont bother with the upper pan if it is not leaking.
Old 04-08-10, 10:16 PM
cavette
Driver

Originally Posted by okula247
Im i the middle of changing all the gaskets,belts etc.. on the 1jz motor before I install it. I'm about to take off the oil pan. Do you guys think I'll be ok just changing that lower oil pan gasket or do I have to take like the whole bottom of the motor off and put a new gasket on that to?

I've never see a motor like that. I'm used to just an oil pan. It looks like the whole part above the pan comes off also. I really rather not mess with that.

let me know what you guys think. Thanks And yes I did a few searches and did not find what i was looking for.
Where you getting the gaskets for the 1JZ? Do 2JZ gaskets work?
Old 04-09-10, 12:18 AM
okula247
Driver

Frankdms- thats what I was thinking. Just do the lower. But I never put the motor in yet. So I dont know if the upper is leaking or not. It looks pretty clean around the upper area so I would think its not.

Cavette-champion Toyota ask for Jeff. 1jz gasket kit.
Old 04-09-10, 05:27 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the motor is out, why not go ahead and remove the upper oil pan, clean and reseal it? doesnt take that long to do and you will be happier in the long run and if that upper pan does end up leaking if you didnt change the gasket then you would either have to drop the subframe and uninstall or take the motor out again to replace. save yourself some time and trouble and do it now. that sealant is only $10.
Old 04-09-10, 04:41 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Toyota FIPG. A godsend for toyota motors. Use it to seal your oil pan, it's what toyota recommends.
Old 04-09-10, 07:41 PM
okula247
Driver

Originally Posted by cuonggs300
if the motor is out, why not go ahead and remove the upper oil pan, clean and reseal it? doesnt take that long to do and you will be happier in the long run and if that upper pan does end up leaking if you didnt change the gasket then you would either have to drop the subframe and uninstall or take the motor out again to replace. save yourself some time and trouble and do it now. that sealant is only $10.

I just did not want to get into it. I dont even see the complete seam of the upper pan. It looks like its the whole bottom half of the motor. It looks like the section were the tranny bolts to the block comes down also. I'm just not confident unbolting all those bolts and not even seeing a defined seam where the upper pan should drop.
Old 04-10-10, 12:12 AM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by okula247
I just did not want to get into it. I dont even see the complete seam of the upper pan. It looks like its the whole bottom half of the motor. It looks like the section were the tranny bolts to the block comes down also. I'm just not confident unbolting all those bolts and not even seeing a defined seam where the upper pan should drop.
Dude stop being lazy and just do it, it take only an extra 15 minutes to remove the upper pan.
Old 04-10-10, 07:39 AM
okula247
Driver

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
Dude stop being lazy and just do it, it take only an extra 15 minutes to remove the upper pan.
That might be a part of the problem.
Old 04-10-10, 12:57 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dont be lazy man. do it. since its already out of the car. save yourself headaches later down the road like i said. we dont want that my upper oil pan is leaking cause i was lazy. do it right the first time and move forward!!!!!
Old 01-29-16, 07:17 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I pulled mine the bolts had what looked like loctite on them do I need to put loctite back on them or no?
Old 01-29-16, 08:50 PM
Dexter72
Driver School Candidate

Use a good sealant and pay attention to where you clean the old sealant off. apply new sealant on the same areas. RTV Gray, Sealant or from a Toyota dealer.. Tighten all the upper pan bolts and then go over the bolts again making sure you tighten them all.
Old 01-29-16, 10:03 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That didn't pertain to the question I asked....
Old 01-30-16, 08:09 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCFactory
When I pulled mine the bolts had what looked like loctite on them do I need to put loctite back on them or no?
Originally Posted by SCFactory
That didn't pertain to the question I asked....
I would totally use Loctite on pan bolts, especially since they wont be removed again for a long time, if ever... Gaskets compress and relax and could loosen bolts over time so it only makes sense to me.