Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Well that didn't take long..my first problem - OVERDRIVE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 07:07 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well that didn't take long..my first problem - OVERDRIVE!

If I misspell anything please forgive me as my eyes are now bleeding from not blinking and my head is throbbing from information overload - that hasnt really produced any clear solutions. There are a feces ton of threads about overdrive issues. One in particular is this merged thread that just seems to go in more directions than the wind. I copy/pasted info I thought my be pertinent to a word document. But here is the issue...

I do NOT have any flashing lights whatsover. The d@mn car just will not shift into overdrive...well rather it does occasionally and then jumps back out. The O/D button in pressed in, so O/D is on. When I take it off and put it back on nothing happens. I shifts through the other gears fine, but not with the smoothness I have noticed from my GF's 99 GS300 or stepdads 03 LS430 (though I wouldnt expect it to on my 95). I've bought dozens of cars, many sight unseen and I KNEW that buying an 87k mile 100% dealer maintained Toyota would not produce any major issues, and CERTAINLY not from the tranny. But here I sit and type downtrodden and perplexed as my brand new used car that I've had less than 1 week appears to be bucking my expectations.

SO, from what I gathered changing solenoids produces NO change. Checking fluid, draining and replacing fluid (which was done 10k miles ago) didnt seem to produce much change. But someone did say something about changing the ECU...I REFUSE to believe that my 87k mile SC300 needs a new tranny so I guess I'll try this. What say you CL brethren?

Last edited by BIGCTY; 03-26-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 07:10 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ECU I had the same problem changed out the computer problem went away. Find someone or just buy a fully working ecu and test it out, pretty sure thats gonna be it
Old 03-10-10, 07:12 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
ECU I had the same problem changed out the computer problem went away. Find someone or just buy a fully working ecu and test it out, pretty sure thats gonna be it
Thanks man, I actually have your response from another thread copy and pasted on this word document I compiling. You were the one that gave me hope that I didnt need a new tranny!
Old 03-10-10, 07:19 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIGCTY
Thanks man, I actually have your response from another thread copy and pasted on this word document I compiling. You were the one that gave me hope that I didnt need a new tranny!
Yea i drove my car for a few months like that because the problem would come and go I even tested out other components that control trans shift points (engine collant temp sensor, tps, solenoid in trans, vss). I even bought another tranny that i ended up selling because i figured out it was the ecu oh well its fixed now for me
Old 03-10-10, 07:35 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I have a spare 95 auto ECU. $50 shipped.
Old 03-10-10, 07:39 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
I have a spare 95 auto ECU. $50 shipped.
BIGCITY jump on it
Old 03-10-10, 08:30 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Jumping......
Old 03-10-10, 09:01 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

The beauty of CLub Lexus ^^^
Old 03-10-10, 10:38 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

i have the same exact problem on my car. and i didnt check the ECU.. Over drive light wouldnt blink or nothing. would go throught the gears just fine and nothing. i been driving with the overdrive off for the past 3 months. so i decided to go with a 5speed swap. lol does anybody have a ecu for a 95 sc300 automatic they wanna sell me for cheap?
Old 03-10-10, 10:42 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dirty SC
i have the same exact problem on my car. and i didnt check the ECU.. Over drive light wouldnt blink or nothing. would go throught the gears just fine and nothing. i been driving with the overdrive off for the past 3 months. so i decided to go with a 5speed swap. lol does anybody have a ecu for a 95 sc300 automatic they wanna sell me for cheap?
I flat out refuse to drive this car with no O/D for any great distance or on the highway. It's a fuel hog as it is (IMO). I'll sell it as quickly as I bought it if the ECU change doesnt work.
Old 03-10-10, 10:49 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

i have a 95 as well. and yes its a fuel hog. right now with overdrive not working, im getting 260 miles average on a full tank. which is horrable. i used to be able to get over 300 on a full tank. i cant go past 60 if not ill be reving the motor to 4k rpm. i try to keep it around 50mph. 3k rpm.
i look at it in the bright side. this prevents me from going over the speed limit lol

if u get your ECU before me please let me know if it worked so i can try the same thing on mines.
Old 03-10-10, 11:02 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Il have one next week. $50 plus shipping. Im doing a gte swap and the motor goes out next week. Let me know its also a 95.
Old 03-10-10, 11:25 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Il have one next week. $50 plus shipping. Im doing a gte swap and the motor goes out next week. Let me know its also a 95.
Dirty SC, jump on it! ECU's for everyone!
Old 03-10-10, 12:09 PM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
sounds good let me know when u have it out!
Old 03-10-10, 12:31 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

i sure will.

Quick Reply: Well that didn't take long..my first problem - OVERDRIVE!