Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New to the 2jz

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 05:35 PM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 2jz

Im having some issues with a sc I just bought. It starts up good and easily, but when its running it shakes the car (the mounts are good), but it sounds like a regular 2j, and the tach is way off (it says 0 at idle) but if I rev it up a bit the tach will jump a bit but still way off. Also when its running it smokes a bit and if I rev it a little it smokes like I just seafoamed it. The smoke doesnt smell like gas, oil, or coolant. the smoke is white tho. I havent ran it long enough to be able to tell if it overheats cause I dont want the neighbors to complain about the smoke.

It has a new cap, rotor, wires, and an oil change ( or so the guy I bought it from said). I was thinking maybe a head gasket but I dont want to stab at it and all that for it to be something else oh and it has 160K
Old 03-26-10, 05:27 PM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I finally got around to workin on the car some more,I went to do a compression check and found quite a few vacuum leaks, two of them being where the vent from the valve cover to the intake had a huge chunk missing from the underside and the other being the rubber piece that connects to the throttle body.

I ran the compression check on a cold motor and my numbers were 1. 180, 2. 181, 3. 182, 4. 184, 5. 182 and then the odd ball of 6. 191? I looked down at the pistons and they are nice and shiny with a few black spots.
I put it all back together and it runs perfect now, nice and smooth,but the tach is still way off and it just has a very light smoke coming from the exhaust, possibly valve stem seels, still dont know about the tach tho.