Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is GE deck height different than GTE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 08:23 PM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is GE deck height different than GTE?

Been searching for a while and all I could find are morons who think "deck height" is how tall the block is. (wrong)

I understand that the GTE block is taller to accomodate the longer stroke (thus needing a longer timing belt), but is the actual deck height any different?

"Deck height" is the space between the piston dome and the combustion chamber, at top dead center (TDC). For example, an LS1 has a positive deck height. At TDC, the pistons stick out of the bores a hair. A 3SGTE has a ZERO deck height (sometimes slightly below zero) meaning the piston comes up exactly even with the top of the cylinder bore at TDC.

It's the only factor I need to determine static compression ratio. I'm going to be building a 1.5JZ, and I will have the 1J combustion chamber CC'd when it's at the head shop.

If you know bore, stroke, piston deck height/dome volume, and combustion chamber volume, you can vary the head gasket thickness to get the compression ratio you want.

I'm going after something between 9 and 9.2:1 and the deck height is the only measurement I'm missing.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-10, 09:04 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero deck height on both. GTE gets extra clearance for combustion chamber from 1.2-1.3mm HG. GE OEM HG is ONLY .3mm. GE head has a ~.025 concave combustion chamber to prevent piston slap.
Old 02-25-10, 09:25 PM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Are stock GE piston tops flat?
Old 02-25-10, 09:27 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

the pistons in the GTE are more dished, you can see it in the valve reliefs

edit for pic**

TT on left, NA on right

Last edited by 93MSB; 02-25-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-12-21, 03:46 AM
Klejag
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care how old this is. It's the first result in Google for 2JZ "deck height" Deck height is not the distance between the piston crown and block deck. That's called "Deck Clearance" it's usually stated as zero deck negative deck as in -0.023 deck, or positive deck (clearance) Deck Height is the distance from the crankshaft centerline to the block deck surface. I'll let K1 rods explain the difference.
https://blog.k1technologies.com/what...-what-it-means

Originally Posted by boostd4
Been searching for a while and all I could find are morons who think "deck height" is how tall the block is. (wrong)

I understand that the GTE block is taller to accomodate the longer stroke (thus needing a longer timing belt), but is the actual deck height any different?

"Deck height" is the space between the piston dome and the combustion chamber, at top dead center (TDC). For example, an LS1 has a positive deck height. At TDC, the pistons stick out of the bores a hair. A 3SGTE has a ZERO deck height (sometimes slightly below zero) meaning the piston comes up exactly even with the top of the cylinder bore at TDC.

It's the only factor I need to determine static compression ratio. I'm going to be building a 1.5JZ, and I will have the 1J combustion chamber CC'd when it's at the head shop.

If you know bore, stroke, piston deck height/dome volume, and combustion chamber volume, you can vary the head gasket thickness to get the compression ratio you want.

I'm going after something between 9 and 9.2:1 and the deck height is the only measurement I'm missing.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
1997Soarer (11-15-21)