Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 08:15 PM
cavette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?

Guys,

I have a 1995 SC300 manual 5-speed with about 120K on the clock. Recently got the car and was thinking about boosting it. My objective was to achieve about 250-300 rwhp with low boost (e.g., 5-6 psi) while retaining daily drivability.

Numerous SC300 owners have told me that NA-T is a nightmare. And pure empirical evidence -- i.e., the fact that too many NA-T people rip out their kits and sell them on this board and others -- does appear to support the notion that NA-T may not be ultimately desirable. In other words, if NA-T was that great, why are so many later taking it off of the car?

So, how many here have NA-T kits installed and are satisfied with the resulting performance and refinement? Please share with us your own personal experience concerning your NA-T.
Old 02-09-10, 08:23 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine. do a compression test before any install. Keep the boost low, make sure you have all the crucial components and dont cheap skate on parts and make sure its all done by someone who knows their crap. Good luck. i hope someone else can help you more.

edit: notice my sig. once im installed in about 2 weeks...ill like you know lol
Old 02-09-10, 08:25 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Tuning plays a big role in NA-Ts...
Old 02-09-10, 10:12 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

the reason why so many na-t's become scrapped projects is because the majority of people that go na-t do so because they think it is the cheap route. Meaning they're the ones looking for cheap (cheaper) parts... such as piggyback ecu's, ebay manifolds etc. I'm not saying you can't get a running car with discounted parts, but modding sc's will never be cheap... if you want it done properly. If you don't have the cash to bust out find a different car. I'm not trying to be a ****, its just true, there are many other cars where boost comes easy and cheap. Like the guy above me said... with na-t its all about the tune. I've got 10k+ alone in just my na-t setup right now (drivetrain only) that included about 2 full days with justin nenni getting the car to run like a stock car from the factory on stock compression for maximum peppiness while making 400rwhp and 400rwt... Na-t is worth it if you've got the time and money.... but i would say that gte swap is a faster way for most people... and the fact is that a gte swap is just that, its a swap. You're taking a complete system from one car and moving it into an extraordinarily similar chassis... there is not much engineering involved. With an na-t setup... you are changing the function and design of the engine under your hood... If you put in the ****load of time, money, research and effort to do that properly then yeah its worth it. But if that sounds daunting... which it is... then just gte swap it.
Old 02-10-10, 02:10 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Check my sig.....
Old 02-10-10, 05:59 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

na-t imo is def worth it

for the amount of power you are looking for .. on stock compression , decent manifold , a small 61mm or 60-1 turbo and a aem ( you must go standalone for na-t to work better then stock) you could run 10 -12psi all day long with no concerns and make close to 400rwhp

a cleansc down here runs 14psi all day with his na-t and has been for over 4yrs strong and has never ever opened up his motor and makes about 440rwhp

look at my sig , my na-t setup with stock pistons , headgasket and arp head bolts ( and ttc cams) just did 561@21psi on pump and my car has been running strong sonce 11/07 again stock bottomend

gte setup is doable but be not decieved.. costs do add up quickly in doing the swap and to end up with about 350ish rwhp imo isnt worth it

2000 for motor

800 wiring harness

misc parts needed to swap over from aristo motor to make it work 900

bov 200
fuel cut defender/bcc 200
front mount 400

piping 400

some piggyback /tune 500

labor to perform swap (if not putting the wrench time in) at least 1500

total est approx +/- = $6900

na-t

manifold 400
turbo 650
intercooler for your power needs 400
piping
wastegate /bov 400
oilfeed/return kit 250
downpipe/midpipe 350

aem +tuning 1600

misc items 400

labor to install 800 maybe

under 5k total

and with this platform you can upgrade alot cheaper with turbo and fuel as needed
Old 02-10-10, 06:53 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^^^^^^^^Well said
Old 02-10-10, 07:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't do it again...

Jonny
Old 02-10-10, 08:59 AM
cavette
Driver

Originally Posted by ashtray
You should be fine. do a compression test before any install. Keep the boost low, make sure you have all the crucial components and dont cheap skate on parts and make sure its all done by someone who knows their crap. Good luck. i hope someone else can help you more.

edit: notice my sig. once im installed in about 2 weeks...ill like you know lol

Ashtray,

What exhaust manifold are you using? Are you using a kit or did you put together the parts by piecing them together?
Old 02-10-10, 09:01 AM
cavette
Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
na-t imo is def worth it

na-t

manifold 400
turbo 650
intercooler for your power needs 400
piping
wastegate /bov 400
oilfeed/return kit 250
downpipe/midpipe 350

aem +tuning 1600

misc items 400

labor to install 800 maybe

under 5k total

and with this platform you can upgrade alot cheaper with turbo and fuel as needed

What small turbo (either 57mm or 61mm) and manifold do you recommend for best fitment and performance? Also what piping kit is best for fitment?
Old 02-10-10, 09:07 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently working on putting a NA-t together. I sold my motor and trans out of the SC that I currently have and am planning on having fun with some NA-t power. It will definatly be AEM EMS. That is one thing I will not spare money on. I am really excited and I am shooting for 500-600rwhp
Old 02-10-10, 01:40 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Na-T all the way hahaha " Lexforlife" i like what i see in your sig.

I will buy the AEM EMS first before i even buy the Turbo Kit lol. GL
Old 02-10-10, 01:42 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a proponent of GTE swaps myself, especially on OBD1 vehicles. The quality of NA-T really does come down to tuning. I've been in properly tuned NA-Ts and ****ty tuned NA-Ts. Big difference. Beauty about swapping to GTE is the ability to institute a proper baseline on factory tune which makes upgrades much much easier.

If you're OBD2, well, then you're stuck with NA-T (there are options for GTE on OBD2 but pricey).

Last edited by shern; 02-10-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 01:49 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cavette
Ashtray,

What exhaust manifold are you using? Are you using a kit or did you put together the parts by piecing them together?
I pieced everything together.
Old 02-10-10, 02:02 PM
cavette
Driver

Originally Posted by ashtray
I pieced everything together.
Astray:

What brand of exhaust manifold are you going to use?

Quick Reply: NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?