Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Window won't roll down. whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 05:23 PM
justinsane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont buy any new parts just yet. its likely a problem that can be solved easily.

as shown in the previous pics it could be in the harness where the ground is (in the DS kick panel)

mine was actually a broken wire in the door harness itself. I had to pull all the door harness plugs, take the coor panel off and pull the wiring cover back to expose a broken wire in the door hinge area.

in my case, the windows would work, then id open the door and it wouldnt (or vise versa.) then it just stopped working all together. neither window would go down. The DS switch would buzz when pressed, Pass side, nothing at all. sometimes the door locks would open and or close on their own after trying to open or close the window. Even the alarm went off once or twice. I pulled back the harnesses rubber cover and found a broken wire. Make sure you solder it properly and heat shrink it. Using butt splices and stuff is just asking for it to happen again.
Old 07-28-13, 05:30 PM
Chris98Sc
Driver School Candidate

when you replaced the wire what did you replace exactly, im not understading whether you replaced the entire wire or just pieces..
Old 02-13-18, 02:46 PM
alnardin
Driver School Candidate

Default Both windows not working failed at same time

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
I had this very same problem it was a bad ground wire comming off the switch. Does it make a "frying" sound or a high pitch sweeking coming from the switch. Does your dome light work, cause the "door open detection sensor" is also on the same ground, i can tell you how to fix it.
Hi There , Yes I have same problem with the windows they failed at the same time , that's not normal to have both motors fail same moment . Any when I depress on window button to make go down the light
near the window button dims and that sounds like some kind of short or not a proper ground . So im believe your story very much . If possible can you tell me how you fixed this issue . Thank you
Old 02-14-18, 05:14 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the rotater splint.
Old 02-14-18, 09:18 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by alnardin
Hi There , Yes I have same problem with the windows they failed at the same time , that's not normal to have both motors fail same moment . Any when I depress on window button to make go down the light
near the window button dims and that sounds like some kind of short or not a proper ground . So im believe your story very much . If possible can you tell me how you fixed this issue . Thank you
I had the same problem, just ground the ground wire coming out of the button unit to the door and see if that is the problem. There is most likely a broken ground wire.
Old 08-07-19, 01:15 AM
JJ823
Driver

I had this very same problem it was a bad ground wire comming off the switch. Does it make a "frying" sound or a high pitch sweeking coming from the switch. Does your dome light work, cause the "door open detection sensor" is also on the same ground, i can tell you how to fix it.
Im having this problem in my 92 SC300. Makes the high pitch sweaking/buzzing sound and dome light flickers on and off or doesnt turn on. Can you tell me how to fix the ground wire coming off the switch?
Old 10-26-19, 08:52 PM
Erick2929
Driver School Candidate

Default I need help aswell

i pm'd you my phone # i can help.
Hey I have the same issue mind helping me out
Old 10-28-19, 07:38 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ823
Im having this problem in my 92 SC300. Makes the high pitch sweaking/buzzing sound and dome light flickers on and off or doesnt turn on. Can you tell me how to fix the ground wire coming off the switch?
Originally Posted by Erick2929
Hey I have the same issue mind helping me out
Pull the control unit up out of the door panel. Locate the ground wire from the switch unit. In the 92 model, this will be a white with black stripe wire. The 97 also it is white with black stripe, so I assume all models are this same color. Ground this wire temporarily either by stripping back some insulation and running a wire from there to ground or get into the wire in the plug and run the temporary ground. When you have it grounded and the control panel plugged in, see if the windows will operate. If so, you have a broken ground wire. I just spliced into the wire and ran a new wire directly to ground just to keep from having to try to locate the broken ground.