Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

High Rpm before shift in Auto trans!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 01:00 AM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation High Rpm before shift in Auto trans!!!

Just recently received a 1993 SC 300 with 179,000 miles for a family member who purchased a new Lexus Hybrid. The cars was given to me with a couple problems that needed fixing. The main issue is the transmission. The car was taking to a mechanic and was advised to replace the tranny. The car was well taking care of with them being the original owner. The problem I'm having with the tranny is that it doesn't shift gears until I take my foot of the gas peddle and let the rpm's drop. Can anyone help!

Last edited by 1startunin; 01-05-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 04:46 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like you might have issues with your clutch packs inside the trans. If the fluid is dark/black you will need to flush it. The problem with that is it could hurt or help your issue. The bad fluid be the only thing holding the clutch packs together. Which in turn you might not even be able to get out of first gear. It could help it ,but you usually don't expect it to last around your mileage unless it had its usual maintenance. It will cost you more to get it rebuilt then it would be to by a used one with less miles. Average cost can go from $100 to $600 it you do some searching. I think you might need to replace it like the mechanic mentioned.
Old 01-05-10, 05:25 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1startunin
Just recently received a 1993 SC 300 with 179,000 miles for a family member who purchased a new Lexus Hybrid. The cars was given to me with a couple problems that needed fixing. The main issue is the transmission. The car was taking to a mechanic and was advised to replace the tranny. The car was well taking care of with them being the original owner. The problem I'm having with the tranny is that it doesnt shift gears until I take my foot of the gas peddle and let the rpm's drop. Can anyone help!
I know someone who is selling their manual transmission setup. That's if you want to do the conversion.
Old 01-05-10, 07:18 PM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

The cars tranny fluid is some what of a red color more like a red turning brown. The gears engage at a higher rpm than the arr suppose to be. If I do have to replace the tranny do you know of anywhere? I was hoping that a good flush can help or the torque converter was going out. One more thing, at an idle after a brief ride when I come to a stop the car has a thumping feel every 10 seconds but when I switch to neutral it goes away.
Old 01-05-10, 10:59 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Where in CA are you located? have you checked the ATF level is at a good level? because if it's not then you might have hopefully solved the issue.
Old 01-05-10, 11:28 PM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLDriver
Where in CA are you located? have you checked the ATF level is at a good level? because if it's not then you might have hopefully solved the issue.
I live in L.A. and the tranny fluid its at the right level, but I was reading threads in the forum and a few people were saying to us the proper ATF if not I would have problems, don't know what fluid the person used. Another thing is the O/D light on the gauge cluster blinks when I'm driving! Any comments on that?
Old 01-06-10, 08:02 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I live in L.A. and the tranny fluid its at the right level, but I was reading threads in the forum and a few people were saying to us the proper ATF if not I would have problems, don't know what fluid the person used. Another thing is the O/D light on the gauge cluster blinks when I'm driving! Any comments on that?
I had the O/D light flash on a supra I had a while ago. The problem turned out to be a bad ECU believe it or not. You need to check all of the connections going to the trans. There could be one that is messed up. I dont think this is a fluid issue.
Old 01-06-10, 11:27 AM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

Any suggestions on the thumping issue will in drive at a stop?
Old 01-06-10, 12:08 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the RPMs tend to drop a bit when this thumping noise occurs? What's a thumping noise? Is it like a tremble? If so, it's probably your fans kicking in at a higher speed since you're at a stop. It seems your car does it bit longer than usual, so I would suggest checking the fluids of the components that run on your serpentine belt. Like your power steering, for example.
Old 01-06-10, 01:21 PM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

Sorry no a thumping noise, you can feel it and its only when the car is in drive at a stand still. I place the car in neutral at a stop and it goes away. I was thinking it was the drive shaft. The only other time I left that was in my buddy's truck and it was his u joint that went bad. I looked under the car and everything looks okay??? Weird!!!
Old 01-06-10, 03:52 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're gonna want to use Toyota OEM tranny fluid. Not sure if it would cause problems like what you were explaining or not though...
Old 01-07-10, 01:33 AM
RaphyV
Driver

Have you checked the motor/tranny mounts? They could be bad. With the mileage of the car they could be worn.
Old 01-07-10, 12:34 PM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

all mounts have been replaced...
Old 01-07-10, 01:25 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

You might want to try taking it in to transmission shop or you can always try a junkyard see if you can get a cheap transmission. They have some in Burbank/Sun Valley with SC's in there once in a while.
Old 01-08-10, 01:31 AM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

Any specific locations???