Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Single T70 Turbo and 5speed conversion =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 09:36 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zhillz
Then you should learn to read! He posted one lol.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=startup.flv
I read bro, that was just a teaser video that he posted up.
Keep up the good work bro and can't wait for a test run vid.

Last edited by Trevstuh; 03-08-10 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 11:48 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can put the MAF before the turbo or after the turbo. However, if you have the BOV, the BOV should be before the MAF and it should be at least 12" away from the MAF. I had occasional stall after releasing the gas pedal when it was 12" away. I then changed it to 14" and it seems fine.
Old 03-11-10, 10:01 AM
CarlosR347
Driver

awesome! so can i just place the BOV on the driver side before the intercooler and then the MAF behind the passenger light??? bro thanks youve just saved me a head ache .. you see I figured the MAF would read the airflow infront of the turbo but it wouldnt after it since its under pressure.. but then again i had seen "Bobs twin turbo v8 soarer" or some other sc400 i dont remember
Old 03-14-10, 02:43 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put the BOV right after the inter-cooler just to make it last longer, it wont be exposed to as much heat. Put the MAF near stock or just a bit closer to the throttle body than stock so that you can keep the stock wiring for it. Also def Don't put it before the turbo! The MAF needs to be between the BOV and throttle body. and you HAVE to have a BOV for a street engine.
Old 03-15-10, 01:21 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Legionofon
I would put the BOV right after the inter-cooler just to make it last longer, it wont be exposed to as much heat. Put the MAF near stock or just a bit closer to the throttle body than stock so that you can keep the stock wiring for it. Also def Don't put it before the turbo! The MAF needs to be between the BOV and throttle body. and you HAVE to have a BOV for a street engine.
I agree.
Old 03-15-10, 03:22 PM
CarlosR347
Driver

Awesome, Thanks man!
Hey steve one quick question would a 38mm waste gate be enough or do i go ahead and buy a 50mm?.. just waiting on your opinion to buy it thanks!
Old 03-15-10, 03:52 PM
boostd4
Driver

Originally Posted by Legionofon
I would put the BOV right after the inter-cooler just to make it last longer,
Bad advice. You want the BOV as close to the turbo compressor outlet as possible. This keeps the pressure waves from trying to push the compressor wheel backwards when the throttle closes. This force puts pressure on the shaft and bearing(s) and kills turbos prematurely.

I'd much rather buy a $200 BOV than a $1400 turbo.
Old 03-17-10, 11:18 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by boostd4
Bad advice. You want the BOV as close to the turbo compressor outlet as possible. This keeps the pressure waves from trying to push the compressor wheel backwards when the throttle closes. This force puts pressure on the shaft and bearing(s) and kills turbos prematurely.
That's not necessary, because the BOV will vent the extra air when the TB is closed. So that means the turbo will still flow the air forward, but the BOV will catch it and vent it out. The air won't have a chance to be pushed back to the turbo.

Carlos,
I'd use a a minimum of 40 mm wastegate on the V8. 50 mm is even better if you can. You don't want to take risk.
Old 03-17-10, 11:32 AM
boostd4
Driver

^^ The BOV is a mechanical part. A mechanical spring and valve is not an instant actuation. The airspeed at redline is going to be much faster than the speed of the BOV's valve form fully closed to fully open. You will get some amount of pressure wave returning to the turbo when the throttle body snaps shut.

Thought the argument may have minimal merit on what actual damage can occur to the turbo, I always put purpose over pizzaz (some people say the BOV is "louder" the closer you put it to the throttle body - even if it's worse for your turbo).
Old 03-26-10, 08:56 PM
CarlosR347
Driver

Lightbulb

Well I went ahead and bought a 60mm wastegate that can be regulated to open 8-12psi which sounds good to me (better safe than sorry right?)it was $76 bucks shipped not bad.. Btw I haven't had much time to work on the car I was in a hit n run recently were a truck spin me out on a rainy day afterschool and took out 2 trees in my grandpas 94 corolla.. Long story short dad nd I have been fixing it since and haven't had time to spare

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...8/2e5a45c2.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...8/ad704605.jpg

Last edited by CarlosR347; 03-26-10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-27-10, 01:42 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In to see the completed project! Nice job. ANother boosted SC400! Gotta love it.

Ryan
Old 03-27-10, 11:23 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my old dsm the BOV was after the inter cooler before the throttle body. My MAF was before the turbo. The doesnt matter where the BOV is as long as its after the turbo, after the cooler is a good idea...BOOSTD4 has a good point but its flawed. Since the BOV relieved pressure it will create a vaccuum and vent all the compressed air out. Since its cooler air its more dense. Any amount of air that surged towards the compressor is negligable. Its impossible to have a system that is perfect. So all in all, the BOV after the intercooler is fine, its not all PIZZAZ. Not trying to start a flaming debate or anything just giving yall my $0.02!!
Old 04-06-10, 09:55 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

any updates??
Old 04-06-10, 07:27 PM
CarlosR347
Driver

Sorry guys I was gone all spring break and I home today at 7am.. I think that the location of the bov will only affect the temp of the air the bob will be dealing with so after the intercooler would be best in orde for it to work cooler.. But as far as backpressure is concerned pascals law states that the pressure of a fluid in a container is equal in all directions but then again that's just my opinion.
Old 04-06-10, 08:33 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

but its air and not fluid, le chateliers principal would work better!! or i think maybe hammonds postulate, dont quote me on the last one but he said it doesnt matter how you get there as long as you get there! lol

Quick Reply: Sc400 Single T70 Turbo and 5speed conversion =)