Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A650E auto tranny possible problems SC400 vvti

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 01:39 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A650E auto tranny possible problems SC400 vvti

I've always thought my tranny shifted werd. When driving very slow and keeping the rpms below 2000, the tranny is already shifting past 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Is this normal? I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly, buy say I'm accelerating from a dead stop and keeping the rpms below 2k, you can already hear the tranny shifting several gears already. And right when I'm at 30 mph, I'm on 4th already. The cel light is on too by the way but at first I thought maybe it's from my exhaust "h" pipe setup. Now I'm wondering if it's a shift solenoid from the tranny? When I punch the throttle, everything shifts perfectly though.

Last edited by scfou; 12-23-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 01:51 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Get the code and that'll tell you where to start looking, I really doubt the CEL is from an H pipe unless you removed the cats.

As for the transmission that sounds normal to me. My car will be in 3rd gear by 30mph driving slowly like you said. But then again, my car has only 4 gears, while yours has 5.
Old 12-23-09, 04:42 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc-driver
Get the code and that'll tell you where to start looking, I really doubt the CEL is from an H pipe unless you removed the cats.

As for the transmission that sounds normal to me. My car will be in 3rd gear by 30mph driving slowly like you said. But then again, my car has only 4 gears, while yours has 5.
Yeah my cats are still on. When I upgraded the pipes to 2.25", I know there were 3 muffler look a likes removed towards the rear of the car. From what I understand these were the resonators, but I've also heard one might be a cat. I don't know if maybe that's what's throwing the cel. I actually drove for a few days after the upgrade, and then the cel came on following. But I'm glad to hear that you sc400 does the same shifting like mine. I just think they didn't do too good of a job programming a650e. I understand the shift pattern follows the 5spd auto trannies off of the German cars, but they shift much better than ours even at low speeds. Ours is much more laggy if you know what I mean.
Old 12-24-09, 02:02 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

You shouldn't have gotten a CEL after the exhaust work if all they did was the rear portion of the exhaust. I had 2 resonators removed, and the 3rd cat removed as well. Absolutely no CEL for me, and my car is OBDII. Maybe there is an exhaust leak near the O2 sensors. That happened to me one time.

Definitely check what code it is because I don't think it should be throwing a code in your case. As for the laggy shifting, you can blame that on the 4th solenoid in the transmission. ALL sc400's had this, not 300's did not. That's what reduces power to the wheels and gives you that nice slow "Lexus" shift.

If you wan't to disable that lag and make it shift hard and fast, just follow this link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-its-free.html

It gets better and more understandable when you get to the 100+ posts

I'm currently trying to get it to work without throwing a CEL transmission code. I'm pretty sure I've got it down, just need to actually try it.
Old 10-19-11, 11:41 PM
Markster
Driver School Candidate

Ok sounds like we have the same tranny problem. Did you find a fix? Please let me know.

My 92 sc400 also shifts weird and I hate it. Goes from 1st to OD way to early. After I drive for about 30 min on the freeway, it fixes itself. Then shifting problem happens again at start up even if car is warm. The problem sucks. But when it shifts normal again, I am so happy. I've done a professional transmission flush and thought that would fix it, but it did not.

Sometimes it just skips right over second gear and sometimes it lands on second for a split second and goes to 3rd and then 4th almost right away so I have to manually shift into 2nd gear in order to accelerate. But I think when I shift into second, it actually goes into 3rd. ARGGGG anyone fixed this problem?

Oh, BTW there is NO check engine light on. So whatever the problem is, it is not throwing any kind of code that I know of. (and yes my CEL does work) lol.
Old 10-20-11, 11:16 AM
1996sc300
Rookie

Thread is from 2009...