Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How many quarts of AT fluid do I need for the SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 12:47 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many quarts of AT fluid do I need for the SC400?

How much does the tranny drain when you unplug it from underneath? Also, When you refill the tranny through the dip stick under the hood, you can refill it with the car in park, right?
Old 12-23-09, 02:19 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Manual says 2quarts... Yes you can refill it with the car in park.
Old 12-24-09, 09:23 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

What's the total capacity of the transmission?
Old 12-26-09, 01:13 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Anyone know the total capacity of the AT for the SC400? I don't have the owners manual by me right now.
Old 12-28-09, 10:40 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Total Capacity 8.7 quarts
Drain and Refill 2 quarts

Why? Because the 6.7 quarts stays on the torque converter so you may have to drain and refill a few times or do it dealer style. Its the same concept as flushing power steering if you've seen that link before. They remove the return line then start pouring about 8 quarts while the car is running to flush the whole system or just pay a local shop to do it. I think its about $90 to have a local shop do it and probably about $150 at the dealer.

I drained/refill mine for the 2nd time last week and it is still dirty. This was about 2 months later from the last time I drained and refill. I definitely have to do it a few more times since i'm basically mixing the 2 new quarts of ATF with whats left there which is the dirty 6.7 quarts.
Attached Thumbnails How many quarts of AT fluid do I need for the SC400?-atf.jpg  
Old 12-28-09, 11:18 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

I thought it was type-4 ATF?
Old 12-28-09, 12:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA
I thought it was type-4 ATF?
What year is your car? I forget when the exact year the switch was made, but newer SCs use Type T-IV and the older ones use regular toyota atf.
Old 12-28-09, 01:11 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

^+1... Yes its an old manual but i'm pretty sure the capacity is the same. I only use the manual as a reference. If you are still hesitant to use the right oil, just pickup a few bottles at the dealer. They cost pretty much the same as if you pick them up at local store (Kragen or Autozone)
Old 12-28-09, 01:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by masagsxr
^+1... Yes its an old manual but i'm pretty sure the capacity is the same. I only use the manual as a reference. If you are still hesitant to use the right oil, just pickup a few bottles at the dealer. They cost pretty much the same as if you pick them up at local store (Kragen or Autozone)
The Dip stick on the car will clearly tell you what kind of ATF to use. On my 98 it says Type T-IV fluid only.
Old 12-28-09, 01:27 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

I have a 96... I ended up getting Type-4... I should check my dipstick, though. I knew I had seen it somewhere and that's where it was.

The type-4 stuff cost me just over 5 bucks a quart...
Old 12-28-09, 01:32 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the dip stick will tell as well assuming that its the same original one on the car....

Thats cheap for $5/quart. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and its about $8 bucks per bottle.... My friend with a 04 GS300 bought Type IV for his at the dealer for about the same price per bottle.
Old 12-28-09, 01:59 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

It turns out that the dip stick says Type-2... They told me Type-4... God damn... They didn't have Type-2, either...

Ok, so I can't put Type-4 in my Tranny I assume? ****ing bull****... At least I can get a refund.
Old 12-28-09, 02:14 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Hhmmmm I've always wondered about that but after reading the label on the back of the bottle, they usually say something like "Can be used with type 2 or better". In my case, it says at the back of the mobil 1 synthetic atf I bought something like "Type IV or better" so I went ahead and use it. I guess the manual I have is for your car heheheee... Well, do more research and see if it will harm the tranny if you put Type IV instead of Type 2.
Old 12-28-09, 08:05 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Hhmmmm I've always wondered about that but after reading the label on the back of the bottle, they usually say something like "Can be used with type 2 or better". In my case, it says at the back of the mobil 1 synthetic atf I bought something like "Type IV or better" so I went ahead and use it. I guess the manual I have is for your car heheheee... Well, do more research and see if it will harm the tranny if you put Type IV instead of Type 2.
I would really appreciate that. I should do the same...
Old 12-29-09, 07:57 AM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

T-IV replaced T-II, it surpasses all performance requirements of predecessor fluids.

Quick Reply: How many quarts of AT fluid do I need for the SC400?