Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bottom line: Soarer ECU part #'s (auto or manual)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 02:24 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom line: Soarer ECU part #'s (auto or manual)

This is Driving me insane w/ the lack of Knowledge that some of these motor Shops Have or care to Disclose.
never have I had an Issue as hard as this to purchase a 5speed motorset.

Every one of these shops, Claims "SOARER 1JZ" but Something always Doesn't Work out.
Either it be the Transmission (shifter) incorrect,front Sump pan,Diff Y-Pipe,No Clutch fan, ECU 's,whatever

But Only thing I can Think of is What Are the Part #'s on your ECU's that you guys are running to Tell What Engine is from what car or WILL Work w/ a SC300/400:

AUTO Or MANUAL part #

I've been studying transmissions,ECU's and Engines for the past 4 days Straight trying to figure out What motor is What,so I can buy one of these bastards.
MKIII 1JZ's I've seen have Clutch fans,R154's have 3 diff style Shifters,Seen even JZX90's with Tri-leg Style Shifters etc etc etc etc.

the search Button should almost be Broken from all the Stuff I've typed in so Don't get mad.

1 have found 1 TRUE 1JZ soarer 5sp Swap but $2999?? + ship Might as well go 2JZ.
Thats just higher than I want to spend,when I know 1 of the damn things WIll Work!

thanks
Old 12-14-09, 02:31 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

I will look through my pictures and post up my ECU # tomorrow.
Old 12-14-09, 05:57 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

How about this.

is this engine a Soarer or Supra 1JZ given whats seen? Would need the ECU to prob help or Figure out the Plugs i'm sure.
it looks like to Me the Shifter is a Later model, Like Blizzy's install Shows by the way the 'Ramp" on the Shifter Housing has 2 steps,..unlike the Supra which is a 1 'stepped" ramp.

I about Ready to be done w/ this SH_T and Have Never seen so many places Posting incorrect Information or,..that This Info has yet to be Sticky'd Showing the Diff in Engines from what is Known.You'd think w/ all the 1JZ swaps all this would have been done by now.
I swear when I'm done it will aaaallllllllllll be Documented and STUCK at the TOP!
Old 12-15-09, 07:47 AM
enslaved87
Driver School Candidate

Default easy...

Originally Posted by MrFairlady
How about this.

is this engine a Soarer or Supra 1JZ given whats seen? Would need the ECU to prob help or Figure out the Plugs i'm sure.
it looks like to Me the Shifter is a Later model, Like Blizzy's install Shows by the way the 'Ramp" on the Shifter Housing has 2 steps,..unlike the Supra which is a 1 'stepped" ramp.

I about Ready to be done w/ this SH_T and Have Never seen so many places Posting incorrect Information or,..that This Info has yet to be Sticky'd Showing the Diff in Engines from what is Known.You'd think w/ all the 1JZ swaps all this would have been done by now.
I swear when I'm done it will aaaallllllllllll be Documented and STUCK at the TOP!
That is a Soarer engine set pictured.

The information is out there..but it is a bit scattered. Heres what I've learned over the years:

JZA70 supras have a completely different ecu (2 rows of pins), hydrofan and are rear sump. The engine mount brackets are different and will not fit a sc without modification. And usually has a A340E transmission or R154 without the shifter extention.

Chasers are FRONT sump, use the same ECU as the soarer (3 rows of pins) but have a hydrofan. And the engine harness only contains 2 of the 4 need ecu plugs - the other two are part of the body/dash harness. Engine mount brackets will not fit an SC. And usually comes with a r154 or A341LE transmission(depending on model/generation). FYI I just put a chaser engine in my sc300. Everything minus the engine mount brackets and the oil pan(change to rear sump) bolt up. Just needs harness work and a new water pump from that point and your good to go.

The soarer comes with REAR sump, clutch fan, A340E or R154 with the shifter extension. Same ECU as the Chaser. The engine harness contains all 4 ECU plugs and the proper body harness plugs.

FYI : My Supra has a Soarer engine set in it and my SC300 has a Chaser engine set in it. The supra ended up with a Haltech on it so the harness was a non issue. The SC on the other hand took me a good bit of time to wire in properly. The bottom line is, if you dont get the proper engine set you are setting yourself up for a LOT of unexpected costs.

Hope this helps. I must admit I have yet to see all of this info in one place when I was looking for it.

Last edited by enslaved87; 12-15-09 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 02:20 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

Originally Posted by enslaved87
That is a Soarer engine set pictured.

The information is out there..but it is a bit scattered. Heres what I've learned over the years:

JZA70 supras have a completely different ecu (2 rows of pins), hydrofan and are rear sump. The engine mount brackets are different and will not fit a sc without modification. And usually has a A340E transmission or R154 without the shifter extention.

Chasers are FRONT sump, use the same ECU as the soarer (3 rows of pins) but have a hydrofan. And the engine harness only contains 2 of the 4 need ecu plugs - the other two are part of the body/dash harness. Engine mount brackets will not fit an SC. And usually comes with a r154 or A341LE transmission(depending on model/generation). FYI I just put a chaser engine in my sc300. Everything minus the engine mount brackets and the oil pan(change to rear sump) bolt up. Just needs harness work and a new water pump from that point and your good to go.

The soarer comes with REAR sump, clutch fan, A340E or R154 with the shifter extension. Same ECU as the Chaser. The engine harness contains all 4 ECU plugs and the proper body harness plugs.

FYI : My Supra has a Soarer engine set in it and my SC300 has a Chaser engine set in it. The supra ended up with a Haltech on it so the harness was a non issue. The SC on the other hand took me a good bit of time to wire in properly. The bottom line is, if you dont get the proper engine set you are setting yourself up for a LOT of unexpected costs.

Hope this helps. I must admit I have yet to see all of this info in one place when I was looking for it.
Excellent Info Sir.

I have found 2 engines and this one Pictured was my 1st - but after looking I have found another Engine (osakamotors) but it has TRAC.I was not aware that They had TRac on soarers but if they did,..the good news there is its Probably a NEWER Engine.My SC400 does not even have TRAC,..so It would Prob have a few wiring snags there to make it interesting.

So The Motor Mount Brackets are Diff?? Didn't think to check that.Granted I would Think the Firewall Grommet would Mean something as well..I've seen your normal 'Round" Rubber grommet....and the Big "Box" style which seem to be Soarer related.

So You can Confirm The one Pictured is a Soarer 1JZ w/ just a Newer (or Older) shifter on The transmission?

if you could point out the Diff in the Brackets from Soarer to Supra??
Old 12-17-09, 12:51 PM
enslaved87
Driver School Candidate

It's very tough to notice the difference without seeing the different mount sets apart. There are different heights, lengths, and bolt depths between each chassis. The main thing is to just make sure all the other variables I talked about are in place and you'll be sure to get what you need. You can be pretty confident that if it's rear sump and has a clutch fan - odds are very good that it's fron a soarer. The ONLY reason It wouldn't be is it it was a supra engine and the previous owner removed the hydrofan and installed a 2jz water pump.

Just study the info that I gave you and you'll understand it all after staring at it long enough.
Old 12-21-09, 07:28 AM
The_Marine
Driver School Candidate

Go with JHOT. If you're putting it in a SC300 they will send you everything for the swap. You know it comes from a soarer because they even send you the dataplate! I have never heard of anybody getting screwed by JHOT. Mine's been running for almost a year now with absolutely no problems. JHOT is a trustworthy company and if I ever do any engine swaps, they will be my choice for imported engines.