Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

questions on heat wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 11:32 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post questions on heat wrapping/coating

just a couple of questions, thought it might be a bit useful and contribution-al.

1.) Which one would you recommend? And why it over others?
2.) Would you recommend heat wrapping all the intercooler piping and entire exhaust piping? Im thinking of doing it and im wondering if its benefits out weigh the amount of money I'd spend on such big amounts of tape..it aint cheap.
3.) Does it ever have to be replaced? How is it removed if yes.

Thanks to anyone who contributes.

-Ashtray

Last edited by ashtray; 12-14-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 01:59 AM
Retox
Driver

1.) Which one would you recommend? And why it over others?

After having to install a dump pipe recently that was heat wrapped, I can honestly say next time I will be going with HPC Coating instead... it was a pain in the *** having my arm rub against it with all the glass fibers digging in to my skin

2.) Would you recommend heat wrapping all the intercooler piping and entire exhaust piping? Im thinking of doing it and im wondering if its benefits out weigh the amount of money I'd spend on such big amounts of tape..it aint cheap.

No point on coating intercooler piping. Expense versus results just wont be justified, especially given that the JZ's are a crossflow motor.

Exhaust, I would just coat the dump pipe, leave it at that.

3.) Does it ever have to be replaced? How is it removed if yes.

NFI
Old 12-14-09, 07:37 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wrapped a set of headers on my car and told my self i will never ever do that again. ceramic coat it and just be done with it.
Old 12-14-09, 09:10 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

lol so its a PIA job then? Is that the only reason you'd recommend ceramic coating, to save the trouble? i really dont mind doing the heatwrap. @ Retox, thanks for the info but what does NFI stand for? I guess what ive gathered so far is that when i do this ill need gloves..and a long sleeve shirt lol.
Old 12-14-09, 12:27 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no thats not the only reason, with exhaust wrap moisture can be trapped under and help corrosion.
it worked well on cast iron headers from the 50s and 60s but the new stainless thin walled headers will suffer. if you have to wrap to avoid overheating other parts. like brake lines are close or master cyl, wrap the component in dei thermal tape...cheap and works great.
Old 12-14-09, 12:48 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure on the differences in manufacturer, but there are different thicknesses.
The cheaper one is usually the thinner one.

It can be a PITA job, so, do it right, the first time. Spend the extra $ on gettting the ceramic coating, then wrap it...
The trick is to wet the the wrap with water first so if conforms a little better, just make sure it is nice and tight.
Old 12-14-09, 12:52 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped some SBC headers a while back, I don't have any specific data other than wear gloves and I believe there is a waterproofing spray for it. But don't quote me on the spray.

NFI-NO F-ing Idea
Old 12-14-09, 01:31 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biggu
no thats not the only reason, with exhaust wrap moisture can be trapped under and help corrosion.
it worked well on cast iron headers from the 50s and 60s but the new stainless thin walled headers will suffer. if you have to wrap to avoid overheating other parts. like brake lines are close or master cyl, wrap the component in dei thermal tape...cheap and works great.
How common is corrosion heard of with heat wrap applications?? I would assume the moisture problems tend to be more common in places like Florida or anywhere near the coast..i live in a real dry part of Texas.
Old 12-14-09, 01:52 PM
Retox
Driver

NFI = no f??king idea
Old 12-14-09, 02:20 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

You really would only need to heat wrap anything that would be close to something that could melt. I would do just headers and Down pipe. If you want to go all out. Coat the pipes to protect them, then use heat wrap to keep heat in. Over all heat wrap is going to keep overall engine temps lower since it shields the pipes better.
Old 12-14-09, 03:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sventhemac
I wrapped some SBC headers a while back, I don't have any specific data other than wear gloves and I believe there is a waterproofing spray for it. But don't quote me on the spray.

NFI-NO F-ing Idea
yes there is a waterproofing spray. head over to Jegs.com and check out the heat wrap and they will have the spray avaliable for it. I have been using heat wrap for years and NEVER had rust/corrosion problems, and I live 10minutes from the beach.

Use a turbo blanket on the turbo, ceramic coat the exhaust housing and manifold, wrap the manifold, and the down pipe..finished.
Old 12-14-09, 04:52 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
yes there is a waterproofing spray. head over to Jegs.com and check out the heat wrap and they will have the spray avaliable for it. I have been using heat wrap for years and NEVER had rust/corrosion problems, and I live 10minutes from the beach.

Use a turbo blanket on the turbo, ceramic coat the exhaust housing and manifold, wrap the manifold, and the down pipe..finished.
should i send in the manifold for coating after we cut and weld the proper flange for the wastegate??

edit: where do you all recommend i send it for coating? so far ive read up on jet-hot, and HPC. Thanks again for everyones input. appreciated greatly.

Last edited by ashtray; 12-14-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 03:26 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

^^^anyone?
Old 12-16-09, 03:43 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

dei titatnium series header wrap is great... no need to soak it before hand... its made of mashed up lava rock i think.... better performance and less install time than the normal stuff... but its spensive
Old 12-16-09, 04:12 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
should i send in the manifold for coating after we cut and weld the proper flange for the wastegate??

edit: where do you all recommend i send it for coating? so far ive read up on jet-hot, and HPC. Thanks again for everyones input. appreciated greatly.

yes after..as far as where to send it, not sure.

Quick Reply: questions on heat wrapping