Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Let's just clarify the w58 tranny and shifter issue right here in this thread.

Old 04-05-13, 11:57 AM
1slowsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to replace my 92 w58 goose neck. If I get a mk4 tripod w58, is it possable to swap the gooseneck on the tripod style transmission? Did mk4 come with goosenecks?
Old 04-22-14, 02:14 PM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1slowsc
I need to replace my 92 w58 goose neck. If I get a mk4 tripod w58, is it possable to swap the gooseneck on the tripod style transmission? Did mk4 come with goosenecks?
In short, No.

From what I have gathered the 92-94 SC's can use the MKIII's shifters. But I have not been able to find a short throw shifter.
Old 04-22-14, 11:31 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ 1slowsc's post is about a year old. I think he's moved on by now.

SpooledSC, the MKIII Supras and SC's both use "swan-neck" shifters but the SC version is slightly more pronounced. Even so, you can use an MKIII swan shifter in an SC. It doesn't sit *exactly* the same way but it will work just fine.

And there is, in fact, a short shifter available: SupraSport's "V3" short shifter for MKIII Supras. I can confirm it works perfectly in an SC as I daily drive with one in my car. It's basically a C's short shifter copy with some slight alteration. Very high quality part.
Old 04-23-14, 01:02 PM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ 1slowsc's post is about a year old. I think he's moved on by now.

SpooledSC, the MKIII Supras and SC's both use "swan-neck" shifters but the SC version is slightly more pronounced. Even so, you can use an MKIII swan shifter in an SC. It doesn't sit *exactly* the same way but it will work just fine.

And there is, in fact, a short shifter available: SupraSport's "V3" short shifter for MKIII Supras. I can confirm it works perfectly in an SC as I daily drive with one in my car. It's basically a C's short shifter copy with some slight alteration. Very high quality part.
Made a noob mistake and didn't check the year.

I was looking all yesterday for one since I thought I was missing one for my 1993 SC (In middle of 5 speed swap with my 92-94 SC trans) and saw post as current on my phone. LOL!

I end up finding the stock one but I would like to have a short throw for sure. Thanks!
Old 05-06-14, 11:41 PM
KahnBB6

Old 06-05-14, 12:10 AM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

Hate to bring itt back from the dead again kinda having a hard time with my w58. Screwed up and bought the mk3 one by mistake and still haven't got it to work. Finally figured out the trans mount issue and now that it's bolted up to the block I realized that the hole where the shifter goes is about 2 inches more forward that it was on my 92 w58. Even with my stock 92 swan neck shifter, it hits the front of the trim that surrounds the shift boot.

Anybody know what I need to make this work?

Last edited by 1slow240; 06-05-14 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-05-14, 12:30 AM
KahnBB6

^^ There is actually a shifter extension housing for the W58 that is SC300 specific. You need one of those to make the MK3 W58 work in your car. In this case, it was a part that was offered in the USA and thus is not as big a deal as with the MKIII R154 transmissions. Whether or not it is still available for order I do not know, nor can I tell you what part number it carries. More than likely, unless you have that part number Toyota preferred to list the transmission as a whole item. You will otherwise have to find one of those used.

Note also that the MK3 W58 has an aluminum sandwich plate giving it a lower maximum horsepower threshold than the SC300 and MKIV versions.

You'll also need an SC300 electronic VSS unit (or the Marlin Crawler VSS adaptor to convert the mechanical speedo cable drive to an electronic signal) and a YellowBox V4 to intercept the VSS signal and correct the speedo inaccuracy.

Edit -- This thread details the visual differences between the MKIII Supra W58, SC300 W58 and MKIV Supra W58:

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...uit-the-soarer

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-05-14 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-05-14, 11:25 AM
1slow240
Driver School Candidate

^^ There is actually a shifter extension housing for the W58 that is SC300 specific. You need one of those to make the MK3 W58 work in your car. In this case, it was a part that was offered in the USA and thus is not as big a deal as with the MKIII R154 transmissions. Whether or not it is still available for order I do not know, nor can I tell you what part number it carries. More than likely, unless you have that part number Toyota preferred to list the transmission as a whole item. You will otherwise have to find one of those used.

Note also that the MK3 W58 has an aluminum sandwich plate giving it a lower maximum horsepower threshold than the SC300 and MKIV versions.

You'll also need an SC300 electronic VSS unit (or the Marlin Crawler VSS adaptor to convert the mechanical speedo cable drive to an electronic signal) and a YellowBox V4 to intercept the VSS signal and correct the speedo inaccuracy.

Edit -- This thread details the visual differences between the MKIII Supra W58, SC300 W58 and MKIV Supra W58:

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...uit-the-soarer

Oh OK I see. Should have just kept the rear half of the tranny and switched all the parts over. But now that the transmission is mounted on the car and everything is put back together, is there any way I can just modify my current shifter to work with this transmission instead of taking everything off and apart all over again? Like maybe bending the swan neck another 1 1/2 inches back?
Old 06-29-14, 11:32 AM
eblick99
Driver

im doing this swap now, thanks for the info. im using an even older W58 out of mkII supra with rebuilt internals and 2jz bellhousing. if anyone is interested i can post pics when i get it done.
Old 09-20-14, 09:47 AM
mrnova
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eblick99
im doing this swap now, thanks for the info. im using an even older W58 out of mkII supra with rebuilt internals and 2jz bellhousing. if anyone is interested i can post pics when i get it done.
I have that same setup waiting to be done for my '94. Can we see those pics?
Old 09-20-14, 09:58 AM
eblick99
Driver

Originally Posted by mrnova
I have that same setup waiting to be done for my '94. Can we see those pics?
here are pics of how it looked out of the MKII...pretty nasty and cracked bell housing. ill try and get pics later today of how it looks now. my car was an auto so im making my own cosole cover out of painted sheet metal, not sure about differences in length between late model SCs and supras vs early model supras (or other w58s for that matter) i just want manual trans

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...how-to-id.html

and technically i think this is a w57 as it has an aluminium sandwich plate. or maybe just really early model w58. interested to see how gearing is since the gear ratios of this trans are much closer compared to the later w58s.
Old 02-11-16, 09:19 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this thread back but I have a question for the 1UZ W58 guys.

Will the W58 MK3 Supra (the 3rd one from the left pictured below) trans line up fine with the 92-94 Sc300 shifter and crossmember bolted to a 1uz? I have a good notion to just put the car on the lift and try it (I have all these parts) but I was just wondering if anyone knew if something was different that I need to be concerned about.

Old 02-11-16, 11:48 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Tory4
Sorry to bring this thread back but I have a question for the 1UZ W58 guys.

Will the W58 MK3 Supra (the 3rd one from the left pictured below) trans line up fine with the 92-94 Sc300 shifter and crossmember bolted to a 1uz? I have a good notion to just put the car on the lift and try it (I have all these parts) but I was just wondering if anyone knew if something was different that I need to be concerned about.

Bolt to a 1UZ with an adapter kit, yes. Line up to the 92-94 SC300 M/T tunnel opening, no (SC300/SC400 A/T tunnels require cutting with manuals anyway unless you do an early or later style M/T tunnel swap). Bolt onto the SC300 W58 transmission mount and crossmember, no.

It can be made to work but it is a lot of extra trouble and not a factory fit as far as the shifter and crossmember are concerned. Plus that version of the W58 is weaker than the SC300 or MKIV version.

MKIII W58's (and MKIII R154's) also require a Marlin Crawler VSS adapter for the three wire speedometer signal SC's use.

This was done very recently by another member. His solution for the shifter turned out to be a new custom design from Australia:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ich-plate.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-on-sc400.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-is-this.html

There MKIII Supra W58 has a shift housing extension from the factory but this is NOT the same as the longer shifter housing extension on SC300 92-94 W58's (95-97 SC300 and the MKIV W58's are tripod).

Take a look at those threads. The custom crossmember solution options are exactly the same as you'd use if you were going to bolt in an MKIII Supra R154 since both MKIII manual gearboxes use the same style rubber mounts.

It's much better to find an SC300 or MKIV W58.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-12-16 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-12-16, 01:31 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt to a 1UZ with an adapter kit, yes. Line up to the 92-94 SC300 M/T tunnel opening, no (SC300/SC400 A/T tunnels require cutting with manuals anyway unless you do an early or later style M/T tunnel swap). Bolt onto the SC300 W58 transmission mount and crossmember, no.

It can be made to work but it is a lot of extra trouble and not a factory fit as far as the shifter and crossmember are concerned. Plus that version of the W58 is weaker than the SC300 or MKIV version.

MKIII W58's (and MKIII R154's) also require a Marlin Crawler VSS adapter for the three wire speedometer signal SC's use.

This was done very recently by another member. His solution for the shifter turned out to be a new custom design from Australia:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ich-plate.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-on-sc400.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-is-this.html

There MKIII Supra W58 has a shift housing extension from the factory but this is NOT the same as the longer shifter housing extension on SC300 92-94 W58's (95-97 SC300 and the MKIV W58's are tripod).

Take a look at those threads. The custom crossmember solution options are exactly the same as you'd use if you were going to bolt in an MKIII Supra R154 since both MKIII manual gearboxes use the same style rubber mounts.

It's much better to find an SC300 or MKIV W58.
Thanks for the info. I've been looking to just do a R154 swap which will probably end up happing anyways. I actually don't like the W58. I was picking up some MR2 parts and saw the W58 there. The guy told me it was a early Sc300 w58 so I told him I'd take it. Rebuild parts for the R154 are getting harder to get and I just recently had to make a full 3/4 sliding hub for one because its no longer available... The W58 I got has the steel center section so I just went with it... Oh well 200 bucks down the drain...

I've done the swaps before using the R154... We use the auto crossmember, mill it out and make it work. We have some custom spacers we designed to take up the slack.

The only thing I don't have a good grasp on is the shifter location. We used the Supra R154 It fits fine because that car has no dash (its a race car). My finance's car has interior in it and I guess I need to do things as I would a street car... I already have the MK3 1j driveshaft. I was looking and I guess what I need to do now is just get the shifter extension for the Supra R154 from drift works (they offer it as a service)... I could do it but quite honestly I've been fabricating for 8 years non stop and I'm burnt out for a while...

Again thanks for your help!
Old 02-12-16, 01:59 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I read there is a slight difference between 1uz and JZ length, as in mounted in the factory spot, one is further back than the other when you attach the same transmission and shifter. I honestly have forgotten which one it was but it was somewhere in the depths of the 350z trans swap thread, like an inch difference or something. pretty sure you need an extension on a mk3 trans either way. if its a mk4 trans then its perfect, early SC needs the swan swan neck shifter to be perfect , late SC is same as mk4 as in perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's just clarify the w58 tranny and shifter issue right here in this thread.