Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Let's just clarify the w58 tranny and shifter issue right here in this thread.

Old 02-06-11, 12:34 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
what is a reliable clutch kit for the w58 so that can hold 450+hp without having to chit a break worrying about missing a shift and everything taking a crap on you?
There are clutches available that can hold that much, but what exactly are you asking though; are you concerned about the W58 or your clutch? A clutch that grabs and holds 100% is definitely going to stress your W58 more.
Old 02-06-11, 03:19 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ok i just wanted to clarify because i now have ANOTHER SC with the 95+ 5spd swap done...

the mk4 supra W58 and the 95+ SC300 W58 have different shifter tripods and different shifters.

THE MK4 SUPRA SHIFTER TRIPOD IS 1/2" LONGER THAN THE 95+ SC300 SHIFTER TRIPOD.
the mk4 supra shifter also has a slight tilt to the left, so account for the slight tilt in the center console on the supras.

if you use the mk4 shifter tripod the shifter will be very close to touching the shifter boot surround (plastic). mine can actually hit the plastic if i shift hard enough.
the sc300 tripod sits the shifter 1/2" farther forward so it is actually in the center of the shifter boot area and does not hit anything.

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE W58s (mk4 supra NA, and 95+ sc300) that have the external shifter tripod. this is 100% correct. I had both the tripods and shifters for the mk4 and 95+ sc300 sitting next to eachother, but forgot to take a picture. i owned both of them and verified this.

Last edited by cartmill; 04-05-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 11:06 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
There are clutches available that can hold that much, but what exactly are you asking though; are you concerned about the W58 or your clutch? A clutch that grabs and holds 100% is definitely going to stress your W58 more.
i think i'm worried about the tranny more at this point because i clutch kit the can hold the power that you throw at it only means that the tranny will take a chit before the clutch does1

correct?
Old 03-27-11, 12:50 PM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

Another bump (It's better than starting a new thread, right? ).

Can someone please clarify what the deal is when using a MKIV Supra W58 in a 92 - 94 SC (or soarer in my case)? From the bits and pieces of information I've collected so far it sounds like it'll either:
A) Sit perfectly
B) Sit too far back
C) Will require a sizeable chuck of centre console cut out

Can anyone tell me which it'll be once and for all?

I want to find the simplest way of doing the swap, short of sourcing a 92-94 SC300 W58 as they just don't exist over here .

Thanks
Old 04-03-11, 08:13 PM
skipjagger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a w58 just sitting in my garage!!!! if the pond between us and england wasnt so dang huge ide sell you it cheap!!! i have a flywheel clutch and driveshaft too!! im in the prosses of doing a r154 swap so i have everything you need for a w58, including an act extreme pressure plate and 6 puck disk!!! well not for long i just put some stuff on ebay but they are taking like 40 bux from me!! ugg and i cant post on the classifieds here for some reason.
Old 04-03-11, 08:16 PM
skipjagger
Rookie

oh its a 92-94 trans and my car is a 92 sc300 buy a boat and come pick it up Connecticut! lol
Old 04-03-11, 11:01 PM
skipjagger
Rookie

Old 04-08-11, 08:22 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cartmill
ok i just wanted to clarify because i now have ANOTHER SC with the 95+ 5spd swap done...

the mk4 supra W58 and the 95+ SC300 W58 have different shifter tripods and different shifters.

the mk4 supra shifter also has a slight tilt to the left, so account for the slight tilt in the center console on the supras.

if you use the mk4 shifter tripod the shifter will be very close to touching the shifter boot surround (plastic). mine can actually hit the plastic if i shift hard enough.
the sc300 tripod sits the shifter 1/2" farther forward so it is actually in the center of the shifter boot area and does not hit anything.

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE W58s (mk4 supra NA, and 95+ sc300) that have the external shifter tripod. this is 100% correct. I had both the tripods and shifters for the mk4 and 95+ sc300 sitting next to eachother, but forgot to take a picture. i owned both of them and verified this.
Wow I'm two months late but I've never heard of this. Interesting. Very interesting...
Old 04-09-11, 07:14 AM
yell0w
Driver

I have a 97 sc300 auto that I'm planning to take to the shop to get it switched over to manual.

Currently this is what I have:

w58 from 93 sc300, bellhousing, brake and clutch pedals, slave cylinder with steel braided line, drive shaft, shift boot....i don't have a clutch yet but i can get that from the local store since i'm just getting stock anyways

what else am i missing? manual ecu? master cylinder? flywheel? anything else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-09-11, 01:37 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill

I believe you about the shifter lengths but not about the tilt. You forget these transmission and shifters are used in both LHD and RHD vehicles.
Old 04-10-11, 08:51 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
i think i'm worried about the tranny more at this point because i clutch kit the can hold the power that you throw at it only means that the tranny will take a chit before the clutch does1

correct?
There are definitely puck'd clutches available for the W58 that can contribute to breaking the transmission.

People talk about the W58 as if it's made out of glass. Don't believe the hype. The W58 has been proven time and again for taking tons of abuse in the sub 400hp range.

I just installed a stage 4 puck'd competition clutch with my W58. I had my W58 internals inspected for wear before installation and I used redline mt-90 fluid in the trans.

500 miles and so far the W58 shifts and feels just as good as the Soarer R154 it replaced.

If you have no idea as to what condition your W58 is in , internally and you install some heavy duty clutch with the W58. Then your taking a chance. That is why I had my W58 checked internally by a manual transmission builder. He said it showed no signs of wear internally. That's pretty good for a 15yr old W58 transmission!

Last edited by RyanV; 04-10-11 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-10-11, 10:41 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
I believe you about the shifter lengths but not about the tilt. You forget these transmission and shifters are used in both LHD and RHD vehicles.
would you believe me if you knew the shifter could be installed 180* opposite, so it would be tilting slightly in the opposite direction (the RH side of the car)?
Old 04-10-11, 11:20 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I really wish you had taken pics. This is the only time I've ever heard of there being any difference in sc300/supra W58 shifter setups.

The shifter itself can definitely be installed 180degree opposite, but I've never seen one tilted either way??
Old 04-10-11, 12:23 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scfou
Here's a few pictures:

Below is a w58 tranny off of the mkiv supra.

I also find this shifter interesting as I've only seen shorter straight shifters for this transmission.

You can't just use an earlier model swan neck shifter for the 'top loader' W58 either because it has a small ball at the bottom whereas the 95+ sc300 shifters have a bolt that goes through the bottom of the shifter to hold it into the bracket.

sp what shifter is this exactly??
Old 08-15-12, 07:07 PM
thebadz32
Driver

Any clue y this was changed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's just clarify the w58 tranny and shifter issue right here in this thread.