Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Info on SC400 vvti w58 swap!

Old 12-04-09, 07:21 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on SC400 vvti w58 swap!

I would like to gather as much info as possible before doing this. The sc400 non vvti is starting to become pretty popular as more and more drivers are starting to do it. Redphoenix is one of them with very detailed info on the swap, plus most importantly, he makes it very easy to understand. Currently, I have a complete 95 sc300 w58 5spd swap sitting inside my garage, and I would like to do the swap on my vvti sc400.

Some info I've gathered so far: There's an adapter plate available for the w58 to mate onto the 1uz engine. However, the plate says it's good for the a34x auto trannies and doesn't mention about the a650 tranny currently on the vvti 1uz engine. I guess it's important to find out if the bellhousing off the a34x tranny is the same bellhousing as the a650 tranny. The mkiii pedals is what I will be using, although not really recommended, will also work on the sc, and 2jzlex had done this on his sc400. My w58 tranny has the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing, slightly different than redphoenix's w58 tranny where he had to drill 2 holes for the clutch lines to enter through the top of the bellhousing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my setup should be easier than rephoenix's because all I have to do is hook up the clutch line to the slave cylinder and that's it right? I also have the 5spd drive shaft included in the sc300 swap kit. Now will I need to use it? Or can I simply use the existing one for the vvti sc400? And as far as the wiring goes, all I would have to do is bypass the neutral safety switch and hook up the reverse lights right? Will the 5spd result in a cel turning on after everything is done? Someone also said that keeping the stock auto ecu will work as long as you are not boosting right? What if I decide on running a 75 wet shot? I heard the timing would be off if I go FI.

Let's stop here for now. Suggestions are highly appreciated.
Old 12-08-09, 05:47 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

do you have any pictures of the build. and where you talk about the slave cylinder on the side of the w58 tranny, is that already there? Im still new to this stuff so please bear with me, thanks. lol
test drove a 93 SC300 5 speed yesterday and im determined on doin this swap....
Old 12-08-09, 05:59 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kpkim01
do you have any pictures of the build. and where you talk about the slave cylinder on the side of the w58 tranny, is that already there? Im still new to this stuff so please bear with me, thanks. lol
test drove a 93 SC300 5 speed yesterday and im determined on doin this swap....
I figured it out thanks to a few people here who's done a manual conversion on the sc4. It looks very easy . Basically, when you remove your auto tranny, you will take apart the bellhousing and use it on your w58 tranny. Of course you will have to remove the bellhousing off the w58 as it's pretty much useless for your application. The auto bellhousing won't bolt on to the w58 tranny unless you buy the adapter that goes in between the 2 parts, which costs around $300.00. The slave cylinder is hooked up on the side of the w58 bellhousing, and you won't need to use that part at all. The slave cylinder is used to manually push the fork which you'll see from the w58 tranny before you remove the bellhousing. You cannot reuse this fork and apply it onto the auto bellhousing. It just won't work. And therefore, you us a hydrallic something (forgot the term, Lol..), that will replace the fork. There will be 2 ss lines hook up to this hydrallic part which you will have to drill 2 holes just large enough on the auto bell housing, so that the lines will go through it from the outside. That's pretty much it. I think the hardest part of this project is hooking up the 5spd pedals.
Old 12-08-09, 06:09 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed!!! Very interesting thread specially the VVTI manual swap. I don't know if you've read but someone had posted something similar. He claims that the smog result passed. No CEL but the Smog Tech's computer detected a code (i believe for the auto tranny) resulting for the tech to fail it. This is my only worry. Other than that, I'd like to do the manual swap for my 99 SC4.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this thread

Here is the guy's post regarding his smog.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pass-smog.html
Old 12-08-09, 06:21 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Universal Hydrallic Throwout Bearing is what it's called and you need the Howe 82870 Throwout Bearing, and don't forget the spacer too. You may be able to find a used one on Ebay.
Old 12-08-09, 06:26 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Subscribed!!! Very interesting thread specially the VVTI manual swap. I don't know if you've read but someone had posted something similar. He claims that the smog result passed. No CEL but the Smog Tech's computer detected a code (i believe for the auto tranny) resulting for the tech to fail it. This is my only worry. Other than that, I'd like to do the manual swap for my 99 SC4.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this thread

Here is the guy's post regarding his smog.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...pass-smog.html
Man that sucks big time if that's the case. I mean what does an auto tranny have to do with passing smog? As long as it's not poluting the air and meets cal. requirements, that should do it. But I'm still going for this swap and as a matter fact, I will also put on the imf headers while I'm at it. I just need to take a week off work and find a friend who can help with this.
Old 12-08-09, 07:43 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly. The tranny doesn't do anything but I guess you should absolutely should not have any CEL or error code. Its California rule so just like what the guy said on the thread, it sucks... Maybe if you can find another tech that will pass it after explaining that it was due to auto to manual swap.
Old 12-08-09, 08:24 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

I get the part about the bell housing but I'm a little stuck on the hydrolic part. How exactly does it hook up, I have a faint idea of how it will work. And I think putting in the pedal would be the hardest part to. If we had redphoenix on here that would be great!!
Old 12-08-09, 08:53 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Its a substitution to the fork. The convensional one is the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder and there is like a rod to the slave cylinder to push the fork then the fork moves the throw-out bearing when you shift... Hope I explained that right hehehee...

With the hydrolic part, it is directly attached to the bearing or that adapter behind that bearing that pushes it instead of having the slave cylinder to the fork.
Old 12-08-09, 08:57 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

So the hydrolic pushes this bearing behind the adapter allowing the carto shift?
Old 12-08-09, 08:58 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

damn i've been trying to decide either to do a w58 swap or a 2jzgte swap and every time i see a thread like this i get so tempted to get more power out of the vvti motor...if you dont mind scfou maybe you could post up some pics and links or prices of how much everything will cost ....that wud help a lot b/c the big isssue i have is money the 2jz 6spd is expensive
Old 12-08-09, 09:58 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc4demon
damn i've been trying to decide either to do a w58 swap or a 2jzgte swap and every time i see a thread like this i get so tempted to get more power out of the vvti motor...if you dont mind scfou maybe you could post up some pics and links or prices of how much everything will cost ....that wud help a lot b/c the big isssue i have is money the 2jz 6spd is expensive
I got the 5spd kit a few yrs. back and paid $980 for it shipped to my door. It seems surprisingly simple to do this swap and really not too many parts are involved. Clutch & Brake pedal, ss hardlines, clutch mas cylinder, w58 tranny, clutch disc/flywheel, 1uz adapter to w58, howe throwout bearing/spacer, and that's just about it. I think the hardest part is doing the clutch pedal and brake pedal (back breaking as I've done it once before). You can also do a r154 swap now and then do the tt swap later. I wouldn't recommend the w58 because I sense you are looking for big hp when you talk about a gte swap. Me, all I'm looking for is to squeeze out as much hp out of the na 1uz as possible, then maybe a 50-75shot wet zex, Lol. 400hp crank and I'm happy.
Old 12-09-09, 04:00 PM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

when you do this...please make a DIY thread so I can use it when I go to swap in mine on my 98
Old 01-02-10, 01:38 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

yeah a DIY thread would be highly appreciated for my 98 as well.
Old 01-03-10, 10:17 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SUBSCRIBED.
I would love to see this pulled off. I always thought there was a reason no one had done a vvt-i conversion, figured it had something to do with the vvt-i and shifting. But once this works out I think A LOT of people will be trying this.

oOoo makes me all gitty just thinking of my '99 being a manual! ha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Info on SC400 vvti w58 swap!