Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Transmission Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 09:06 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Transmission Filter?

Thoughts on aftermarket transmission filters? I'm going to be changing my filter very soon because I'm having a few issues that maybe caused by a clogged tranny filter and normally I use OEM parts but I really dont want to wait much longer to start this and my local Autozone has the following brand filters for my car in stock.

AZ
Fram
WIX
ATP
Beck/Arnley

Some of the kits come with a gasket, but I think I'm going to use FIPG. So what are your thoughts on using one of the above listed brands?
Old 12-04-09, 03:48 PM
phoenix300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id stick with WIX or Beck/Arnley, preferably Beck/Arnley first choice. I wouldn't trust fram at all from my experiences with their other filters and I honestly dont know AZ or ATP.

What issues are you experiencing?
Old 12-04-09, 04:53 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

My car feels VERY sluggish shifting from 1st to 2nd and I can hear a whinning/whistle coming from the tranny area, it revs to about 2500rpm from 1st to 2nd and 2500-2900rpm from 2nd to 3rd. I had the exact same sound on my old BMW and the filter was clogged up, once I changed the filter the sound went away and shifting was much smoother.
Old 12-04-09, 10:41 PM
phoenix300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
My car feels VERY sluggish shifting from 1st to 2nd and I can hear a whinning/whistle coming from the tranny area, it revs to about 2500rpm from 1st to 2nd and 2500-2900rpm from 2nd to 3rd. I had the exact same sound on my old BMW and the filter was clogged up, once I changed the filter the sound went away and shifting was much smoother.
Hrmm... in my experience a whistling sound was usually the rear end, not the trans. Do a service to the filter and fluid and check the results, if the rear diff hasnt been done in a while change the fluid in it too.... although if the damage is done that wont help. Im a honda mechanic at a dealer and customers will bring in their cars for a trans drain and fill bc its shifting hard and driving rough... at that point a drain and fill only makes it worse.

I hope this isnt at all the case, I dont have years of experience with this vehicle and trans is not my strong point, but like I said, the try the service first, its cheaper, and if it fixes things, which I hope it does, awesome.
Old 12-04-09, 10:55 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phoenix300
Hrmm... in my experience a whistling sound was usually the rear end, not the trans. Do a service to the filter and fluid and check the results, if the rear diff hasnt been done in a while change the fluid in it too.... although if the damage is done that wont help. Im a honda mechanic at a dealer and customers will bring in their cars for a trans drain and fill bc its shifting hard and driving rough... at that point a drain and fill only makes it worse.

I hope this isnt at all the case, I dont have years of experience with this vehicle and trans is not my strong point, but like I said, the try the service first, its cheaper, and if it fixes things, which I hope it does, awesome.
LOL please never mention that horrid smelling Diff ever again lol. Back in July I was getting a howling noise that was coming from the diff so I changed the fluid which looked like it was NEVER changed....not even once in the whole 190k and take a look at the surprise I pulled out:

Once i filled it up the howling went away, but I guess there is a possibility that the diff could be whining again.

Well either way For $30 I will changed the transmission filter just to be nice to pre abused car. HMMMM maybe its time to start looking for new diff, huh?

Could the diff cause a huge lost in power/torque in 1st and 2nd gear.............I'm guessing so huh?
Old 04-26-13, 04:16 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
LOL please never mention that horrid smelling Diff ever again lol. Back in July I was getting a howling noise that was coming from the diff so I changed the fluid which looked like it was NEVER changed....not even once in the whole 190k and take a look at the surprise I pulled out:

Once i filled it up the howling went away, but I guess there is a possibility that the diff could be whining again.

Well either way For $30 I will changed the transmission filter just to be nice to pre abused car. HMMMM maybe its time to start looking for new diff, huh?

Could the diff cause a huge lost in power/torque in 1st and 2nd gear.............I'm guessing so huh?
Wow that looks horrible, I wonder if I should change that part. Car's got 230K on the first engine, 128 on the second one....I want to do everything to keep it going long and strong. Was looking at doing the transmission filter stuff, but was unsure what brand to go with.
Old 04-27-13, 07:11 AM
Tam4511
Driver

I used a WIX filter when I did mine.
Old 04-27-13, 08:34 PM
sj408
Instructor

A trans filter is generally a metal screen, also the inside of an auto trans is incredibly clean so if there is anything big enough to clog your filter you have major issue.

Also i was reading a manual on the a340e online before and it said the whining noise from the trans that is always there and sometimes goes away when you put it in neutral is a clogged front pump. Usually clogged with clutch material
Old 04-27-13, 10:41 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I bought the ATP Transmission Filter. I got mine at NAPA but I think I could have got a better price online. The stock filter is metal and can be cleaned with brake cleaner. However I would recommend changing it while you already have the transmission open. The stock filter, even though is metal is 20 years old. Might as well buy a new filter. The filter is not expensive ranging from $20-$60. I bought the ATP one over another brand because the other brand was rumored to use a Cork style gasket (Wix). I'm not sure if it was true or not for the A340 filter they make, but the Wix filter was considerably cheaper. I decided not to take the chance and bought the ATP. I'm sure there are other good brands too."

Copy pasta from what I wrote in another thread. I don't know if the Wix is cork style but from what I read the ATP filter is better. Also the replacement filters are not metal screens like the stock filter from what I remember (not that this really changes anything).
Old 09-25-14, 09:55 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

do you use the gasket or??