Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clublexus, any idea what's wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 12:22 AM
RaphyV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clublexus, any idea what's wrong with my car?

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to all. Now a little background info on my car.

I have a 99 sc300 I purchased 2 months ago. Did the drive test, found nothing wrong with the car mechanically. The car drove fine for about the first month I owned it, then things started to go wrong.

Start up of the car and initial driving the car was fine. After about 20 minutes of driving, it would act up. When I slow down and brake, the car vibrates when it downshifts from 2nd back to 1st. When I got going again, it would shift hard from first to second, not a smooth engagement of the gear. When I take my foot off the gas there would be a loud clunking sound from what it sounds like the transmission. 3rd and 4th gear seemed okay. I took it to my mechanic and he said that the transmission was slipping because the automatic transmission fluid was brown/burnt and needed to be replaced. They drained and replaced the automatic tranny fluid. They also noticed that the tranny mount and passenger engine mount needed to be replaced. Thinking that would solve the issue, I went ahead and had them replaced.

When I got the car back from the shop yesterday, I drove it around for approximately 20 minutes. The car still vibrated when slowing down and when the tranny downshifted from 2nd back to first, but not as bad. When upshifting from 1st to second, it didn't shift as hard as it used to, and the transmssion didn't feel like it's slipping. I'm still taking a wait and see approach to see if the transmission will slip or still make and loud clunking sounds.

What could be wrong with my car? I barely had the car and all these issues are starting to arise. I want to be able to enjoy my car instead of having to worry about whether or not it will break down on me. Any help/advice appreciated. Did a search and wasn't able to find anything helpful in regards to my situation.
Old 11-26-09, 12:30 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well if tranny fluid smells burnt then you need to do more frequent drain and fills...assuming your mechanic did only a drain and fill, he replaced only 2 quarts of fluid from a transmission that holds 12 quarts. Just keep doing drain and fills for a couple of times and see if that solves the problem.
Old 11-26-09, 12:25 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

What Kaydee said... if it was a drain and fill there's still lots of the burnt fluid in there.

My fluid was brown and smelled burnt when I first picked up my SC, which caused sluggish shifting and a slight shudder going from O/D into 4th. Some will recommend against it, but I had a full flush with Toyota Type T-IV fluid and got all the old stuff out (rather than changing it out incrementally). Immediately after, shifting was much better and the shudder has been gone since.
Old 11-26-09, 02:47 PM
RaphyV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
What Kaydee said... if it was a drain and fill there's still lots of the burnt fluid in there.

My fluid was brown and smelled burnt when I first picked up my SC, which caused sluggish shifting and a slight shudder going from O/D into 4th. Some will recommend against it, but I had a full flush with Toyota Type T-IV fluid and got all the old stuff out (rather than changing it out incrementally). Immediately after, shifting was much better and the shudder has been gone since.
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to do a full tranny flush but I've read that it could possibly do more damage to the transmission because it could "shock" the transmission. When the drain and fill was done, 3 quarts was replaced, and it cost me approximately 75 dollars. How much does a full flush roughly cost?