Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help with auto tranny on 93 sc400

Old 10-29-09, 08:35 PM
BlaZeSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help with auto tranny on 93 sc400

i was told my tranny is blown but when i start the car i can drive it untill it gets to normal operating temp. then the car acts like its in neutral....
when the car moves it shifts beautifully with no hesitations or anything , when it heats up it starts to lose power, engine runs fine its just not getting the power it needs... i was going to replace the whole motor and tranny but when i ran the motor it runs good it shifts good its just when it heats up it basicly shuts down on operation.....its never stalled its never overheated or gotten to that point.... when the car is running it has a weird sound in the idle like a ratteling noise.... i think its the torque converter... what do you think? has anyone had this problem or heard of it???
thanks
Old 10-30-09, 02:54 PM
vegas_sc4
Driver

i got the same problem right now. did u recently change the tranny fluid? prolly gona need a new trans. i started getting the parts for my 5spd swap.
Old 10-30-09, 03:24 PM
BlaZeSC
Driver School Candidate

well i bought this car thinking i was going to replace the motor and tranny because they guy said he blew the tranny so he sold it to me for realy cheap. but when i got it home the motor sounds great and the tranny works untill it gets to normal operating temp.
but i can shut the car off and like 20 mins later it will start moving agian untill it gets warmed back up.... when it dose move the tranny shift great and gives it alot power so i dont think its the tranny......im pretty sure its the torque converter ill know for sure when i pull it apart this weekend , im gunna pull the oil pan out to, to see what the fluid looks like and if there are any debris in the tranny.....

thanks for your reply
Old 10-30-09, 03:48 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

check the level of the trans fluid, colour, and if there is a burnt smell.

then change it for genuine toyota type 4 fluid

the other owner may have put synthetic in and when it gets to operating temp it thins out too much and cannot grip onto anything inside the torque converter
Old 10-30-09, 04:18 PM
vegas_sc4
Driver

yea thats what i was thinkin v8soarer91. when i got mine the guy said he did a tranny flush but i checked it and it over filled and its prolly the wrong fluid. i found some fluid at checkers that is a replacement for the T-II fluid. i just havent done it yet to see. were usually in my gfs car so its just chillin for now. plus its been really windy. one of these days im gona get under it and flush it out.

would it be safe to unhook one of the tranny lines and turn the car on to get all the fluid out or would it burn somthin up?