Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

washed my engine bay, but the problem is not what you think, help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 12:12 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washed my engine bay, but the problem is not what you think, help please

well yes i did the stupidest thing ever, i washed my bay. But it didn't start acting funny till hours later. i had the car jacked up from the front end and when i put it back down it's sputtering like it only running on 5 cylinders. mind you the car was running fine for hours before. when i jacked it up i messed with nothing electronic. could somehow some water gotten in their when it was raised? i replaced spark plugs 1,2,5,6 . 1 was a little wet , the rest were bone dry which makes me think 3, and 4 will bone dry too. any suggestions? i'm not pulling any codes , it just runs like **** . I tried running it for a while to evaporate any water and no dice. let me know what you think. thnx
Old 10-22-09, 09:39 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check distributor for water?
Old 10-22-09, 10:02 AM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

maf? maybe when washing it did you disconnect a vacuum hose?
Old 10-22-09, 10:24 AM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like water in the plug holes. Try pulling your plugs and drying everything out. Oh yeah, make sure to put the wires back in the right location.
Old 10-22-09, 11:26 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

dizzy is dry as a bone, if the maf was f'd i would get a code wouldn't i?. I have not touched any vaccum lines. but usually a leak or disconnected hose would only affect idle wouldn't it? but if water was in the plug holes wouldn't it run like **** as soon as i started it? not 4 hours later.

Last edited by UTSC300; 10-22-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 02:48 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

I bought a 95 SC that had just had the engine bay washed, it missed and ran like crap the whole time i test drove it, i got the dealer to take $500 off cause i said it needed a tune up.
I drove it home from atlanta like that (200mi) and it cleared up and ran mint about halfway home and i had no issues after. I was pretty sure water got down into the plug galley and once it got hot evaporated and fixed the issue. so i suggest getting on the highway and driving for an hour or so and see if it clears up, also pull off the plug wires on the cap one by one and see which one is missing, youll know which one it is because the bad cylinder wont make any difference and the good ones will make the miss worse.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 10-22-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 04:36 PM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

yeah i got her up to operating temp and drove for about ten min with no change. maybe i should just take it on a long drive. I'm going to do plugs test with the wires hopefully it points out plug 3 ,4 as my problem. I'm still wondering why their was a delay in making the car run like **** until i jacked it up.
Old 10-22-09, 04:52 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

LOL my car was running like crap for about 2 weeks after i washed my engine bay.
Old 10-22-09, 04:55 PM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

and you just drove it daily like that , and it finally fixed itself ??
Old 10-24-09, 03:25 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UTSC300
and you just drove it daily like that , and it finally fixed itself ??
I had this EXACT problem! Ended up being the passeneger side coil.. Replaced the coil and never looked back.. This was on my sc400 that is.. Now, since its a 300 you're working on, definitely check the coil.. OR unplug the plug wires one by one and see which cylinder is not firing correctly.. When you find it.. Replace the plug wire.. If it still acts up, replace the coil.. Odd's are it will correct itself.. Hope this helps!
Old 10-24-09, 03:49 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

ut run compressed air in ur gally and see what happen if water shoots up u know the problem and try using a dry rag also.
Old 10-24-09, 03:55 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Justinizme
I had this EXACT problem! Ended up being the passeneger side coil.. Replaced the coil and never looked back.. This was on my sc400 that is.. Now, since its a 300 you're working on, definitely check the coil.. OR unplug the plug wires one by one and see which cylinder is not firing correctly.. When you find it.. Replace the plug wire.. If it still acts up, replace the coil.. Odd's are it will correct itself.. Hope this helps!
Its NOT the coil..... reason i know this?? cause there is only ONE COIL on his car so if it were bad the car wouldn't run. He just needs to go drive it around for a couple of hours and burn the water off.......
Old 10-24-09, 04:06 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Its NOT the coil..... reason i know this?? cause there is only ONE COIL on his car so if it were bad the car wouldn't run. He just needs to go drive it around for a couple of hours and burn the water off.......
True.. Hence the reason I suggested going thru and testing plug wires.. I was mainly thinking of my 1uz.. My apologizes..
Old 10-24-09, 07:02 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Justinizme
True.. Hence the reason I suggested going thru and testing plug wires.. My apologizes..
Which is what i suggested 4 posts above yours (in post #6) 2 days ago. No reason to apologize you were only trying to help.....
Old 10-25-09, 11:03 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

UPDATE : The car is running perfect now . I actually had two things wrong . When i was working on my car earlier i had undone a vaccum line going to the EGR . With that fixed i drove the car for about an hour to Nevada for some gambling cleared right up on its own. btw yeah thought about the coil too , but then thought yeah if that was gone the car wouldn't run. But thnx for all the help , u guys are awesome . I will never wash my engine bay again lol

Quick Reply: washed my engine bay, but the problem is not what you think, help please