Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Smoke on Start up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 01:48 PM
AzSc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke on Start up

So here is the deal, car is a 94 sc400 with 210k...when i start it up it smokes ALOT. it is gradually getting worse. If i let it sit overnight the smoke seems more blueish and is thick but if i let it sit for 20 min to any amount of time and start it its mostly white but still extremely thick. Let me tell you it really really smokes...very embarrasing. once the revs fall from starting it pretty much stops but will kinda lightly smoke SOMETIMES afterwards for maybe 3 min but the smoke is very light and just kinda blows around. Once it is warm it doesnt smoke at all.

Here is the intersting part, after 3200 mile oil change intervals it uses practically no oil and i havent added coolant in a very long time and the last time i did it was bearly any. Where is so much smoke coming from??? i feel like it would be eating up oil or coolant or something but its not.

The car has an x pipe so i cant tell what side of the motor the smoke is mainly coming from. on a side note, about 10k or so ago i had a coil go out on me. I was able to limp the car home on 4cyl (didnt know what the problem was at the time of course just wanted to get it home) and drove for maybe 5 min like this. when i got the car home and shut it off both the cats were glowing orange! Funny thing was i never threw a CEL even running on half the cyl. I determined the problem was the coil, replaced it and it was good to go. The car always had a TINY bit of smoke before this but it seemed like it has been getting worse since this has happened so idk if it has anything to do with it.

The car seems to smoke more if i park it on an incline with the nose up....anyways i was thinking it was maybe rings, valve guides, or head gasket but idk since it doesnt use any fluids and still runs good and doesnt overheat. Its got me stumped....I will try to take a vid of it soon and post it up so you guys can see the extent of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-09, 04:20 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

check your power steering fluid. its probably sucking in fluid from the power steering through the vaccum valve on the high pressure line.
Old 10-16-09, 05:45 PM
AzSc4
Driver School Candidate

This could very well be it, i have some power steering issues, got a few leaks and im always filling it up...now to think of it more than what seems to be leaking so maybe im burning it. i was under the car looking at the high pressure side and im not seeing anything that goes to vacuum yet..where is it exactly?

Thanks for the help btw