Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock 1JZ going Single.. Turbonetics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 12:30 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stock 1JZ going Single.. Turbonetics?

I have a stock 1JZ as I said in various other posts, and Im looking to go Single Turbo; however Im not sure what to go with, and the GT35R everyone recommends is just out of my budget unfortunately.
In fact, I dont wanna spend more then 300, but from what I observe this looks like a decent turbo, and the seller says it'll do the job for me..
So I might be willing to sacrifice an additional 100 bucks.
The only aftermarket thing I have so far, is a Drewgo T4 Flange Manifold
(It looks to me like this Turbo will mount to that, if Im not mistaken)
and I also have an MKIV Supra TT Radiator (OEM).

So like I said, I have a stock 1JZ, and I wanna go single turbo, but thats it for now..
In the future (Summer 2010) I'll think about doing supporing mods, to make more Hp, but in the meantime I just want a decent TQ/HP upgrade, with potantial to gain more later, without having to buy a diff. turbo all over again.

My goal for 2010 is 500Hp, but for now (off the bat) I'd like around 350 w/ smooth acceleration.
I was told I should up the injectors to 440cc (Supra MKIV, right?), which I might,
'cus they dont seem to expensive from what Ive seen..
Im new to bosting tho, so your help would be much appreciated.

Will this Turbo do the trick for me?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-09, 04:03 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That turbo will make 350rwhp all day long, but i doubt 500 rwhp. It a lot more you will need going single.
440cc injectors from JDM 2jz they drop right in no resistor pack needed.
FPR kit, fuel line and 255 pump.
OIl feed and return lines.
BOV,Wastegate, downpipe, SAFC.
That's all i can think of right now had a long day
Old 10-11-09, 07:13 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^He'll probably need 550cc injectors @ around 500whp.
It should spool up pretty quick and make a good amount of power down low, and on medium boost you should be around 400 -430 with a good tune I'm guessing.
Old 10-11-09, 07:24 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would personally go Garett... back when I was in the MKIV Supra scene I had a Garett setup and it was great - some of my friends had Turbonetics setups and they had problems.
Old 10-11-09, 09:34 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by quickGS300
That turbo will make 350rwhp all day long, but i doubt 500 rwhp. It a lot more you will need going single.
440cc injectors from JDM 2jz they drop right in no resistor pack needed.
FPR kit, fuel line and 255 pump.
OIl feed and return lines.
BOV,Wastegate, downpipe, SAFC.
That's all I can think of right now had a long day
So without all that, to get me to 500 (if I understood correctly) ;
what would you say is the max Hp/Tq I'll have, once its on, simply?
I do have a TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV tho..

Last edited by SEIDO; 10-11-09 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-11-09, 10:22 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
In fact, I dont wanna spend more then 300.
I am not trying to be a jackass, but if you don't even want to spend more than 300$ on a turbo, don't boost your car. The quality of parts you're going to get are going to cause you more problems, more money, and more downtime when they break. Again, not trying to be a douche, but you may want to wait and do it once instead of several times that are going to increasing cost you more money. Good luck.
Old 10-11-09, 11:42 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

If I have to spend more I will; Im not looking to buy crap.
However, I believe I can find a decent deal; Im pretty resourceful.
No offense taken..
Old 10-12-09, 06:29 AM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

that turbo is just fine. i will say this tho...plz dont take offense to my comment as im just trying to give u a heads up...u dont seem very competent about a turbocharging system so tread carefully. from what iv read...

-u want to go single and have budgeted $300

-u have a tubular manifold for the 1j (do u know if it has a t4 flange?)

-and a BOV

is that it?

everything else that u have mentioned will not help u go single...

it is a imperitive that u purchase these additional parts at the bare minimum...

-a good quality wastegate (i suggest a tial 44mm gate, proven quality) if u cheap out on the wastegate and ur wastegate spring get stuck close for whatever reason...KABOOM! game over...trust me on this one $250ish used

-turbo feed/return lines $100ish

-some sort out fuel controller (AFC) $200ish used

-new intercooler w/piping, ur stock **** wont work $200ish for a cheapo one

-properly sized downpipe/midpipe (duh) $100

these parts are not needed right away but i HIGHLY suggest getting this if u ever want to boost more than 6-9 psi on those dinky *** 370cc injectors u have right now...

-supra 550cc injectors w/usdm supra resistor pack $350ish used for both

-supra tt denso fuel pump $75ish used

i say save a but more cash and then go single...it aint gonna happen for $300

while u save, keep checking out supraforums FS section for deals like i mentioned above...if u r wait it out a bit, u can peice urself a very nice single kit with great quality parts for around $1000-$1200...best of luck

-Zeeshaun
Old 10-12-09, 07:34 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah you will need atleast 12/$1500, it like you are Na and Going Na-T except this time you won't have to buy a stand alone. You can buy some ebay cheap garbage but it won't last and you will end up blowing some up .
I am going single on my SC , i wanna do it right thefirst time and buy some quality parts thanks. I am selling a lot parts to come up with atleast 2000 .GL
Old 10-12-09, 10:56 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
that turbo is just fine. i will say this tho...plz dont take offense to my comment as im just trying to give u a heads up...u dont seem very competent about a turbocharging system so tread carefully. from what iv read...

-u want to go single and have budgeted $300

-u have a tubular manifold for the 1j (do u know if it has a t4 flange?)

-and a BOV

is that it?

everything else that u have mentioned will not help u go single...

it is a imperitive that u purchase these additional parts at the bare minimum...

-a good quality wastegate (i suggest a tial 44mm gate, proven quality) if u cheap out on the wastegate and ur wastegate spring get stuck close for whatever reason...KABOOM! game over...trust me on this one $250ish used

-turbo feed/return lines $100ish

-some sort out fuel controller (AFC) $200ish used

-new intercooler w/piping, ur stock **** wont work $200ish for a cheapo one

-properly sized downpipe/midpipe (duh) $100

these parts are not needed right away but i HIGHLY suggest getting this if u ever want to boost more than 6-9 psi on those dinky *** 370cc injectors u have right now...

-supra 550cc injectors w/usdm supra resistor pack $350ish used for both

-supra tt denso fuel pump $75ish used

i say save a but more cash and then go single...it aint gonna happen for $300

while u save, keep checking out supraforums FS section for deals like i mentioned above...if u r wait it out a bit, u can peice urself a very nice single kit with great quality parts for around $1000-$1200...best of luck

-Zeeshaun
It has a T4 Flange, yes.
I also have an HKS Intercooler (Type S, I think) but I was gonna sell it;
since the inlets are curved-inward, and will hit the radiator.
I might just go to an aluminum-welder, and have horizontal inlets welded on.
I meant 300 on a Turbo-alone.. Not "in all" however.

EG: See how the inlets face in?

I need outward inlets, like so (in order to go around the Radiator) ...

Last edited by SEIDO; 10-13-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 09:30 PM
96sc300
Lead Lap

Bro I am in the process of going single now and like these guys said. It is going to cost you way way over $300-$500 at least to go single. Here is a break down of what I have spent thus far and I still have a ways to go and this is just what I feel and I am sure everyone can agree is the minimal you should put on to support the single upgrade. Even trying to find everything used or even ebay crap will cost you well into $2000. My two cents save up and buy parts little by little and build it right.

-Manifold and down pipe $350
-decent intercooler $250
-Piping, t-bolts amd couplings for Intercooler $250
-Exhaust work $550
-SAFC $200
-Decent Boost Control $250
-Speed cut $90
-Boost Cut $90
-BOV $250
-Wastegate $250
-At bare min 550cc injectors with resis. $300
-Fuel Pressure regualtor with fuel lines and fittings $250
-You wana make sure to watch your air/fuel aem afr - $250
-250 fuel pump $90
-Decent turbo starting at $800
-Additional suuplies like oil lines end so... $200

and I am sure I am missing stuff from the list.

Last edited by 96sc300; 10-13-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-14-09, 01:11 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

this thread's pretty informative actually.. didn't know it would only cost $2-3k to do a descent setup..
Old 10-14-09, 07:13 AM
enslaved87
Driver School Candidate

I hate Turbonetics. With that being said, that turbo will make 500hp all day long. It will spool like the dickens on a 1jz. The only thing you may not like about it is the .58 exhaust snail. That is to say, it will limit you quite a bit in the upper end. But in all reality it should be pretty sweet if your 1j is stock, particularly the cams.

FYI - I built turbos for almost 10 years and have PLENTY of reasoning behind my disgust for Turbonetics. Let me try and sum it up in one word - china.
Old 10-14-09, 07:37 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96sc300
Bro I am in the process of going single now and like these guys said. It is going to cost you way way over $300-$500 at least to go single. Here is a break down of what I have spent thus far and I still have a ways to go and this is just what I feel and I am sure everyone can agree is the minimal you should put on to support the single upgrade. Even trying to find everything used or even ebay crap will cost you well into $2000. My two cents save up and buy parts little by little and build it right.

-Manifold and down pipe $350
-decent intercooler $250
-Piping, t-bolts amd couplings for Intercooler $250
-Exhaust work $550
-SAFC $200
-Decent Boost Control $250
-Speed cut $90
-Boost Cut $90
-BOV $250
-Wastegate $250
-At bare min 550cc injectors with resis. $300
-Fuel Pressure regualtor with fuel lines and fittings $250
-You wana make sure to watch your air/fuel aem afr - $250
-250 fuel pump $90
-Decent turbo starting at $800
-Additional suuplies like oil lines end so... $200

and I am sure I am missing stuff from the list.
Why do people keep saying this??
I was talking about the Turbocharger alone.. Not 300 for the entire upgrade; Im not stupid.
I ended up purchasing this one yesterday for 360..
So there; I dont think I did that bad.
I've been doing exactly what you said; Im aquiring each peice little by little..
Next-up is the Dr. Tweak - Wiring Harness Conversion.

Originally Posted by enslaved87
I hate Turbonetics. With that being said, that turbo will make 500hp all day long. It will spool like the dickens on a 1jz. The only thing you may not like about it is the .58 exhaust snail. That is to say, it will limit you quite a bit in the upper end. But in all reality it should be pretty sweet if your 1j is stock, particularly the cams.

FYI - I built turbos for almost 10 years and have PLENTY of reasoning behind my disgust for Turbonetics. Let me try and sum it up in one word - china.
Whats that mean "... like the dickens" ?

Last edited by SEIDO; 10-14-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-14-09, 09:24 AM
96sc300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Why do people keep saying this??
I was talking about the Turbocharger alone.. Not 300 for the entire upgrade; Im not stupid.
I ended up purchasing this one yesterday for 360..
So there; I dont think I did that bad.
I've been doing exactly what you said; Im aquiring each peice little by little..
Next-up is the Dr. Tweak - Wiring Harness Conversion.
Turbonetics like Enslaved87 is kinda ehhhhh. I hear more cons then pros to thier turbos.

A turbo, manifold and front mount is a good start to your build but it is not all you need to get that bad boy up and running. You at bare min to get that turbo on and running need to get the intercooler piping, downpipe and exhaust and all the proper lines to run the turbo. You can not just throw on a single and not have the proper mods to support it. You will be able to make your 350hp all day long and that turbo will still be sleeping. But to keep your motor or anything from going KAAABOOOM you want to be able to control your air/fuel at least with piggyback, safc-ii or neo. You need to be able to control your boost properly or you will get a spike beyond the limits of your fuel system and Kaaboom! Your fuel system will be at the top of its capacity at 350ish hp. This is just some of the supporting mods you need.

I personally would not put on that turbo until I have the mods to run it right. BTW you can make 350hp all day with your stock set up. I know people closer to 400hp on the stock twins. Not that I recommend going out and boosting your twins to 20lbs but at 16lbs and smaller mods like your front mount, exhaust, boost control and some tuning on a safc you will see 350hp. I say this not to put your goals down but in light of trying to keep a fellow boosted SC on the road and running . I have been down the rush things road and the results are more expensive. Plus all these mods on the twins will work for your single set up with very minor tweaking.

Last edited by 96sc300; 10-14-09 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock 1JZ going Single.. Turbonetics?