Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Non VVTI to VVTI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 12:50 AM
LMAOMAO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non VVTI to VVTI?

Hey guys, i was just wondering,

From a 93 Sc300 OEM 5-speed, with a non-vvti motor, what would i need to do to swap in a vvti motor, lets say from a later SC300, or an is300, if thats possible?

Im assuming i would have to switch out alot of wiring, and the ECU. Is it plug and play? Seeing as most motors are A/T ECU's what would i have to do to make it work.

Thanks alot in advance, im completely clueless when it comes to swaps.
Old 10-03-09, 01:19 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Why would you want to do that??? The vvti motors are weaker than the non vvti ones are.

If you are gonna go to all the trouble of a swap at least get a 1jz and make it worth while.
Old 10-03-09, 02:07 AM
LMAOMAO
Pole Position

Sorry, but here in the state of california, 1jzgte's aren't really a viable option for me.

What do you mean weaker?

VVTi makes 240, wheras a normal 2jz makes 225.
Old 10-03-09, 09:07 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LMAOMAO
Sorry, but here in the state of california, 1jzgte's aren't really a viable option for me.
LOL there is a TON of members on here that live in cali with swapped cars, if you are that worried about it then maybe you should just leave the car alone.

What do you mean weaker?

VVTi makes 240, wheras a normal 2jz makes 225.
They have weaker rods so if you plan to modify later on they dont hold as much power. Honestly do you think its worth all the hassles of swapping motors etc.. for 15hp???? You do know that youll have to convert from OBD1 to OBD2 so if the state checks your ECU with any kind of scan tool (some check the "check engine" light for codes) they will know instantly its been modded (OBD 2 only came in 1996+ cars) and they will probably give you more hassle than if you just did a 1jz swap (at least 1jz is OBD1) and no its not plug and play it would require just as much work/risk as a turbo swap.... Only without the benefit of boost.
Old 10-03-09, 09:17 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

With the amount of cost for a VVti engine and the hassle to swap...just piece part a bolt on turbo kit and make way more power.
Old 10-03-09, 01:19 PM
LMAOMAO
Pole Position

im not swapping the motor so i can get 15 hp.

I have a high mileage motor, and im just looking for viable options in-case the one i have does go.

And i know there are members with 1jzgte swaps on the forum in CA, but like i said, thats not a viable option for ME.

Thanks.

Last edited by LMAOMAO; 10-03-09 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 03:52 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Well i dont know how many miles you have on your car but my old SC has well over 260K on it and still going strong, i know of a several others over the quarter million mark with no issues either so if you maintain it they will last a LONG time, Since you are in cali if it goes bad you should have no issues finding a lower milage stock GE laying around to put back into it for a couple hundred bucks from someone that has done a swap.
Old 10-04-09, 06:49 AM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1uz vvti and w58
Old 10-04-09, 08:00 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Why would you want to do that??? The vvti motors are weaker than the non vvti ones are.

If you are gonna go to all the trouble of a swap at least get a 1jz and make it worth while.
How are all those IS300 boosted car makes good HP??
Old 10-04-09, 08:03 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by horent135
How are all those IS300 boosted car makes good HP??
Beefing up the bottom end, or a GTE.
Old 10-05-09, 11:45 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not swapping the motor so i can get 15 hp.

I have a high mileage motor, and im just looking for viable options in-case the one i have does go.

And i know there are members with 1jzgte swaps on the forum in CA, but like i said, thats not a viable option for ME.

Thanks.
Well if you are thinking about smog time... Like it was said before... Putting an OBDII setup on a OBD1 platform = a no no from your friends at the smog place.

I guess if you want to be prepared for when your engine dies. You will need a non VVTi engine, to keep it CA smog legal.

Reason why I say non VVTi but not OBDII it's because you can use your wiring/and ecu to convert the OBDII to an OBDI. There wasn't and VVTi OBDI so... you are out of luck.
Old 10-05-09, 10:25 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

what about using a vvt-i head on a non vvt-i ge block what is needed is it a direct swap ow not???
Old 10-05-09, 11:26 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 76mmturbo
what about using a vvt-i head on a non vvt-i ge block what is needed is it a direct swap ow not???

You can do that if your car came with vvt-i, like a 98+ SC/GS/IS etc.... then you can stick an older bottom end onto it, or you could just put stronger rods in the vvt-i block since thats the weak spot.
Old 10-05-09, 11:39 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

what about if its the other way around im using aem but i want a vvt-i head they seem to make more power all around over the non vvti head turbo of course i have a 93 sc300
Old 10-06-09, 05:04 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 76mmturbo
what about if its the other way around im using aem but i want a vvt-i head they seem to make more power all around over the non vvti head turbo of course i have a 93 sc300
Honestly man its a waste of time, most people that are wanting serious power switch out the cams anyway and go with off the shelf HKS or some custom grind, there is a reason the guys that make big numbers use a ported GTE head with cams in it, no need to reinvent the wheel here........

Quick Reply: Non VVTI to VVTI?