Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC300 AC/Heater control not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 11:00 AM
DeanBird
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1uzDreamSC
if your cig lighter isn't working either then its your fuse for sure.
replace it even if its good and make sure its snug

it will work trust me
Definitely. We had one of those iPod players plugged into the cigarette ligher. It was shorting out the 15A fuse.

The cigarette lighter and the climate controls share a fuse.

We have a 1995 SC 300. I think it was the second fuse from the right in the second row.
Old 03-09-10, 08:49 PM
Coeval
Driver School Candidate

Default Which fuses?

I think I have the same problem. The end of my ipod dock thingy came off in the cigarette lighter and the fuse inside that fell out and made a little spark, and now the ipod dock doesn't work. I didn't notice it at the time, but next time I turned the car on noticed the heat wasn't working at all - no display no nothing, just a blank screen which was still lit up. I don't know if my cig lighter is working or not... I don't have anything to plug into it to test.

My problem is I don't have the manual and don't know which fuses? I have 95 SC300. I'll check those 3 that alanchad mentioned, but does anyone have knowledge of if its the same as sc400 from a diff. year or not? Does anyone have an owners manual for 95 sc300?

I'll let y'all know if it works... I wish that other guy would come back and tell us how he fixed it but he probly never will.
Old 03-19-10, 05:36 PM
Coeval
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed it!

I fixed it! It was the #11 15 amp fuse inside the kick panel fuse box, second row, last one on the right, the one ostensibly for the cig lighter which it was, but is also apparently for the heater/AC controls, the outside temp display, and the buttons that change the clock time, but not the clock display itself (found that out when daylight savings rolled around).
Old 06-24-11, 12:39 AM
2jzVIP
Driver School Candidate

forgot to thank you haha but yeah it was the fuse! and ty sir!
Old 07-02-11, 10:39 PM
ScottyDoo
Driver School Candidate

Smile Worked for me

Been here 2 months, and this was my first post, 2 nights ago I droped a dime into my lighter after going to Del Taco at like 2am hahah. tryed to remove it before I drove away but didnt have tools, it sparked and poped the fuse but didnt know it linked to my AC!!!. thank god for this club!!!

Pulled the 15amp lighter fuse and replaced it, fixed all my problems!! huge huge Thumbs up!
now I can drive to work in 120* heat WITH AC!! and charge my phone!
Old 07-13-11, 09:07 AM
afrrealty
Rookie

What about if your climate control buttons and screen work, but you don't have any fan or temp control? The air just kinda falls out of the vent without any force, and trying to adjust the fan speed doesn't seem to make any difference. Same with the temp control. I don't notice any change in temp. Anyone have this problem and found a solution? Thanks!
Old 11-12-11, 05:49 AM
Tofubento
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ replace control unit? As well as check the harness and make sure its plugged in fully.

My problem might be a rather odd one, checked fuse, no fuse in position, put the fuse in. System turned on and worked , but started car and it died out.Now, it will randomly turn on and off ( the entire control unit ) meanwhile the radio and cig light do not work. The control unit lights up, but does nothing else. Though I wonder if the wiring system for it is like some cars where if a bulb is out that it messes with the rest of the bulbs/electronics on the same system/line.

I am ordering a new control unit, and have removed the , I believe dead, radio. ( I will be testing it this weekend ) The problem still persists...the radio had been removed at some point and then put back in by previous owner. ( forgot to mention I just picked the car up this week )

Has anyone else run into a similar problem with their control unit? Randomly kicking on and putting out air, then randomly turning off? I couldnt find any spliced or misplace wires, I am waiting on all my manuals to get to me so I can check the entire wiring harness if I need to. I also wonder if the problem maybe with the "backyard" repairs previous owner made...steering column wiper switch broke, so they wired a switch into fuse box for "mcguyver" switch for on/off. As well as several fuses are just plain missing from all the fuse boxes, an example is headlights where missing fuses, radio/control unit all missing their fuses.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-11, 10:29 AM
Tofubento
Driver

okay...so its gotten weirder.

The unit will turn on and blow air, but if i turn the car off or put the lighter fully in, the control unit, will turn off. To get it going again I simply pull a fuse from the kickpanel fuse box and the unit turns on and air blows again. I can put the fuse back and it still works, but the second I turn the car off or out of accessories the unit doesn't work.

Any one have something like that happen to them before?

I have a friend coming down from Seattle that knows more about wiring then me, he is going to teach/help me with the wiring issues I have. Or maybe someone else has had a similar problem.
Old 11-13-11, 07:39 PM
Tofubento
Driver

anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-20-11, 07:24 PM
Tofubento
Driver

Okay, checked fuses, checked wiring harness, purchased another climate control unit...this one only has buttons lighting up, where as the old one had everything light up and occasionally would allow me to press buttons to blow air....and we can not find anything that would be causing a malfunction with the climate controls.

So, I officially have no clue what so ever with what could be wrong. Has any one else had a similar experience? If you where able to fix it, can you please let me know how? I am not looking forward to having the dealership diag it..
Old 11-22-11, 03:14 PM
Greensclex
Driver School Candidate

im having the same problem..kinda.. so my climate control works when im in park, but as soon as i move it to drive, the climate control turns off..before i use to just chage the fuse but now i noticed that it just turns on and off now so it has to be a wiring problem right?
Old 11-22-11, 09:21 PM
Tofubento
Driver

anyone?
Old 04-10-12, 05:47 PM
food7373
Pole Position

I have the same problem with the back light staying on but the displays randomly going on and off and no air when it is off. I've discovered that when it is off, the clock will not change numbers. This is leading me to believe it is possibly a relay or a fuse. I will get back when I figure it out so everyone can have theirs fixed as well!
Old 04-10-12, 06:16 PM
food7373
Pole Position

Okay, so I'm going to diagnose this problem and post the solution for all the people who are bugged out about this happening. So I will describe my problem. My displays for the climate control randomly go out and are not on most of the time. During the period when they are out, there is no air blowing. The backlight for the climate control unit does stay on though. Indicating that there is power going to the unit. I also have figured out that the clock on the dash will no change time when the display is out. The clock stays on, but will not change at all. It will change to degrees and stuff, but you can't change the hours. So the things I have done so far is take out the unit and check the connections, and that seems to be good to go. I also have checked all of the fuses and they are all A-okay. So, I'm beginning to believe that it might be a relay. For some stupid reason, the relay diagram is not in the owners manual. I'm going to search for a diagram, and if anyone has one, please post it! Thank you guys.
Old 04-26-12, 01:17 PM
food7373
Pole Position

So another update on the problem I have been describing. I replaced my unit with a new unit, and it did not fix it. So anyone with my problem, do NOT buy a new unit! I'm still continuing to research this and will post about it when I figure it out!

Quick Reply: 93 SC300 AC/Heater control not working