Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those running a getrag and 6-speed rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 05:10 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
TTSC3, what's the problem with the carbonetics? are you running the heavy or lighter pressure plate?
It's just total ****ing junk, and they don't stand by their products either. You can go on SF and see the amount of failed Carbonetic multi plate clutches, and it's ridiculous. They say "don't race with it", but wtf are you supposed to do with it? So it's a 3k dollar clutch that is meant for dynos only? LOL. I mean, get real! Basically, if you launch it hard, it will warp the floater plates. Mine not only did that, but it the diaphragm got screwed up, and all from ONE pass. My clutch is the one with the heavier pressure plate, only had 5k miles on it, and had never been raced. I got it repaired and put it back in, but only because I had to have it ready for the TV show. As soon as it comes back, it's coming out, and something else is going in. But if there are any Carbonetic lovers out there, fear not! I heard you can buy the 9 plate carbon/carbon unit for the bargain price of $15,999! LMAO!
Old 09-23-09, 06:01 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

That's not what I wanted to hear.

I bought my carbonetic triple with the heavy plate 2 years ago direct from competition clutch and I've had great success with it. Granted I only make ~700whp and don't drag race, but everytime I take the car out is sees multiple WOT highway pulls. I would guess I have ~3 or 4k hard miles on it.

I've been on SF and can't recall any specific thread relating to triple plate failure. Are these happening in drag racing scenarios only?

How much did they charge you for the repair?
Old 09-23-09, 06:20 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
That's not what I wanted to hear.

I bought my carbonetic triple with the heavy plate 2 years ago direct from competition clutch and I've had great success with it. Granted I only make ~700whp and don't drag race, but everytime I take the car out is sees multiple WOT highway pulls. I would guess I have ~3 or 4k hard miles on it.

I've been on SF and can't recall any specific thread relating to triple plate failure. Are these happening in drag racing scenarios only?

How much did they charge you for the repair?
You're ok just doing hwy pulls. Launching it is what kills it. Just do a search for Carbonetic triple discs, and you'll see the problems in those threads. I never bothered to check, but this had happened to many people before me, so there were warnings buried in the archives of SF, but I never saw them.

As far as the repair, I didn't use them. I would NEVER let the people that designed this ****ty product repair it. I took it to my clutch guy, and we went over it, tested it, machined it to spec, tested it again, and put it back in. The other guys on SF had Carbonetic repair it, and I heard they got charged about $500. It cost me about half that.
Old 09-23-09, 07:12 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSC3
You're ok just doing hwy pulls. Launching it is what kills it. Just do a search for Carbonetic triple discs, and you'll see the problems in those threads. I never bothered to check, but this had happened to many people before me, so there were warnings buried in the archives of SF, but I never saw them.

As far as the repair, I didn't use them. I would NEVER let the people that designed this ****ty product repair it. I took it to my clutch guy, and we went over it, tested it, machined it to spec, tested it again, and put it back in. The other guys on SF had Carbonetic repair it, and I heard they got charged about $500. It cost me about half that.
Huh. I remember seeing a ton about the RPS carbons.... but I'm with LexusFTW I don't remember seeing a whole lot about Carbonetics failing. Granted I'm not in the Drag racing section much.
Old 09-23-09, 09:30 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Huh. I remember seeing a ton about the RPS carbons.... but I'm with LexusFTW I don't remember seeing a whole lot about Carbonetics failing. Granted I'm not in the Drag racing section much.
Twincharge (screename), was testing the Carbon/Carbon units, and had used the standard triple plate, and did the same thing I did. If you want, one of you can post a thread about people who launched on them, and you'll see the replies you get. I guess it's pretty common knowledge with this clutch having metal floaters in it.
Old 09-23-09, 09:41 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSC3
Twincharge (screename), was testing the Carbon/Carbon units, and had used the standard triple plate, and did the same thing I did. If you want, one of you can post a thread about people who launched on them, and you'll see the replies you get. I guess it's pretty common knowledge with this clutch having metal floaters in it.
No need for that, I believe you. Again I never really researched launching it, most of the information I got was from the highway kings giving feedback. Good stuff to know.
Old 09-23-09, 09:45 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
No need for that, I believe you. Again I never really researched launching it, most of the information I got was from the highway kings giving feedback. Good stuff to know.
Oh, it's cool. I don't want another member to make the same mistake I made. I mean, there are better clutches out there that will handle the abuse, some of which cost less too. ATS doesn't stand behind their product, and for me, it's not the first time I've had a defective product from them...but it is the last. After the research I've done and talking to people on there, I'm gonna change it to an OS Giken quad plate and that should do the trick. With that said, if you are just gonna do hwy pulls, and get on the dyno, then I guess it'll be ok. I just think there are better options if that's all you need your clutch to do.