Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sudden rich condition out of nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 12:02 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden rich condition out of nowhere

Ok, car is a jdm 2jzgte stock usdm twins, stock jdm ecu, adjustable fpr.

I have been getting sudden pig rich conditions when I drive the car for more than 25-30 minutes.

Before that time my a/f relatively stay above and around 12 even at an idle of ~700 rpm.

At 25-30 minutes, it suddenly drops to around 10 at idle drops very gradually to a little less that 500 rpms.

Fuel pressure at stock 25 psi.

Engine doesn't appear to be overheating. Looking at the stock temp guage, it stays operating temperature.

BUT during the swap the temp guage was missing a ground and read hot till I grounded it.

Following is the source.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...with-pics.html

Could this mod have anything to do with it?
Is this normal?
Old 09-09-09, 12:55 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

what injectors are you running?
Old 09-09-09, 01:46 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

stock 440 cc jdm I assume.
Old 09-09-09, 02:59 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

with JDM ecu and 550cc inj, my AFR's would drop to about 10:1 once warm. startup was around stoich and then would taper around 12:1 untill warm.

are you sure 25psi is the factory fuel pressure setting? I was thinking more closer to 40-50 psi range.....
Old 09-09-09, 03:07 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wanganstyl
with JDM ecu and 550cc inj, my AFR's would drop to about 10:1 once warm. startup was around stoich and then would taper around 12:1 untill warm.

are you sure 25psi is the factory fuel pressure setting? I was thinking more closer to 40-50 psi range.....

According to USDM fsm its 22-32. Funny thing is. I have a mine's tuned ECU which I opened up and it said 550 on the chip but can't confirm on injector. BUT I'm not running it since we don't have 100RON gas here which it is probably tuned to.

Any Idea on how to check if it is 440 cc? don't see any numbers on them.

Last edited by lemmiewink; 09-09-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 12:01 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

there should be part numbers on the injectors, my 550cc denso's i could read and ID with the numbers.
Old 09-14-09, 04:05 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Hmm I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
Old 09-14-09, 08:10 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's "out of nowhere", then... I don't really understand what the injectors have to do with anything... unless one is stuck open. So asking what kind of injectors you have is kind of irrelevant. Check the resistances of the coolant sensors, one is for the gauge and the other is for the ECU. If one is out of spec and is reading much hotter than what it really is, it could cause problems like that. Might also want to try another 02 sensor if you're still bone stock ECU (Mine's included). Are you experiencing anything else? Boosting different, and CELs, etc?
Old 09-14-09, 08:18 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

mine will do the same thing when i dont drive it for a while. i dont know what it is yet. im thinking a bad 02 sensor. some days it will drive pig rich unltill i shut it off for a while then its back to normal
Old 09-14-09, 11:10 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
If it's "out of nowhere", then... I don't really understand what the injectors have to do with anything... unless one is stuck open. So asking what kind of injectors you have is kind of irrelevant. Check the resistances of the coolant sensors, one is for the gauge and the other is for the ECU. If one is out of spec and is reading much hotter than what it really is, it could cause problems like that. Might also want to try another 02 sensor if you're still bone stock ECU (Mine's included). Are you experiencing anything else? Boosting different, and CELs, etc?
He said he had the same symptoms because he swapped out 440 cc jdm for the 550 cc usdm. Thats why it was relevant.

Will check the sensors. Nothing else is different. Boosts ok. No CELs. Its just supper rich if I drive for an extended period.
Old 09-14-09, 11:17 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
He said he had the same symptoms because he swapped out 440 cc jdm for the 550 cc usdm. Thats why it was relevant.

Will check the sensors. Nothing else is different. Boosts ok. No CELs. Its just supper rich if I drive for an extended period.
Missed that, my bad.

It sounds like either a coolant sensor resistance being wrong, or IAT sensor on the mani being off, 02 sensor going bad, or something to that effect. There's only a certain number of things that can give you those symptoms with no CELs and everything is still good elsewhere.

BTW is it any harder to start than normal?
Old 09-15-09, 10:41 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Missed that, my bad.

It sounds like either a coolant sensor resistance being wrong, or IAT sensor on the mani being off, 02 sensor going bad, or something to that effect. There's only a certain number of things that can give you those symptoms with no CELs and everything is still good elsewhere.

BTW is it any harder to start than normal?
Actually it starts right up and purrs like a kitten. Sometimes in less then a second but no more than two.
Old 09-15-09, 04:44 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
mine will do the same thing when i dont drive it for a while. i dont know what it is yet. im thinking a bad 02 sensor. some days it will drive pig rich unltill i shut it off for a while then its back to normal
I hope you get yours resolved also. I haven't had the time to check my sensor. I'll do them tomorrow.
Things to check are

o2

IAT

coolant temp sensor

Is it possible that my engine IS overheating? Just not showing it on the temp sensor.
Old 09-15-09, 08:11 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

search around the soarer, supra, 2j forums for why and how the 2j richens the fuel mixture.

usually coolant temp and o2 sensors.

if the coolant guage works as normal, its the o2 sensor/s.

the O2 sensor has to be before the cats to get the propper o2 reading and it does take some time for the sensor to read accurately, 5 - 10 mins or so.

guess clean the sensors with electrical connector cleaner before replacing
Old 09-15-09, 09:16 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem due to the fact that I had an o2 unplugged on my 1uz.

But, it would idle and drive fine with a cold start. On a hot start it would idle and drive fine untill (I assume) it went into closed loop.

The coolant sensor affects the AFR ratio more than you might think, definately worth looking into. Or, just go ahead and replace it! They are not expensive.

KC

Quick Reply: Sudden rich condition out of nowhere