Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Urgent help- 93 sc400 computer and camshaft power sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 02:15 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help- 93 sc400 computer and camshaft power sensor

Ok, so my car wasnt starting the other day and I had it taken to the shop, after 6-7 hours of messing around with it they called me back and said the plugs werent igniting because the camshaft power sensor was out....they replaced the sensor and called me back, this time theyre saying that now the car is barely running because the badsensor caused the computer to shortcircuit.....

Is this shop playing games with me? Is it possible for the camshaft power sensor to short the ECU? Theyre telling me a computer rebuild would cost
700$....this car cost me 4000$ and it doesnt seem right that a month later im paying 1000$ to get it started again.....

if anyone can help, tell me what i need to do, or provide any kind of advice it would be greatly appreciated....thanks
Old 08-21-09, 02:22 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

Also- the 93 v8 engine is the 1UZ-FE, correct? I am tentatively thinking of buying a recycled ECU and fixing it myself, i seriously do NOT want to junk this car, that would be BULL
Old 08-23-09, 11:28 AM
95silversc
Rookie

Sounds kinda fishy to me. I do not like the way your shop thinks. I had to work with ppl like that and it forced me out of the public car repair business.

Im hearing the techs at the shop saying something like this in the background:

"Lets swap this part that might fix it. Also lets not do any testing first to verify that the problem has been found. Lets then have the customer buy the part then if it doesnt work lets call and ask him to buy more parts so we can swap them and see if that fixes it! RANDOM PARTS SWAPPING IS FTW YALL!!!!"

I worked in a shop with ppl like this. I had to quit. Ppl would be like "omg you work there??? They ****ed me over." Then one in 10 would go "oh ya you work there? Ive always had good service but everyone else I know complains about it any idea why?" Why yes I do, half the techs are incompetent and the other half work really hard cleaning up their messes.

From the info you gave us I cant say weather or not I think its the ECU. It might be idk. I cant tell.

Assuming they are correct and it is the ECU...Ive never priced one but $700 bux to have urs rebuilt seems like crap to me. I bet you could find a used one in a salvage yard for less. And it would be the same quality im betting.

Anyone know what a used ECU costs for his car?

Also to the OP- if you can give more details on how exactly your car was "not starting" somebody might be able to provide more help!
Old 08-27-09, 11:35 PM
AEMxRACER
Driver School Candidate

I got my car back from the shop today after the ECU rebuild...and it seems like theres something with the acceleration, i have to literally like FLOOR the pedal to get the engine over like 2500 RPMS, and ive started getting a strong smell of gas when i start the car/ move it out of P- but there are no leaks, no fluids underneath the car.....the other thing is this light just popped on the in the cluster, its right above where the 2 is on the tach (lol, forgive the crude description) and its like the outline of the car from overhead with these 3 lines pointing downward from each side of the back....i thought maybe it had to do with the brake lights but they seem to be working fine....any idea what the light indicates?